Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,
    I’m a PhD student in Austria and planning to go to Oxford University as a visiting student from May until July 2014. My supervisor in Oxford said that she’s afraid that it could be hard to find a room in Oxford for this time period. Thus, I wanted to ask if somebody has advice on how to find a room in Oxford? Where/how should I search and how easy/difficult do you think it will be?
    Thanks for any kind of advice!
    Melanie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mella_3)
    Hi everybody,
    I’m a PhD student in Austria and planning to go to Oxford University as a visiting student from May until July 2014. My supervisor in Oxford said that she’s afraid that it could be hard to find a room in Oxford for this time period. Thus, I wanted to ask if somebody has advice on how to find a room in Oxford? Where/how should I search and how easy/difficult do you think it will be?
    Thanks for any kind of advice!
    Melanie
    Get a big spread sheet and note down the email address of each college's accommodation and conference office. Usually it is the conference office that deals with the allocation of rooms over the summer. Now email all of them one by one and wait for answers. Don't email them all simultaneously. Just try each college on its own until someone says they can offer you a room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Get a big spread sheet and note down the email address of each college's accommodation and conference office. Usually it is the conference office that deals with the allocation of rooms over the summer. Now email all of them one by one and wait for answers. Don't email them all simultaneously. Just try each college on its own until someone says they can offer you a room.
    Ok, thanks for your advice! I guess than I would need a confirmation of my status as a 'visiting student' by the University first? And what do you think about private rooms in Oxford - is there a chance to get a room in a shared flat or is this difficult in Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mella_3)
    Ok, thanks for your advice! I guess than I would need a confirmation of my status as a 'visiting student' by the University first? And what do you think about private rooms in Oxford - is there a chance to get a room in a shared flat or is this difficult in Oxford?
    Yes, that's what you need to sort out ASAP. Also make sure that you're not being overly keen and trying to arrange accommodation when the University actually means to plan that for you.

On private accommodation, I'm not an expert on Oxford, but as far as I understand its like Cambridge where private accommodation is all exorbitantly expensive, and much worse quality for what you pay. Also colleges own all the accommodation in the city centre, so private accommodation often means having to live further away from things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.