Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear Mark,

I am considering applying for a tuition fee loan to finance tuition fees for MSc part-time at University of Westminster. However, I have already finished my "inžinier" level - postgraduate diploma in Slovakia.

The SFE website say: Generally, you’ll only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.

In this case, I would like to do ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, as my postgraduate diploma from Slovakia will not be most likely equal to MSc, which I would like to have.

The website of Westminster uni says;
    If you already hold a qualification (from the UK or abroad) that’s equivalent to the qualification you now intend to study, this is known as an ELQ.

For example, if you already hold a BA Honours or MA degree and you would like to study for a new BA Honours degree, you would be classed as an ELQ student.

This applies even if you studied at an overseas institution, unless you can either show your qualification isn’t equivalent to your new course or you can prove that you studied at a private institution and paid your fees yourself. To prove the level of your qualification, you’ll need to contact UK NARIC.

I've found on following table: grade comparison of overseas qualifications carried out by UK NARIC, where my achieved degree is comparable to UK British Bachelor (Honours) degree standard with First-class honours. Also the program I was studying required 120 ECTS to complete, the MSc at Westminster requires 180 credits.

My question is, am I eligible for a tuition fee loan from SFE? Is explanation provided above, enough to prove that my previous postgraduate diploma is not equal to UK MSc, or do I still need to contact UK NARIC, in order to prove my level of qualification?

The second question is a about amount I should apply for. The course is taught in 6 modules, each for 20 credits that are taught during the year. You can take modules during 1, 2 or 3 years. The tuition fee for a single module is £870.

I am not sure how many modules will I take this and then next year. Should I apply for a „full“ amount (6x870=£5220) and then use just a part of it, as maybe I will attend only 2 or 3 modules, or apply for smaller amount - lets say only for £2610 - fee for 3 modules and if needed, apply for additional found during the year?

Many thanks for answer.

Peter

ReputationRep:
    Dear Mark,

Could you please answer at least my first question?

Many thanks in advance.

Peter

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.