Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

1 A* short of my offer at Univeristy of Manchester Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I needed A*A*A to study Physics (MPhys) including Physics and Maths, what I got was A* in English Lit (!) and A's in Physics, Maths and Further Maths.

On Track, my offer still says conditional from Manchester (luckily my insurance has changed to unconditional since I've met their grades so I'm still going to uni! ).

I'm trying to call the clearing line to either confirm or fight for my place, though naturally it's pretty busy.

Should I be calling another line, ie. The Department of Physics and Astronomy at Manchester? Or shall I just keep calling the clearing line with my fingers crossed?

Many thanks in advance, I really do want to get into Manchester!

ReputationRep:
    Keep ringing. Clearing or admissions line is probably the best. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Be persistent. You'll get through eventually.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotcoedotuk)
    So I needed A*A*A to study Physics (MPhys) including Physics and Maths, what I got was A* in English Lit (!) and A's in Physics, Maths and Further Maths.

On Track, my offer still says conditional from Manchester (luckily my insurance has changed to unconditional since I've met their grades so I'm still going to uni! ).

I'm trying to call the clearing line to either confirm or fight for my place, though naturally it's pretty busy.

Should I be calling another line, ie. The Department of Physics and Astronomy at Manchester? Or shall I just keep calling the clearing line with my fingers crossed?

You could try calling the school directly (0161 2754210 for UG admissions) but keep calling the clearing hotline as well - they'll probably transfer you to the school to speak to an admissions tutor anyway. Since you're trying to confirm a place and not get one through clearing, calling the school directly doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Remember to think up some good reasons about why you want to do the course in advance! Good luck!

ReputationRep:

Keep ringing the Clearing line, but I think your chances are fairly good, as they have dropped their requirements to AAA in Clearing.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Unis have a Confirmation Hotline you can ring to ask. Do not ring Clearing (I don't think it's allowed to confirm places using that number, you could keep trying though if Manchester works like that). I have had a look at their website, I can't even find if they have that hotline though they should. Yes, I'd ring the Department if you can't find the Confirmation Hotline number. Even try the regular Admissions number. I'll keep looking for you. I know what it's like to have your heart set on a uni - I've had mine set on Keele for 2 years! (Finally in!) Well done on your results.

EDIT: My mistake - it is the same number for Clearing and Confirmation at Manchester. Sorry about that. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Keep ringing the Clearing line, but I think your chances are fairly good, as they have dropped their requirements to AAA in Clearing.

Good luck!
    Thanks very much, that's good to hear!

ReputationRep:
    You could try contacting the school directly. This is Val Brennan's contact info (as per the fact file on the MPhys page here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...hys/fact-file/ ) +44 (0)161 306 9220

Good luck, their typical offer states A*A*A to A*AA. Here's hoping it is very good news when you do get through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crabbiey)
    Unis have a Confirmation Hotline you can ring to ask. Do not ring Clearing (I don't think it's allowed to confirm places using that number, you could keep trying though if Manchester works like that). I have had a look at their website, I can't even find if they have that hotline though they should. Yes, I'd ring the Department if you can't find the Confirmation Hotline number. Even try the regular Admissions number. I'll keep looking for you. I know what it's like to have your heart set on a uni - I've had mine set on Keele for 2 years! (Finally in!) Well done on your results.

EDIT: My mistake - it is the same number for Clearing and Confirmation at Manchester. Sorry about that. Good luck!
    Thanks very much for your help already, I really appreciate it! I've tried multiple numbers for the Dept. and all are unavailable; persistence is clearly the key here! Thank you and congratulations to you too.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly it seems it wasn't to be! I got through to the head of the department after a series of calls and unfortunately he either recommends I ask to be released or apply for the Foundation year instead. I'm going to think it all over and see what's best; I'm nevertheless very happy with Nottingham, but it's a real shame I didn't quite get my top choice!

ReputationRep:
    Just realised I didn't point out that Nottingham was my insurance choice in the first message, now you know!

ReputationRep:
    Sadly it seems it wasn't to be! I got through to the head of the department after a series of calls and unfortunately he either recommends I ask to be released or apply for the Foundation year instead. I'm going to think it all over and see what's best; I'm nevertheless very happy with Nottingham, but it's a real shame I didn't quite get my top choice!
    I have quite a few friends at Notts and they absolutely love it! Very well respected too! Well done on your grades, it's weird to think someone with A*AA can miss their offer but, as you say, your life isn't set in stone yet and you're going to have an awesome time at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horchata)
    I have quite a few friends at Notts and they absolutely love it! Very well respected too! Well done on your grades, it's weird to think someone with A*AA can miss their offer but, as you say, your life isn't set in stone yet and you're going to have an awesome time at uni
    That's great to hear! I've decided I'm going with Nottingham because I still loved the place & city, and like you say I'll have just as good a time I'm over the moon with my grades, so since it's not quite enough for Manchester I think there must be no pleasing them haha!

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame that it's worked out like that :sadnod:

If you want to speak to someone about the foundation year, then JuliusDS92 has just finished the foundation year at Manchester

(Original post by JuliusDS92)

ReputationRep:
    That's great to hear! I've decided I'm going with Nottingham because I still loved the place & city, and like you say I'll have just as good a time I'm over the moon with my grades, so since it's not quite enough for Manchester I think there must be no pleasing them haha!
    Nottingham is a great uni, had the best year of my life there! You'll love it. Congrats on your great results!

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame that it's worked out like that :sadnod:

If you want to speak to someone about the foundation year, then JuliusDS92 has just finished the foundation year at Manchester
    seems ridiculous someone with A*AAA would be reccomended for a 'foundation' year when they clearly don't need to take one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    seems ridiculous someone with A*AAA would be reccomended for a 'foundation' year when they clearly don't need to take one
    I agree. Their standard offer was A*A*A-A*AA in the first place FFS.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Their standard offer was A*A*A-A*AA in the first place FFS.
    And if this was Oxbridge we were talking about they'd have most likely met the offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    And if this was Oxbridge we were talking about they'd have most likely met the offer
    :sadnod:

Unlike some applicants we've had today, I think this one can feel justifiably miffed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kec)
    Nottingham is a great uni, had the best year of my life there! You'll love it. Congrats on your great results!
    Thank you so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.