Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just got my AS results and I'm happy with everything other than my English Lit grade! I was predicted an A and was hoping to get that as I felt like the exam went well, but I ended up getting a C :cry2: No one in my class has got higher than a C other than one person, and we're all A/B predicted students. How have other people done? I'm really hoping there'll be a re-mark if everyone's gotten lower than expected!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayDreamer1403)
    Just got my AS results and I'm happy with everything other than my English Lit grade! I was predicted an A and was hoping to get that as I felt like the exam went well, but I ended up getting a C :cry2: No one in my class has got higher than a C other than one person, and we're all A/B predicted students. How have other people done? I'm really hoping there'll be a re-mark if everyone's gotten lower than expected!
    I would recommend speaking to your school ASAP and raising the fact that its across the class with them. Its also worth considering a resit.

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same problem. I was predicted an A*. Over 90% of the class had bs or above in the coursework.. I wont get into uni now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey sorry to hear about youre situation, i didnt do too badly, my prediction was for a B-A nd i got an A which im really happy about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My lit exam board is AQA and I was predicted D/C and got an A

ReputationRep:
    I don't think this is going to be a national thing I'm afraid, or not something that AQA and sixth forms/colleges will have a large dispute over anyway. Are you sure it wasn't just your teacher/s?

All my class did as they were predicted.

ReputationRep:
    There is definitely something dodgy about this. I done the exam in January and got a D. I was confident I had achieved a B which I'm predicted and got it in the coursework. Got an E in the June exam. Safe to say I'm dropping literature this year!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had unexpected results at both AS and Aleval. I was predicted an E at As. I hated lit and only did it because I did well at GCSE. I barely worked all year and got a high A in the exam. This year i worked harder than ever, acheiving full marks in my coursework and band 4s in all my mocks. Both of my lit teachers were extremely harsh markers and often dropped a grade just to keep you on your toes. I got a D in the june exam and now have to retake as I have no hope in getting to uni with a B over all. It just shows how nutoriously unreliable AQA markers are

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep i was predicted a B and i got a D. I was ill on the day but that doesn't explain everyone else getting the same/worse grades

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like crappy teachers to me probably missed some of the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted an A all year and got an A.

However, I do know a few people who went from A to D, or D to A because of the exam..
    But I would put that down to lack of preparation - maybe get your paper back to see?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    I managed an A, however in my sixth form, there seems to be a massive issue with English Combined, no one got above a C which is really odd considering many were A grade students prior to this :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    definitely get a re-mark. I got an A overall and quite frankly I hated lit so much (dropped it now yay ) and I am awful at it, the exam was pretty good though, good length and the questions were not so bad. I guess it depends what book and poet you did, bcos tbh they vary in difficulty! I did Jane Eyre and Emily Dickinson

Also... how did you do in coursework? 40% is quite a high component of the total AS grade, or are you talking about just the actual exam grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayDreamer1403)
    That happened to me too in my first exam but I've just finished A2 with a high A. English can take some time to adjust to at A-level, especially if you don't like what you're studying. I resat my first exam twice and still only ended up with a B in it because I can't stand Larkin. I got 90% in my (much harder) A2 exam though because I really enjoyed studying Blake and Shakespeare.

I know it's very disheartening but you should be fine if you act quickly in sorting out retakes and planning your revision. Coursework can be a godsend too so make sure you don't neglect it!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.