The Student Room Group

Remark even though I've got in to uni?

I'm so happy, missed my offer narrowly but have been accepted anyway. However two of my units really look suspicious, I was predicted an A* in economics having achieved 90% or more in each module so far, only to get a C in unit 4... Thankfully still enough for an A overall.
Similarly for maths I have got a C in C4 which I wasn't expecting at all. My question is, can I still get remarks? I'm a couple UMS off the next grade for each. Obviously it won't affect my offer as I'm already in luckily (unless they go down massively but I'm far from the below grade boundary!), but I feel I worked so hard I want to be sure.
Again, let me stress I know I should be grateful but it would put my mind to rest. Anyone know how this would work? Do I just submit like a regular remark? Do I let my uni know after, would they care if the grades go up?
(edited 10 years ago)
If they've accepted you then I doubt they'd think anything of it if you went up (or down, although I'm not sure how that would work out) unless you're then eligible for a bursary or something from the university.

Why remark anyway? Unless a particular job you're after requires specific A-levels then all you're doing is paying money in the hope of gaining marks you don't actually need.
Does your college think it's worth it? Your uni won't care but hey, if you think you got higher than go for it, it'll look better on CVs?
Reply 3
Original post by EpsilonSigma
If they've accepted you then I doubt they'd think anything of it if you went up (or down, although I'm not sure how that would work out) unless you're then eligible for a bursary or something from the university.

Why remark anyway? Unless a particular job you're after requires specific A-levels then all you're doing is paying money in the hope of gaining marks you don't actually need.

it's just that I worked so hard and was predicted A*AA, thought I would get it based on how exams went and I've now got ABB, just a bit of a bummer really. Obviously as you say I've got in to uni so that's what matters most.

Original post by SpringNicht
Does your college think it's worth it? Your uni won't care but hey, if you think you got higher than go for it, it'll look better on CVs?

my college hasn't said anything but my head of year was shocked at my econ grade seeing as it's so much below my previous unit grades. I dunno really I may as well, it's expensive but I think I need to or I'll think about it forever haha
Reply 4
Also, will unis see if my remark goes up or down or is it up to me to inform them? I mean, say somehow my grade went up or even down so I no longer met the offer, would my uni see this or would they have no way of seeing unless I inform them?
Reply 5
Original post by hellomoto170
I'm so happy, missed my offer narrowly but have been accepted anyway. However two of my units really look suspicious, I was predicted an A* in economics having achieved 90% or more in each module so far, only to get a C in unit 4... Thankfully still enough for an A overall.
Similarly for maths I have got a C in C4 which I wasn't expecting at all. My question is, can I still get remarks? I'm a couple UMS off the next grade for each. Obviously it won't affect my offer as I'm already in luckily (unless they go down massively but I'm far from the below grade boundary!), but I feel I worked so hard I want to be sure.
Again, let me stress I know I should be grateful but it would put my mind to rest. Anyone know how this would work? Do I just submit like a regular remark? Do I let my uni know after, would they care if the grades go up?

Trust me my child, when you graduate from uni no employer is going to give a crap about what your A level results were neither where you went to uni...the most important things are gonna be what degree class you got (2.1 and above fore most places) , work experience and whether or not you can do the job which will be determined by either your interview or your 12 week probation on the job. How do I know so much ? Been there done that !

Hi there,

I am in exactly the same position. I too was predicted an A* in Economics and to date have been achieving top grades and UMS marks. This last module I got a C but an overall A but like you I can't understand what has gone on. I worked really hard and feel CHEATED out of my A* grade. I have spoken to my college and they too are utterly shocked and have suggested I get a remark. Why should I lose out on my A* because of something that has gone on at edexcel/examiners? I just could not believe that you are in the same position as me. Something is just not right and a stand should be made if you believe in yourself which is what I am doing. It would be interesting to know if others are in a similar position and what they intend to do. Is there a way to complain to edexcel?

Any help or advice would be grateful as I know I should have got my predicted grade.
Reply 7
Original post by Kutie Karen
Hi there,

I am in exactly the same position. I too was predicted an A* in Economics and to date have been achieving top grades and UMS marks. This last module I got a C but an overall A but like you I can't understand what has gone on. I worked really hard and feel CHEATED out of my A* grade. I have spoken to my college and they too are utterly shocked and have suggested I get a remark. Why should I lose out on my A* because of something that has gone on at edexcel/examiners? I just could not believe that you are in the same position as me. Something is just not right and a stand should be made if you believe in yourself which is what I am doing. It would be interesting to know if others are in a similar position and what they intend to do. Is there a way to complain to edexcel?

Any help or advice would be grateful as I know I should have got my predicted grade.

hello, that's very interesting! So have you also met your offer? I figure we have nothing to lose apart from the money, but I don't know if we're eligible for the priority remark or if that's only for people who have been rejected and thus require more urgent assistance to get into their unis... I don't really know how it works I'll have to pop in to school tomorrow and talk to someone!
hello, that's very interesting! So have you also met your offer? I figure we have nothing to lose apart from the money, but I don't know if we're eligible for the priority remark or if that's only for people who have been rejected and thus require more urgent assistance to get into their unis... I don't really know how it works I'll have to pop in to school tomorrow and talk to someone!

I am sure more people are in the same position as us and I know something is just not right. I am determined to do something about it as I am so angry that all my hard work was not rewarded with the A* that I deserve. It would be good if others who are in the same boat could let us know what happened to do them and what they intend to do about it. Let me know how you get on. Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest