Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I was hoping that I could get some help with a decesion ive been presented with.

I applied for Biochemistry at uni but today my first choice offered me a place but only if I switch to Biological Sciences.

My first choice of university has a better reputation, better connections with employers and better facilities, so im unsure whether to accept the Biological sciences course or stick with biochemistry at my insurance choice.

I want to use my degree to go into the pharmaceuticals industry, which means that I need to learn about mechanisms in the body, so would I still get the skills I needed by taking the biochemistry route in a Biological Sciences degree?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhbrowning)
    Ok so I was hoping that I could get some help with a decesion ive been presented with.

I applied for Biochemistry at uni but today my first choice offered me a place but only if I switch to Biological Sciences.

My first choice of university has a better reputation, better connections with employers and better facilities, so im unsure whether to accept the Biological sciences course or stick with biochemistry at my insurance choice.

I want to use my degree to go into the pharmaceuticals industry, which means that I need to learn about mechanisms in the body, so would I still get the skills I needed by taking the biochemistry route in a Biological Sciences degree?

Thanks in advance
    You've got 5 days to decide if you want to take this new course or not, so consider it carefully. Look at the module list and compare it to the course you wanted to do - is it actually more similar than you thought? Can you take optional modules that are more chemical-based?

Have a look through Clearing lists too - is there somewhere else offering Biochemistry or Pharmacology or similar that you like the look of? You could ask both your Firm and Insurance to release you into Clearing if you wanted to pursue this route.

How much better is your Firm than your Insurance? Reputation isn't everything - you get out of uni what you put in!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.