Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice: Foundation course at firm or normal course at insurance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've spoken with the head of the physics department at the University of Manchester and need to make a choice; I can be placed on a foundation course at Manchester, adding an extra year to my studies (and fees!), or I can be 'released' and go to my insurance, Nottingham, to take the normal course.

Essentially, which idea seems best? I could do with any and all opinions to help me choose, I've arranged to call back at 16:30 today, so time for some big decisions!

Many thanks in advance to anyone who responds
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotcoedotuk)
    I've spoken with the head of the physics department at the University of Manchester and need to make a choice; I can be placed on a foundation course at Manchester, adding an extra year to my studies (and fees!), or I can be 'released' and go to my insurance, Nottingham, to take the normal course.

Essentially, which idea seems best? I could do with any and all opinions to help me choose, I've arranged to call back at 16:30 today, so time for some big decisions!

Many thanks in advance to anyone who responds

Where would you be happiest? You need to spend 3 or 4 years at the uni so don't go somewhere you won't like for the sake of a year of fees?

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem with zoology do i do a foundation biology then 3 years zoology at my first choice where i could be bored for a year or go straight to a 3 year zoology at my insurance.
    really confused and is a foundation looked down on?
    Will i feel inferior to the 3 year zoology students?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    A foundation year won't be looked down on. I know a couple of people on my course who did them. It's also unlikely you will be bored- even though the content may be similar to A levels, it's delivered in a university style- i.e. through lectures, seminars, tutorials, labs etc. The labs especially will be way more interesting than anything you've done at school, as the university will just have way more in the way of facilities. As you get more of an insight into how uni lecturers like assignments written, you're likely to do better in your first year, or at least the people I knew who took this route often did.

The main disadvantage of a foundation year is funding. It is a big deal. You probably won't get funding if you need to repeat a year, or if you want to do an optional placement year. This may put more pressure on your time at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the good advice sounds logical to me.
    anyone else with any other thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philipwh)
    Thanks for the good advice sounds logical to me.
    anyone else with any other thoughts on this?
    Hope it's not too late but in the end I opted for Nottingham since I felt I didn't want to repeat the past two years of study, luckily I'd made my insurance offer exactly and, since I loved Nottingham too, the choice wasn't actually so difficult in the end!

Thanks for adding to this guys

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.