Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got my AS results and for biology I got an A in unit 2, an A in coursework and a B in unit 1. However, it says I got a B overall on my results sheet.
    Is it possible to get an A overall with no retakes next year? Or should I retake unit 1?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justcuriousyaknow)
    I just got my AS results and for biology I got an A in unit 2, an A in coursework and a B in unit 1. However, it says I got a B overall on my results sheet.
    Is it possible to get an A overall with no retakes next year? Or should I retake unit 1?
    Thanks in advance
    How many marks are you from a A ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance
    Depends on your actual marks, I tried to do this and got a B overall but got pretty bad coursework grades, just add it all up and see what you need

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance
    Yes, if you work hard this is certainly possible, especially if you were close to the A/B grade boundary. However, if you think that you could significantly improve your result in one unit with a retake, that might take the pressure off you for your A2 grades a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, easy enough if the UMS is towards the higher end of a B. If it's a low B it might be worth looking at a retake, but the UMS is the most crucial factor

ReputationRep:
    Having stated that you achieved an A in your coursework, assuming Unit 1 and Unit 2 have equal weighting or Unit 2 carries more weighting, you are most likely closer to the A grade border than the B grade border. If such is the case, a slight improvement in Unit 1's results from a resit will definitely help you, so that for A2 you may not need as high a mark and every mark counts.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance
    As previous posters have said, it really depends on your UMS greade - you need to have a look and see how many marks you were off the threshold for an A, do some maths and you'll see many more marks you need to get next year.

It's be a while since I did my A-levels, but assuming both years are equally weighted (whch from memory they are) if you were 10 marks off an A this you'll need to get 10 marks over an A next year to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGeneral95)
    How many marks are you from a A ?
    Not sure how to quote multiple people but I am 3 ums away from an A in biology and 10 ums away from an A in chemistry.
    Should I retake anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vousden)
    As previous posters have said, it really depends on your UMS greade - you need to have a look and see how many marks you were off the threshold for an A, do some maths and you'll see many more marks you need to get next year.

It's be a while since I did my A-levels, but assuming both years are equally weighted (whch from memory they are) if you were 10 marks off an A this you'll need to get 10 marks over an A next year to get an A.

(Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Having stated that you achieved an A in your coursework, assuming Unit 1 and Unit 2 have equal weighting or Unit 2 carries more weighting, you are most likely closer to the A grade border than the B grade border. If such is the case, a slight improvement in Unit 1's results from a resit will definitely help you, so that for A2 you may not need as high a mark and every mark counts.

(Original post by xMr_BrightSide)
    Yes, easy enough if the UMS is towards the higher end of a B. If it's a low B it might be worth looking at a retake, but the UMS is the most crucial factor

(Original post by Illusionary)
    Yes, if you work hard this is certainly possible, especially if you were close to the A/B grade boundary. However, if you think that you could significantly improve your result in one unit with a retake, that might take the pressure off you for your A2 grades a bit.

(Original post by Ursin)
    Depends on your actual marks, I tried to do this and got a B overall but got pretty bad coursework grades, just add it all up and see what you need
    Ok figured out how to quote multiple people.
    I'm 3 ums away from an A in biology and 10 ums away from an A in chemistry.
    Thanks

Yep, it's certainly possible if you work hard.

ReputationRep:
    Ok figured out how to quote multiple people.
    I'm 3 ums away from an A in biology and 10 ums away from an A in chemistry.
    Thanks
    Speak to your teachers about potential retakes, but if there are any specific modules that you think you could improve your performance significantly in then retaking may well be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I got a B overall too.

Unit 1 - 65ums
    Unit 2 - 116 ums

Overall = 219.

How difficult will it be for me to boost this to an A? I'm only 4ums off an A in unit 2. But then my unit 1 is quite low...

retake unit 1?

ReputationRep:
    I have the same situation in Maths and have worked out I only need 12 more UMS which is very achievable however if it was a low B then it might be harder

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.