Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have been doing barbell curls for a few months now and I have started to notice a pain in my left wrist. It only started since I started using the 30kg barbell. I was wondering if I should change to an EZ bar completely or mix them up. I usually do 3 sets, so maybe I should do 2 using an EZ bar and 1 with a barbell ?

Have you tried a slightly lighter dumbbell to see if it still hurts? It might be just too heavy for you. Alternatively, you might have inadvertently injured your wrist and you haven't given it any time to heal.

ReputationRep:
      Maybe your grip is too narrow. Try it a bit wider. Just inside shoulder width works good for me. Or with no weight curl your hands up and see where the naturally sit, that's roughly your grip width without straining your wrists.

If all fails, use the EZ bar

ReputationRep:
      Are you keeping your wrists flat when curling?

If you sway your wrists just once or shoulder you can injure yourself, a lot of people bend their wrists mid lift which is dangerous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      I read people talk about wrist position etc, and it does matter. However, I myself have had this kind of problem for over a year and I suspect that it is down to carpal tunnel syndrome (although, try to get the doctor to actually diagnose it...). Goto the doctor and see what they say, perhaps press them about carpal tunnel syndrome too.

ReputationRep:
      Wow guys, thanks for the replies. I was just thinking about my grip and whether I keep my wrists straight throughout the movement
      I will try a lighter weight tomorrow and see how it goes. But thanks guys !

ReputationRep:
      Stop bicep curling every session! Are you Asian?

ReputationRep:
      Use an EZ bar, doing any kind of barbell curls with fully supinated wrists makes me feel like I have a one way ticket to snap city

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by McHumpy92)
      Stop bicep curling every session! Are you Asian?
      Sorry if I misled you, I only do bicep curls/bicep work once a week.

ReputationRep:
      If it's your wrist that hurts, perhaps it's not the gym activity, but rather your late-night activity.....

Spoiler:
      Show
      yeah, i'm alluding to masturbation .

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.