The Student Room Group

AQA chemistry higher- spec B

How do you think i went? i think that it was the hardest chemistry test i have done to date. I got above 90% for my mok and end of year but i think i will be lucky to get above 75% for this test.
Have you noticed all the 'suggest' questions, they're so hard and all the describing the experiment questons- i hate them. I can't believe that they made chemistry so hard, please reassure me, because i really don't want to be the only person to have found it difficult.
On the last calculation question - finding the concentration one i got a really small number- 0.0000003 mol/cm^3, it looks really wrong as there are too many decimal points, what did you get?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
by the way this thread is for tripple science
Reply 2
hm. yes, i found the wordy questions hard as well. easpecially the ones that go explain how an experiment is done and its 5 marks!

i got 0.0003 (or something like that) as well. i think you got it right except they wanted it in mol dm-3.

oh well.it's over. YAY! :smile:
Reply 3
i found it easy[-ish], but looking back now, i have probably made loads of mistakes.

I got 0.0003...something as well, they should set out the answers to give integers so at least we know we got the answer right.

The 5 mark questions were ok, but really long. did you get ethanoic acid for the last question [that graph thing] and the 'thing' that is lost to make a positive ion is an electron, right?
Reply 4
what did you write for the one about suggesting the advantage for using the alginate beads, and the one about using slag as cement.
think they are experimenting the new syallubus on us for some reason...some emphasis is put on the application of answer

For some questions you needed to be a good bull****ter!!
I got 0.0003 as well!!! I am proud :smile:

It wasnt tooo bad i suppose,
Reply 6
for slag as cement i said it was good because it saves energy, as teh blast furnace happens anyway. for the rotary kiln, you need to build it, use it, and send in heat energy into it. the blast furnace is there producing slag, so may as well use it.

as davidjones said, you do need to be a good bull****er.

the alginate beads, can't remember that one :~
Reply 7
what do you think that the grade boundaries will be like? i think that the grade boundaries will be low as it was quite hard, maybe around 76% for an A*
Reply 8
2005 = 76% for an A*, but was this easier or harder than 2005?
Reply 9
what about the plastic tar one- how is it hard to dispose of and suggest an advantage of using it.
Reply 10
this was definitely harder than 2005, i thought the normal boundaries are about 80-85%.
^Erm that would be below the normal...

Grade boundaries were 97-2003, 106-2004 and 103-2005

I think if you compare this paper to the others it was certainly a 'challanging' paper my guess will be 93-95
Reply 12
doggydogfoot
what about the plastic tar one- how is it hard to dispose of and suggest an advantage of using it.

advantage: it last longer (it states it in the text) as it is more water resistant i think? Also, its recycling

it is hard to dispose of because plastic is non-biodegradble. it does not decompose by water/air therefore it stays there forever in landfill sites

This is just what i put; i may be wrong
For the Cement one, i put that it contains sand impurities from the Blast Furnace, useful substance in cement.
Reply 14
so many questions where i made a random guess- they're meant to be testing you on your knowledge not your imagination, that's what english is for, lol.
it is hard to dispose of because plastic is non-biodegradble. it does not decompose by water/air therefore it stays there forever in landfill sites

That's what I put aswell; but i also said that burning plastic produces Hydrogen Chloride and Hydrogen Cyanide which are toxic fumes...
Reply 16
i put that thing about hydrogen cyonide.yey
Reply 17
what does immobalisation mean?- i said something about the enzyme being trapped in the alginate bead
Reply 18
yh, sorry i forgot.i put hydrogen cyanide, and i knew there was hydrogen....but didn't know what it was. Hydrogen cyanide as a toxic fume would do on its own wouldn't it?

is it just me, or were there random questions, and random questions with a random amount of lines to write your answer on. for example, the question "What is meant by the term reduced?" gave you 3 lines to write your answer, 1 mark, and all i wrote was "loss of oxygen"
Yeah, lol that's true!

Latest