Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really really wanted to study PPE at the University of Manchester and received an offer of AAB. Today I got my results and received ABBB but got rejected from the course. More specifically it was a course change to Philosophy but I definitely don't want to do that.

Should I look at ABBB being similar to AAB? I know it's not the same but that doesn't mean I'm not really disappointed that the University doesn't see it that way. Should I phone Manchester or am I just going to get a pre-scripted response?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think you're in a position to criticise them, they set a benchmark for you to reach, and you didn't achieve it.

At the end of the day, you could've just focussed on three of your subjects and let one of them go, since the offer was only based on the three strongest subjects.

However, I do think you should still call them, as there is a chance that they'll give some credit for your fourth subject, depending on what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saucy Carrot)
    I really really wanted to study PPE at the University of Manchester and received an offer of AAB. Today I got my results and received ABBB but got rejected from the course. More specifically it was a course change to Philosophy but I definitely don't want to do that.

Should I look at ABBB being similar to AAB? I know it's not the same but that doesn't mean I'm not really disappointed that the University doesn't see it that way. Should I phone Manchester or am I just going to get a pre-scripted response?
    It's unfortunate, but you didn't meet your offer, so they're quite within their rights to reject you.

PPE didn't enter Clearing this year for Home students, so it would seem that they filled all their spaces and so had to reject some people who have missed their offer. Ringing them up to complain won't get you anywhere - they've already made their decision unfortunately.

However,as you have been given an offer of a course change, you could ring them up and ask to swap to Philosophy and Politics or Politics & IR instead, both of which are in Clearing for Home applicants.

There are also other universities out there that will take you for PPE - have a look at UCAS Clearing Search. You're lucky in that you fall into the uncapped ABB+ band (NB unis are still constrained by things like lecture size, number of staff available, accommodation etc., just not government funding), so you will have a lot more options than someone with BBB or below.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    It's unfortunate, but you didn't meet your offer, so they're quite within their rights to reject you.

PPE didn't enter Clearing this year for Home students, so it would seem that they filled all their spaces and so had to reject some people who have missed their offer. Ringing them up to complain won't get you anywhere - they've already made their decision unfortunately.

However,as you have been given an offer of a course change, you could ring them up and ask to swap to Philosophy and Politics or Politics & IR instead, both of which are in Clearing for Home applicants.

There are also other universities out there that will take you for PPE - have a look at UCAS Clearing Search. You're lucky in that you fall into the uncapped ABB+ band (NB unis are still constrained by things like lecture size, number of staff available, accommodation etc., just not government funding), so you will have a lot more options than someone with BBB or below.

Yes, you're right. I did have some significant extenuating circumstances but I don't think they'll be bothered about that. With it only being open to international students do you think they literally can't fit any more on? I feel it will be hopeless phoning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saucy Carrot)
    Yes, you're right. I did have some significant extenuating circumstances but I don't think they'll be bothered about that. With it only being open to international students do you think they literally can't fit any more on? I feel it will be hopeless phoning.
    If you told them about the extenuating circumstances at the time, then they will already have considered it, and if you would only be telling them now then they'll think that you're just clutching at straws / making excuses. The die is cast on this one, I'm afraid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.