Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    cobalt chloride... i dont think it said paper tho which was weird

ReputationRep:
    Cobalt chloride paper, I think. I looked at it and thought it said copper sulphate at first as well...

ReputationRep:
    Can someone confirm the ionic equation question for

Also what was in the early atmosphere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    Can someone confirm the ionic equation question for

Also what was in the early atmosphere?
    I got Cl2 + 2Br- -> Br2 + 2Cl-
    And the early atmosphere, I can confirm, was full of Co2, H2, N2, water vapour, and CO. Mostly CO2, and virtually no O.

ReputationRep:
    For the Emprical Formula Question I came to B02 which is wrong, but would I get like 2 marks for method marks?

The rest was very good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frosty3001)
    For the Emprical Formula Question I came to B02 which is wrong, but would I get like 2 marks for method marks?

The rest was very good!
    Yeah i'm sure you can expect 1 or 2 method marks, which makes the question not so bad for the people who attempted and got wrong.

ReputationRep:
    the method for empirical formulas...

moles = mass / RAM
    mass = moles * RAM
    indicate theres a ratio of 1:1.5 approx.
    if you do that, thats at least 2 out of 3 marks...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I got giant covalent and simple covalent. I didn't think it could be ionic since it was 2 non-metals? I may be completely wrong. I'm finding more and more things I did wrong now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJB)
    so JayG99, do you reckon you actually got anything wrong? :P and if so what....
    the last 2 questions were ionic because of electro. etc., and then covalent because of weak intermolecular forces... right?
    No the first was Giant Covalent due to high boiling point and a poor conductor of electricity. The second was Molecular due to low boiling point. Its definitely those because in the passage before it mentioned Diamond which is a Giant Covalent Structure!

ReputationRep:
    damn it i knew it... right... so would i get a mark for the second half if i said covalent because low boiling point indicates weak intermoleular forces then?
    so i only lose 2 marks there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJB)
    the method for empirical formulas...

moles = mass / RAM
    mass = moles * RAM
    indicate theres a ratio of 1:1.5 approx.
    if you do that, thats at least 2 out of 3 marks...
    Yeah from previous mark schemes, 1 mark is awarded for deducing the amount of oxygen present for the oxide. Although I did get 1:1.5 ratio this wasnt the final formula i.e. BO1.5. But would I get a second mark here for 1:1.5?

ReputationRep:
    The water question was white -> blue (it was about that copper sulphate stuff) - when you add water it hydrates it and it forms blue crystals. I also got B2O3 for the empirical, and 32.5 for the mass. I got the ionic equasion wrong, and have no idea how there were 3 marks for saying "bubble CO2 through limewater and it will turn cloudy".

I found it mostly OK, actually I thought it went better than Biology...

Triple paper will probably have the Haber process on it, and more about characteristics of groups since there wasn't much of that.

ReputationRep:
    yeah youd get a mark for converting mass to moles
    one mark for getting a ratio
    one mark for correct formula

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohemian)
    The water question was white -> blue (it was about that copper sulphate stuff) - when you add water it hydrates it and it forms blue crystals. I also got B2O3 for the empirical, and 32.5 for the mass. I got the ionic equasion wrong, and have no idea how there were 3 marks for saying "bubble CO2 through limewater and it will turn cloudy".

Triple paper will probably have the Haber process on it, and more about characteristics of groups since there wasn't much of that.

i guarantee you 100% it didnt say copper sulphate...it said cobaly chloride, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohemian)

The water question was Blue -> Pink, not White to Blue.
    White to Blue refers to white anhydrous copper sulphate, being hydrated and turning blue. The questions didn't ask for this. The question asked for Anhydrous Cobalt Cholride, which goes Blue -> Pink.
    Sorry.

And as for the ionic and covalent confusion, I didn't know but like many of you i wrote Giant Lattic for the structure -> because of it's high boiling point, and for the other i wrote Simple Covalent Structure (?), because of the low boiling point.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i got it wrong... but the table said the melting points, not boiling points like everyones saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJB)
    yeah i got it wrong... but the table said the melting points, not boiling points like everyones saying
    True say, apologies. Similar things anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayG99)
    White to Blue refers to white anhydrous copper sulphate, being hydrated and turning blue.
    The q definitely said something about anhydrous...I remember thinking "what the hell does that mean"...oh well. Serves me right for not reading the questions properly
    I did put giant covalent lattice and then simple covalent though. That's good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayG99)
    White to Blue refers to white anhydrous copper sulphate, being hydrated and turning blue. The questions didn't ask for this. The question asked for Anhydrous Cobalt Cholride, which goes Blue -> Pink.
    Sorry.

And as for the ionic and covalent confusion, I didn't know but like many of you i wrote Giant Lattic for the structure -> because of it's high boiling point, and for the other i wrote Simple Covalent Structure (?), because of the low boiling point.

HUH? I cant remember can someone confirm whether it said anhydrous copper sulphate or Cobalt Chloride?

I put white --> blue so i wanna verify whether i got the marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJB)
    lol yup... so answer my question JayG... u feel u got anythign wrong?

look, it was definitely NOT CuSO4... it was cobalt chloride.. TRUST.
    I don't know if I got anything wrong. I'm no genius, so yeah probabily slipped a few marks here and there. Still good for A*. And yep, you're right, it WAS cobalt chloride.
    An important lesson there to read the question, and check your answers carefully!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.