The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do next year.

I recently got my As results and I did alright getting A's in geography and history, a B in ICT and a C in biology (I was 2 UMS off of a B so I'm getting a remark).

I'm really not sure whether to drop Biology or ICT next year. I enjoy biology a lot and if I get a B it should be a good foundation for next year. However, I want to go to an AAA university and I'm not sure if I will be accepted with a B in biology and boosting it to an A will be hard. My grade may also decrease by a bit as biology apparently gets a lot harder next year. ICT would be a lot easier but I don't enjoy it much and it's not as well regarded as biology.

I'm really not sure what to do next year and any help would really be appreciated.
What do you want to apply for?
Reply 2
Original post by mctruffle
I recently got my As results and I did alright getting A's in geography and history, a B in ICT and a C in biology (I was 2 UMS off of a B so I'm getting a remark).

I'm really not sure whether to drop Biology or ICT next year. I enjoy biology a lot and if I get a B it should be a good foundation for next year. However, I want to go to an AAA university and I'm not sure if I will be accepted with a B in biology and boosting it to an A will be hard. My grade may also decrease by a bit as biology apparently gets a lot harder next year. ICT would be a lot easier but I don't enjoy it much and it's not as well regarded as biology.

I'm really not sure what to do next year and any help would really be appreciated.

Firstly, well done on your grades :smile:

Secondly, what degree are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 3
I'd just do biology and work your ass off for it all year long. You enjoy it far more by the sounds of it, so go for it. You have two As and a high C right now, I see no reason why you wouldn't get an offer. If you don't who the **** cares? It wouldn't mean you can't still work hard to AAA and then get in somewhere through clearing/extra or whatever or even take a gap year and go travelling.
Reply 4
How do you feel about Biology? If you think you tried your absolute hardest and gave 100% then it's clearly not looking good to go on a boost to an A if you've already given it everything you have...so then take ICT. Yes what you say is right, but it's better to be predicted 3 As with ICT, than AAB or AAC with Biology when trying for an AAA course (providing you don't need Biology for it, obviously).

If you feel there could have been extra hours put in and you think there's potential to up grades, I'd continue Biology and retake one of the exams you got lowest in and/or didn't work for as much. Hopefully the remark will up it to a B, then you'll have to convince teachers to predict you an A. Without a resit, there is almost no way you'd get an A in Biology. Unless you settle for AAB courses at most, re-sits are a must for you to achieve AAA.

You might have to only risk applying for one or two AAA courses, with the others being AAB or ABB. I know it's not what you want, but things like this happen and it's better to be safe than sorry. Plenty of excellent top Unis offer AAB courses.
Reply 5
i just got my a level results.and it was unexpected.i got worse.i still cant believe that was mine.i got C for math and acc. e for my business.I think for business my answers are not relevant.that's why i got E. for economics (elective) i got B.what should i do? i'm taking accounting + cpa australia..i feel hopeless...
Reply 6
I want to apply for history at Warwick preferably. I have other options that have less demanding entry requirements though.

How do you feel about Biology? If you think you tried your absolute hardest and gave 100% then it's clearly not looking good to go on a boost to an A if you've already given it everything you have...so then take ICT.

I feel that I could have worked harder although not much more. I find the exam technique hard (I'm on OCR if that explains anything, they are very specific and particular on what wording they want). I don't particularly find the wealth of information needed particularly hard but answering the questions can be hard. I'm thinking of possibly retaking the first module in AS as I found the content easy for that but was let down by poor exam technique, although that would mean 3 biology exams in June.
Reply 7
If my biology remark boosted my AS result to a low B would you advise continuing with biology then?
Reply 8
How do you feel about Biology? If you think you tried your absolute hardest and gave 100% then it's clearly not looking good to go on a boost to an A if you've already given it everything you have...so then take ICT. Yes what you say is right, but it's better to be predicted 3 As with ICT, than AAB or AAC with Biology when trying for an AAA course (providing you don't need Biology for it, obviously).

If you feel there could have been extra hours put in and you think there's potential to up grades, I'd continue Biology and retake one of the exams you got lowest in and/or didn't work for as much. Hopefully the remark will up it to a B, then you'll have to convince teachers to predict you an A. Without a resit, there is almost no way you'd get an A in Biology. Unless you settle for AAB courses at most, re-sits are a must for you to achieve AAA.

You might have to only risk applying for one or two AAA courses, with the others being AAB or ABB. I know it's not what you want, but things like this happen and it's better to be safe than sorry. Plenty of excellent top Unis offer AAB courses

Thanks, this has been really appreciated. I think I may seriously think about ICT. How negatively will taking ICT affect my chances of getting into an AAA university for history? I've got a decent spread of universities with different entry requirements so I'm not just applying to AAA/AAB unis.
Reply 9
To be honest this is really getting me down. I'm doubting whether I am actually capable of a B or even a C at biology at A2 but it's a better alternative to ICT. I'm considering retaking the year to take politics which I should have done anyway. I really don't want one poor choice at the start of A levels to stop me getting into my target university and cause me to go to lower my sights. I'm not quite sure what my options are at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest