Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying to adult nursing from a BTEC Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am going to be applying to do adult nursing this year for 2014, and I am a bit nervous about going up against people who have done A-levels, just wondering if anyone else is in my position.
    The uni's I want to going to are-
    Leeds
    Nottingham
    Birmingham
    Chester
    Maybe Lincoln
    maybe Northampton

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Hi, I am going to be applying to do adult nursing this year for 2014, and I am a bit nervous about going up against people who have done A-levels, just wondering if anyone else is in my position.
    The uni's I want to going to are-
    Leeds
    Nottingham
    Birmingham
    Chester
    Maybe Lincoln
    maybe Northampton
    I applied for Chester and it was a wonderful city when I looked around :^_^: It was slightly too far in the end though. Easy interview process as well.

I wouldn't worry about having done a BTEC, I did an OCR diploma which is very simular and no one had a problem with it at all, in fact I imagine a good percentage of applicants have done it as well. Just get a good predicated grade and personal statement and you should get some interviews Also everyone in my class who wanted a place got one.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou that's helpful and reassuring are you doing adult nursing? And if so where at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got into nursing this year with an access diploma so don't fret about your BtEC as long as you have the necessary grades you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou you've put me at ease haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm in the same situation the only thing i think is different about me is that i'm only doing health and social care diploma which means i only get two grades. I have an A level also and i'm not really worried about getting the right amount of points but ive just been looking on edge hill's website for next year and it says "A combination of A level and BTEC awards will be acceptable. As long as you have a minimum of two A-levels (or equivalent)" and this freaks me out as i only have 1 A level and a double BTEC just wondering if anyone could shine some light on this or anything really?

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou that's helpful and reassuring are you doing adult nursing? And if so where at?
    I'm doing Mental Health Nursing at Manchester All bar one interview I had had all the different nursing branches together at the interviews so if you need some tips on UCAS and interview techniques feel free to hit me up :^_^:

(Original post by CourtyJade)
    Hi, i'm in the same situation the only thing i think is different about me is that i'm only doing health and social care diploma which means i only get two grades. I have an A level also and i'm not really worried about getting the right amount of points but ive just been looking on edge hill's website for next year and it says "A combination of A level and BTEC awards will be acceptable. As long as you have a minimum of two A-levels (or equivalent)" and this freaks me out as i only have 1 A level and a double BTEC just wondering if anyone could shine some light on this or anything really?
    BTEC diploma at Level 3= 2 A level Equivalents unless you're doing an Extended diploma and then it's 3 :yep: In other words you'll be fine and dandy.

Best of luck both of you with your course

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest what uni's did you apply for, which ones did you get conditional offers from, and out of them which did you go to interviews, and whAt did you have to do In the interviews.( sorry about the 20 questions)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest what uni's did you apply for, which ones did you get conditional offers from, and out of them which did you go to interviews, and whAt did you have to do In the interviews.( sorry about the 20 questions)
    I applied for Manchester, Salford, Chester, UCLAN and Edge Hill. Got an interview and offer from the first three, interview from UCLAN but didn't go as I accepted two others and Edge Hill took so long to get back I firmed before I got a response.

I think all Nursing courses will have you doing an interview, all had Maths and English tests, some of which were fairly difficult-ish but Chester is pimps and from what the others said, all of their interviews at different Unis had easy tests (just me then who got the hard ones ). A part from that it was just simple interviews, I had one one-to-one, a group discussion and a group interview. This site and others have a list of questions to expect so just get answers in your head for them, read the news and think about your H&SC course and how you can relate experiences to what you've said, give explanations to your answers and you'll be fine. It's the waiting which is probably the hardest bit

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou very much! You've helped me a lot, the thing what's worrying me is the fax that I've picked quite high ranked uni's , because they just look so good, so I'm worried I won't get in, the highest entry requirements for the uni's are DDD, and I'm predicted that, and i do volunteering at a hospital, and i have completed three placements, like at a care home, a primary school and a respite centre, but I'm just worried others will bring more to the table and will have done more, what sort of things did you do to help your applications ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou very much! You've helped me a lot, the thing what's worrying me is the fax that I've picked quite high ranked uni's , because they just look so good, so I'm worried I won't get in, the highest entry requirements for the uni's are DDD, and I'm predicted that, and i do volunteering at a hospital, and i have completed three placements, like at a care home, a primary school and a respite centre, but I'm just worried others will bring more to the table and will have done more, what sort of things did you do to help your applications ?
    Ah don't worry about it, you might as well aim high, just make sure 1 or 2 are for slightly lower grades and then just go for the ones you want most.

That's pretty darn impressive there :yep: I only had two placements, care home and a mental health charity but i've got a mother I help care for, I went on a Nursing Discover Day and I volunteered at the college's learning disability department for the school year. It's not half bad but it's not going to set the world on fire, the main thing is showing what you've learnt. You can list as much as you want but even if you have little experience if you show great insight into your course and what you learnt, you'll get interviews! For example saying how working at a hospital helped you learn the place of a nurse as a team member, how important time keeping is and why and how you demonstrated this (such as always completing tasks on time). In a way it's much like writing an essay, 'doing X is important as then Y will happen and this will help establish a strong relationship with a service user which helps them open up and take an active role in their care'.

Just spend time over the hols and get a strong first draft going, ask around to see what others think you could add and then show it to whoever at college deals with applications and they'll help you really tune it up The guides on this site are a wonderful resource and if I can find it i'll PM you my statement if it'll help. Just make sure you get started now, trying to get a statement done on top of essays is hell on earth

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's really helpful! And I've done my personal statement, so basically I'm worrying about things that aren't In My control ahah! Thank you very much for your advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's really helpful! And I've done my personal statement, so basically I'm worrying about things that aren't In My control ahah! Thank you very much for your advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Goodness knows your more organised than I was then We were supposed to get a talk on it but our college used that day for training so we had to get it done ASAP. Not that the professor's sympathised in any way of course :lol:

All the best! You'll do brilliantly x Your college should have a careers department who do practice interviews with you so give them a go if you get an interview and you're worried.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much I just tend to worry about the little things..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CourtyJade)
    Thank you so much I just tend to worry about the little things..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't worry about it, it's beter to care about every detail than not at all I'm not actually sure college's would allow you not to do 3 A Level equivs as it doesn't count as full time education then.

Hope you get into where you want, any questions just drop me a line :^_^:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.