The Student Room Group

Terrible AS Results What do I do

Just got my AS results was hoping to apply to medicine but do these results mean that I can't?

Maths C
Physics C
Chemistry B
Biology C

So upset now as this means my predicted grades will not be 3 A's.

What do I do?
Reply 1
Original post by omawr
Just got my AS results was hoping to apply to medicine but do these results mean that I can't?

Maths C
Physics C
Chemistry B
Biology C

So upset now as this means my predicted grades will not be 3 A's.

What do I do?

They aren't terrible at all by any means and can easily be resolved.

If you did well during the course of AS getting A grade predictions will be a lot easier. Drop the subject you did not like the most, do retakes and work hard!
I know someone who i talked to on results day who talked to some of us about his AS getting CCDE. He dropped the E, got B grade predictions but got ABB at the end.

Its not all gloomy. See it as a challenge to motivate you for next year!
Reply 2
You can work your ass off, do retakes next year, and hope to god that you get A's.

OR

You can resit the year, you will almost definitely get the A's you want.

Option one means you won't get offers to higher up unis because of your predicted grades, but you don't do an extra year.

Option 2 means oxbridge and RG unis might not want you because you've resat, but you get the grades you want, and still get a place in a decent uni.
They are not terrible grades. I understand that you want to apply for medicine and this requires higher grades, you could still apply after begging your teachers to give you predicted grades of AAA and declare that you will resit the exams. If you do not get any offers then you could always see how well you do and reapply after taking a gap year! My friend did this as he always wanted to study Veterinary Medicine but got too low grades at AS so he resat & took a gap year and is now at Liverpool :smile:. It's not the end of the world, you can do this!
Reply 4
Thank you so much to everyone who has replied, but I think my school has a policy where they will only predict you above in one subject, also even if they are over I still have to state my AS grades on my UCAS form so won't I still be rejected by all RG uni's anyway?
Reply 5
Original post by omawr
Thank you so much to everyone who has replied, but I think my school has a policy where they will only predict you above in one subject, also even if they are over I still have to state my AS grades on my UCAS form so won't I still be rejected by all RG uni's anyway?

Many people get interviews when they have predicted grades below standard entry requirements.
A lot of universities rather not go through the clearing fiasco, therefore may be more inclined to take risks upon students.

Get a good PStatement, negotiate around your predicted grades and thats all you can do. With interviews, if you show you have academic promise within their field, its very unlikely they will reject you.
Reply 6
Original post by Jkizer
Many people get interviews when they have predicted grades below standard entry requirements.
A lot of universities rather not go through the clearing fiasco, therefore may be more inclined to take risks upon students.

Get a good PStatement, negotiate around your predicted grades and thats all you can do. With interviews, if you show you have academic promise within their field, its very unlikely they will reject you.

You have calmed me down a lot, thank you so much.

Quick Reply

Latest