Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Massive influx of Romanian and Bulgarians before borders even open Watch

• View Poll Results: Should the UK government say enough is enough and close border to Romania + Bulgaria
    Yes close the border- we do not need them, we don't have the jobs, social housing, schools, NHS
    69.70%
    No- unlimited immigration as EU allows should continue
    30.30%

ReputationRep:
    The government predicted 35,000 in 2014 well more have come in the last 3 months. There are already 140,000 in the UK rising 36%. Beyond a joke we have no jobs, not enough housing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23707274

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/422...rs-36-per-cent

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ures-show.html

This is after the chaos that has hit Germany after their influx and German minister complaining of Roma ghettos
    http://www.catholic.org/internationa...y.php?id=51754

Should the government grow a pair and say enough is enough and say we don't need or want Romanian or Bulgarian immigrants

ReputationRep:
    Wait, both Romania and Bulgaria are already in the EU, so what do you mean by ''before borders even open''? Both have been in the union for at least 5 years now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Wait, both Romania and Bulgaria are already in the EU, so what do you mean by ''before borders even open''? Both have been in the union for at least 5 years now..
    yes but there is a 7 year wait before restrictions on movement end which is 1st Jan 2014 and they are already flooding in

ReputationRep:
    Great news for Neo-Liberals, just think 141,000 cheap labour resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Great news for Neo-Liberals, just think 141,000 cheap labour resources.
    that is why the government support immigration= drives down wages, Brits dependent on benefits, rents and house prices higher and higher

Why do we have to offer residence to the entire population of Europe?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ace123)
      The government predicted 35,000 in 2014 well more have come in the last 3 months. There are already 140,000 in the UK rising 36%. Beyond a joke we have no jobs, not
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ures-show.html

This is after the chaos that has hit Germany after their influx and German minister complaining of Rom
      Should the government grow a pair and say enough is enough and say we don't need or want Romanian or Bulgarian immigrants
      Well, every country has problems with gypsies, it is just that it is not the faulth of Romania or Bulgaria if they flocked in the EU.

They just fail to integrate in.society and even our government is giving them advantage when their kids are getting admitted in schools. But int does not help because the gypsy kids are living school without ending it. Of course they are encouraged by their parents to do that. They are having income by forcing their kids to beg for money on streets.
      Gypsies are mostly living in isolated areas

ReputationRep:
      im an immigrant but see myself as english more as i aged. i think these new EU people should most likely be put in pakistani areas theyre not diverse just looks all the same
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      While government predictions will certainly be too low (probably more like 200,000 next year and lowering afterward) i have no real objection. The fact that less than 30,000 came in 3 months is really not that bad though.

ReputationRep:
      They took our jobs!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Moosferatu)
      They took our jobs!
      I do think it's a bit mean to stereotype all immigrants as Daily Mail 'job stealers' - to an extent a *controlled number* migrants will help the economy to keep moving... though a massive influx of immigrants will probably do more harm in the long term.

Does anybody understand why we still don't have a green card system like Australia and America that encourages skilled workers / people with occupations which are a shortage here (like teachers, engineers etc.) to migrate and that gives points fairly to people based on things like being able to speak english well, having completed secondary school, number of dependant children etc. It's stupid to have either extreme of closing the border completely or allowing anyone to come.... clearly the best solution is something in the middle.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Piguy)
      I do think it's a bit mean to stereotype all immigrants as Daily Mail 'job stealers' - to an extent a *controlled number* migrants will help the economy to keep moving... though a massive influx of immigrants will probably do more harm in the long term.

Does anybody understand why we still don't have a green card system like Australia and America that encourages skilled workers / people with occupations which are a shortage here (like teachers, engineers etc.) to migrate and that gives points fairly to people based on things like being able to speak english well, having completed secondary school, number of dependant children etc. It's stupid to have either extreme of closing the border completely or allowing anyone to come.... clearly the best solution is something in the middle.
      I was referencing South Park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

It makes more sense in context.

ReputationRep:
      Oh no! Workers! Whatever shall we do?!?!
      Seriously though this argument is getting dull. We have plenty of resources to accomodate people and we arent just letting all of europe in the country. Most dont want to come here.
      Also immigrants tend to be less of a strain on the country than nationals due to higher employment rates.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The_Duck)
      Oh no! Workers! Whatever shall we do?!?!
      Seriously though this argument is getting dull. We have plenty of resources to accomodate people and we arent just letting all of europe in the country. Most dont want to come here.
      Also immigrants tend to be less of a strain on the country than nationals due to higher employment rates.
      I agree with you to some extent.

There's evidence to show that immigrants on average, are less likely to be on benefits and are less likely to need social housing. However, this doesn't mean there aren't any.

The real issue is population growth and space. At the current pace, the UK is going to struggle (or perhaps is already struggling with a shortage of social housing). Immigration needs curbing - but there needs to be more emphasis on stopping illegal immigrants arriving and deporting them.

We must not forget the media has done a lot to tarnish immigrants with the same brush - that they're all criminals, sponging off the welfare state, taking up spaces in schools, taking jobs and putting a strain on the NHS. Look at the other side of things, the value they bring, one of which is making up for the lack of skills, such as engineering and previously, low-skilled or unskilled labour.

It's only now that a lot of the unskilled or low-skilled work has been swallowed up, people are pointing the finger at immigrants. Of course they bear some of the blame (not because they're immigrants, but simply because of the population growth), but so do the underclass who only now start whining about there being no jobs, but before they were more than happy to live on benefits for the rest of their life!

I'm digressing a bit. I think we need a temporary halt on immigration or at least limit it, so the Immigration Office and whatnot can sort out their files (some of which date back to the early 90's), and so the government has time to reform immigration and bring it up to date. This would decrease the strain when dealing with such controversial issues.

Regards,

Circles.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Circles)
      I agree with you to some extent.

There's evidence to show that immigrants on average, are less likely to be on benefits and are less likely to need social housing. However, this doesn't mean there aren't any.

Well yes, but this doesn't constitute an argument about immigration.

The real issue is population growth and space. At the current pace, the UK is going to struggle (or perhaps is already struggling with a shortage of social housing). Immigration needs curbing - but there needs to be more emphasis on stopping illegal immigrants arriving and deporting them.

Not really. Our birth rate is always falling, such that immigration won't cause our population to rise. Also illegal immigrants are a small proportion of the population. However I do agree that having immigrants incapable of working in the country seems silly.

We must not forget the media has done a lot to tarnish immigrants with the same brush - that they're all criminals, sponging off the welfare state, taking up spaces in schools, taking jobs and putting a strain on the NHS. Look at the other side of things, the value they bring, one of which is making up for the lack of skills, such as engineering and previously, low-skilled or unskilled labour.

They don't really lack skills though. Eastern europe has excellent emphasis on education nowadays. Otherwise completely agree.

It's only now that a lot of the unskilled or low-skilled work has been swallowed up, people are pointing the finger at immigrants. Of course they bear some of the blame (not because they're immigrants, but simply because of the population growth), but so do the underclass who only now start whining about there being no jobs, but before they were more than happy to live on benefits for the rest of their life!

Yep.

I'm digressing a bit. I think we need a temporary halt on immigration or at least limit it, so the Immigration Office and whatnot can sort out their files (some of which date back to the early 90's), and so the government has time to reform immigration and bring it up to date. This would decrease the strain when dealing with such controversial issues.

I don't really see how that comes from your previous arguments. We agree that they are good workers, I don't see why we should stop them coming here. Also damaging EU relations seems like a poor idea. Increasing the efficiency of the immigration offices does seem like a better idea.

Regards,

Circles.
      Answer in quote

ReputationRep:
      I have no problem with people coming over here provided they are willing to learn English to be honest, or are required to speak a certain level/given lessons when they arrive. Of course i'm not saying they should totally abandon their own culture and language.

ReputationRep:
      Roma people = petty crime + uncivilised behaviour.
      We will end up with arming police officers and introducing criminal forfeiture to fund the force that will soon have to rapidly grow in size.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.