Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure it said Colbalt Chloride?

ReputationRep:
    It definitely said cobalt chloride - I nearly got caught out as well!

Does anyone have any idea about the grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xemmajanex)
    It definitely said cobalt chloride - I nearly got caught out as well!

Does anyone have any idea about the grade boundaries?
    Chem is around 74 for an A*. Variable of course, but i think it'll remain around there.

ReputationRep:
    There's no debate, it was most certainly anhydrous cobalt chloride.

I had no idea about it, guessed black to blue.

The grade boundaries will obviously be quite high (assuming the separate science paper is about the same), I'd say 85% for an A* and 75% for an A.

ReputationRep:
    What happened to the polypropene when bromine water was added? I put it turned darker (but didn't decolourize) because there were no carbon-carbon double bounds. I'm not sure whether it goes dark or not though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeathAwaitsU)
    There's no debate, it was most certainly anhydrous cobalt chloride.

I had no idea about it, guessed black to blue.

The grade boundaries will obviously be quite high (assuming the separate science paper is about the same), I'd say 85% for an A* and 75% for an A.
    90% is an A* in any science. But it's 90% in terms of UMS points. 74 is like 180 UMS points, which is 90% -> A*. (That's what i've been told, anyway)
    Chem is the lowest of all the science grade boundaries, which i found baffling because it's the easiest...isn't it? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeathAwaitsU)
    What happened to the polypropene when bromine water was added? I put it turned darker (but didn't decolourize) because there were no carbon-carbon double bounds. I'm not sure whether it goes dark or not though...
    Oh snap, there we go. That's where i lost my marks. I assumed it was talking about propene, not polypropene! So i wrote it turns red-brown bromine water colourless...silly me. Or is that right? Surely not?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it would stay the same because the polypropene cannot open up any bonds to bond ith the bromide ions.

ReputationRep:
    The correct answer is that the bromine does NOT change colour i.e. stays orange. I remembered it from a previous mark sheme to a similar question, so its what i put!

ReputationRep:
    I did the same!! I suppose that since polypropene is saturated, there won't be any colour change. The more I think about it, the more mistakes I think I've made... I should probably just go and revise Physics :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayG99)
    90% is an A* in any science. But it's 90% in terms of UMS points. 74 is like 180 UMS points, which is 90% -> A*. (That's what i've been told, anyway)
    Chem is the lowest of all the science grade boundaries, which i found baffling because it's the easiest...isn't it? :rolleyes:
    I dont understand UMS points? So 90% = 74% in the actual paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xemmajanex)
    I did the same!! I suppose that since polypropene is saturated, there won't be any colour change. The more I think about it, the more mistakes I think I've made... I should probably just go and revise Physics :p:
    I hate trick questions! But I have a serious lack of common sense, so :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frosty3001)
    I dont understand UMS points? So 90% = 74% in the actual paper?
    74 MARKS out of 90, converts to 180/200 UMS points, supposing the A* boundary is similar to last year. Does that clear it up?
    It was actually someone on this forum who told me how it works, and as edexcel use UMS points for French, it makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    This is edexcel not AQA>..

ReputationRep:
    i reckon it will be higher than that this time.... A* will be nearer 80/81 in my humblest of opinions...
    is this right?
    alkane, 2 marks
    hydrocarbon consisting of only H and C, with a general formula of CnH2n+2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    This is edexcel not AQA>..
    I'm aware that this is edexcel. It was what i was told. What's your verdict? How does the mark scheme work?

And RJB, exactly what i wrote pretty much word for word.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, to put it bluntly

ReputationRep:
    I said alkanes are part of a homologous series of hydrocarbons. General formula is CnH2n+2. Saturated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, but for modular triple award, the mark needed overall for an A* is usually about 85%

ReputationRep:
    So the correct answer is definitely that bromine water stays orange...?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.