Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCE English UNIT LITB3 - Unexpectedly low results Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I received my results this morning, getting into Birmingham to study English & Philosophy with ABC, despite my offer being AAB.

My overall grade for English Lit was an A, however in the final exam (LITB3) I got a UMS of 63 and a D grade. This shocked me a little having got an A in the exam last year and both AS and A2 coursework. I felt the exam went well and in a similar question I'd completed as revision my teacher marked it as an A.

Perhaps I just had an off day but is it possible that the exam board undermarked my paper so badly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack C)
    Hi, I received my results this morning, getting into Birmingham to study English & Philosophy with ABC, despite my offer being AAB.

My overall grade for English Lit was an A, however in the final exam (LITB3) I got a UMS of 63 and a D grade. This shocked me a little having got an A in the exam last year and both AS and A2 coursework. I felt the exam went well and in a similar question I'd completed as revision my teacher marked it as an A.

Perhaps I just had an off day but is it possible that the exam board undermarked my paper so badly?
    Get it remarked.

I'm in the same position - got full ums last year in English lit, 93% coursework, full marks in LITB3 mock and straight As all year in class for it, did the exam and felt it went perfectly, got my result and it's a low D! Luckily I have still got an A overall for it, but I was expecting an A/A* for this exam and this D has hit me hard. Last year my school had problems with the marking for LITB3 and it has had small ones this year too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack C)

That is so freaky, I've just been rejected from my firm because I didn't get an A in English, which shocked me because I was certain I nailed this exam, the scary thing is I also got 63 UMS D, I honestly don't know how I got a D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zakkaz)
    That is so freaky, I've just been rejected from my firm because I didn't get an A in English, which shocked me because I was certain I nailed this exam, the scary thing is I also got 63 UMS D, I honestly don't know how I got a D.
    Mate you even got higher than me, I got 60 - absolute BS. This was the exam I felt most confident with and cannot believe the mark, get it remarked!

ReputationRep:
    I sent mine off for a priority remark, what about you? I hope it didn't affect your uni application.

ReputationRep:
    I sent mine off for a priority remark, what about you? I hope it didn't affect your uni application.

So have I. Um it did kinda, but I have a place on a gap year programme anyway so I didn't have to go through clearing or anything, no one in my school got higher than a B in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same. A last year, full UMS in the coursework, predicted an A*, A*s in every single mock, and I got a D.

ReputationRep:
    I've just got my LITB1 results. Got As all year and I got a C in this exam. Have AQA changed the boundaries or assessment objectives or something?!
    I got 100% in the coursework so it's a B overall. How hard would it be to get that pulled up to an A by the end of A2 without having to resit anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.Karenina)
    I'm exactly the same. A last year, full UMS in the coursework, predicted an A*, A*s in every single mock, and I got a D.
    Ditto, priority remark? I cannot see for the life of me how my answer could justify getting a low D grade, hoping my remark changes it a fair bit!

ReputationRep:
    I just checked the ums calculator and according to AQA my script was worth 30 raw marks out of 80, but I know that my section A alone was worth over 30 marks.

But all I can do now is wait...

ReputationRep:
    I just checked the ums calculator and according to AQA my script was worth 30 raw marks out of 80, but I know that my section A alone was worth over 30 marks.

But all I can do now is wait...
    Fingers crossed for you. I just did the same and apparently got 28 marks in total, averaging 14 on each section. In class I haven't got lower then 30 on either section, the marking is a joke!

ReputationRep:
    I just got my AS AQA litb result, I too got a D grade [63 marks], but I felt the exam went pretty well? I hit all the learning objectives like I was taught and genuinely thought I would've done better.

My concern is that if I get it remarked and then its graded lower, will my AS marks be lower? Or don't you have to take the remarked grade??

ReputationRep:
    Ended up getting a B overall because of this stupid exam, but thankfully my firm accepted me anyway! I just don't understand how I could've gotten 52 marks in that exam, I really thought it went quite well

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got weird in this exam, like 84 UMS or something, a B...I've gotten good grades (As) in everything else, and As and A*s in my essays...this was the only exam I've got a B in this year! And my friend who got Cs consistently got a low D, giving her a D overall rather than the C she was expecting...

I feel like I can't complain too much for mine because I did screw up my conclusions and rambled a tad so I wasn't expecting A* or anything, but I was still a bit surprised because a high B/low A because of the exam last year I'd done the same type of thing and came out with a decent UMS (105). I still got an A overall, so it's okay for me, but it was a bit odd and out of place...

ReputationRep:
    AQA are right to be taking an absolute hammering for this.

In my sixth form last June, in LITB1, only 3 out of around 60 got an A. Meanwhile, in LITB3, only one student got a B (everything else lower), therefore only one student getting an A for the whole A-level.

Considering AQA's marking last year (mine was changed by 15 raw marks post remark), I was convinced I'd squandered any chance of getting the A* immediately after leaving the A2 exam. After seeing the grade boundaries, I was positive. Amazingly, I ended up with 120 this morning, combined with 80 in coursework, getting an A* overall. If your result isn't as expected, I urge you to send for a remark ASAP, the inconsistencies are quite ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe i just got a C in that exam (76UMS) sending it off for a remark because that's also affected my firm offer... had a solid A as AS and A* in the coursework as well :\

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to do. Can I have some advice. I received my AS results and discovered I got a C for English literature. I got a E in my exam and a A in my coursework. The whole entire English class including me failed, the highest being a C. Hopefully the exam remarks will prove something wrong. If the whole class fails there must be something wrong. Also I was three marks away from a A in philosophy so should I send for a remark.

ReputationRep:
    I can't belive it either. I got 65.. And got a D. I was expcting an A/A* in the paper. I feel as though i have really let my teachers down as they put sooo much effort in making sure my mock exams were up to that standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I felt so confident with this exam & I needed up with 61 UMS marks & so I didn't get into my firm :/ was so annoyed like literally noone in my class got higher than a D

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any success stories from remarks going up a lot in AQA English? Mine would have to go up by 25 ums to make a difference to my grade, and I can't imagine them admitting they marked an A grade paper wrongly as a C.

I had a friend last year who got a C in the exam, she's going to Cambridge and is an A* student, a remark didn't improve her grade at all. I can't work out if it's worth £50 quid or not :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.