The Student Room Group

Failed your exams? Read this post for alternative options and my story

So, it is A-level results today (and GCSE results very soon!) and I am sure those who are waiting are feeling like a nervous wreck. That is how I felt when I got my GCSE results.

This is going back about 4-5 years ago now, but I will always remember it for every year that people get their results. I never used to bother revising for my exams, but instead used to go out and get drunk with my so called 'friends' and hang out with the boys. I thought I was invincible and just acted as if the exams were easy and not worth revising for, despite warnings from my subject teachers that it is very important, it just went through one ear and straight out the other.

I will never forget the day when I was away on holiday, so I got my friend (wish I hadn't now) to collect my results, and I told her to open them because I was.. Stupidly, quite excited that I passed them(?!) but she went silent, and started going... "Maths.... F", "RE...E", "Science...U" OMG, I told her to say no more, and hung up the phone and started crying my eyes out. My Dad, bless his heart kept saying he will pay for all of the exams for me to resit. But to be honest, I just couldn't comprehend the fact that I had failed them all because I made no such effort whatsoever, or didn't even bother going through the exam papers again because I didn't know anything about what I had learned or 'revised'.

I applied for a Business and Administration Level 1 at college because that was the lowest course I could get onto, and I got on very well but it got boring at times as I was very good at computers so I thought I would enjoy it but to be honest, it was far too complex for me and 'business' nature and I did not mix. The one thing I will always remember, is that I have always wanted to work in a Health industry.

I continued to get my Distinctions and Merits at college during the two years in Business and Administration, and also an NVQ in Administration and Customer Services. After completion, I did not want to go onto a BTEC in Business and Finance, but instead I wanted to kick-start my dream career and start in the Health and Social Care industry.

I had enough grades to actually apply for a BTEC Level 2 in Health and Social Care. I also secured a job as a Care Assistant to get the experience alongside, which was fantastic and I absolutely love it. I did not like the college at all though, the placement coordinator was appalling and completely swapped me and a girl's placement around to the complete opposite of what we wanted to do, so that went balls up, but I managed to juggle with work and college and passed my course.

I have applied for a couple of Access to HE courses, but I didn't get into any of them as 1) I am no good at maths at all, and passing rhe assessment is quite different in my case, 2) I work full time, and I need to so that I can afford to pay my rent, run my car to get to work and other necessities.

After thorough research and thank you to a member of TSR recommending Distance Learning Centre, I am now studying Access to Health Professions, and ringing/emailing universities asking them what grades they require to study Health and Social Care Management/Policies.

This is probably unnecessary and boring, but I just want to give hope to people that you do NOT need perfect GCSEs or A-level grades just to get into university (unless you are applying for Cambridge or Oxford) but there are other alternatives that can get you into your dream career. I have also gained an NVQ in Health and Social Care, and will be doing the NVQ Level 3 in Caring to become a Team Leader at my company until I go to university.

I thought it was the end of the world for me when I failed my GCSEs, but thanks to motivation, determination and research, I will get into university by 2014! And so will you, just be positive. :biggrin:
Congratulations!
Reply 2
wow you post make me reflect on myself you are right with motivation any is possible and i want to go to uni it goign take me few years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending