Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For the property offences questions can you remember what you got for part b.
    I think i wrote about theft/robbery, making off without payment and duress.

Luckily before the exam i had a quick look over the 6 questions that need to0 be answered for duress so i actually knew what i was talking about for once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshytoohotty)
    You don't even have to know the cases as such, you just need to know the legal principles outlined by the cases.
    This isn't true. The mark schemes consistently say that a perfect answer with no relevant authority (cases/statutes) is only just going to be able to scrape a C. You're allowed to forgot one or two case names but for the most part you need to put them in.

I found Unit 4 and 5 (Both criminal) quite average. A bit easier than many of the mocks that we have done but still a bit challenging. With both papers I decided to do the criticisms first as if you have revised those well you can just blast them out quickly at the start, get the marks and have a bit more time to do the rest of the paper.

I would hope that Unit 6 will be okay. It makes it a lot easier that they ask the same questions every year. We've been taught all five but I'll probably revise Morals, Judicial Creativity and Fault/Justice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tek290)
    For the property offences questions can you remember what you got for part b.
    I think i wrote about theft/robbery, making off without payment and duress.

Luckily before the exam i had a quick look over the 6 questions that need to0 be answered for duress so i actually knew what i was talking about for once.
    I had pretty much the same. Theft, robbery and duress. I didn't cover making off without payment as that is a fraudulent property offence (despite the fact that there is no requirement of deception) and the question seemed to be focused on the non-fraudulent property offences. I also commented on the non-fatal offences against the person that he may be liable for if he lacks the mens rea for theft (and therefore robbery) which seemed to be the case.

Unfortunately, I wasn't sure where the law stands in relation to the theft of property which is ordinarily free, as was the case in the scenario. I assumed that it could still be stolen lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outcast)
    Unfortunately, I wasn't sure where the law stands in relation to the theft of property which is ordinarily free, as was the case in the scenario. I assumed that it could still be stolen lol.
    Without having really read the question properly, I would suppose that dishonesty would be a key element in establishing the offence. If the D stole something that was ordinarily free, believing that he was required to pay for it, then under Ghosh you could probably find that he was dishonest.

With regards to all the other elements, he would still have appropriated property belonging to another intending to permanently deprive the other of it, whether it was free or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    Without having really read the question properly, I would suppose that dishonesty would be a key element in establishing the offence. If the D stole something that was ordinarily free, believing that he was required to pay for it, then under Ghosh you could probably find that he was dishonest.

With regards to all the other elements, he would still have appropriated property belonging to another intending to permanently deprive the other of it, whether it was free or not.
    yeah, that was my reasoning. I couldn't back it up with any cases though unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Module 4 OTAP question 2 I put...

A. ABH, GBH and Involuntary Intoxication
    B. Murder, Prov and DR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie_Fletcher)

B. Murder, Prov and DR
    A. Same
    B. Murder , DR, Unlawful Dangerous Act Manslaughter

ReputationRep:

B. Murder, Prov and DR
    Same for both but i can never seem to write enough for the NFO's, it just doesnt look enough.

ReputationRep:
    NFO's you can waste a bit of time discussing points of Law like intention and explaining silly things like the difference between s20 and s18 being she caused GBH in B instead of inflicted as in s18.

Hmmm I didn't put UAM because I was taught that if it asked for Murder it didn't want UAM or GNM.

ReputationRep:
    NFO's you can waste a bit of time discussing points of Law like intention and explaining silly things like the difference between s20 and s18 being she caused GBH in B instead of inflicted as in s18.

Hmmm I didn't put UAM because I was taught that if it asked for Murder it didn't want UAM or GNM.
    Waste time?! Waste time?! How the hell did you have scope to waste time in that exam?! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have good, original points about criticisms for Unit 5 paper? Thinking of doing Psychiatric Harm/Nervous Shock...but think examiners getting a bit fed up with same old boring points.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    In my experience you don't really need original criticisms to get a good marks. If you look at the mark schemes, generally they list some of the criticisms that they should be looking for.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing A2 Law AQA. got a B in Jan but knew i messed it up.
    Unit 5 doing Tort...I reckon it's quite good.
    Probably do Fault, Judicial Creativity and Balancing Conflicting Interests for Unit 6.
    anyone have any good ideas about criticisms for unit 5? I got a good mark on my class essay for psychiatric harm, but she also gave me a good mark in Jan and that was where I lost my marks in the exam.
    Anyone got some original ideas on that or economic loss criticisms?
    Thanks loads

ReputationRep:
    Oh, thanks TommehR...didn't see that there
    Guess you're right. but my jan criticisms were almost same as the little purple AQA law book specimen ans and only got about 17/25...If i'd got full marks on that, would have got an A...

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.