The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level economics unit 4

Hi everyone,

Just got my results for this unit and I am shocked it was so low when I was predicted an A* and have achieved to date top ums marks. Something with this exam or marking has drastically gone wrong:confused: and I wanted to know how others did with this unit and overall. Where people on target for their predicted grades? What is the best course of action? Any advice appreciated as I do feel cheated out of my A*:frown: Help I am so angry and upset.
Reply 1
You're not the only one, I did all 4 Econ units this June, and my overall A2 grade is a "U".:angry: I was actually expecting a "B" or "A" grade, Im going to get them remarked.. what was your unit 4 result?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I think pretty much everyone flopped that.
Reply 3
I did it as well, in
unit 1: 93%
Unit 2: 100%
Unit 3: 100%
Unit 4: mid B

I'm wandering if I should remark this?
If we're talking about AQA then....SAME.

I've got above 80 in all my units, yet got 69 UMS in Unit 4.

That may not sound that bad, but I needed 70+ to get an A overall....ONE UMS MARK from an A. I've sent for a priority remark because I need to for uni. :mad:

Something has gone seriously wrong with the way they marked this paper. Lots of people in my school complaining too.
Reply 5
Original post by shaminn
I did it as well, in

Go for it if you believe you have a strong case. The last unit has not been marked correctly. I wonder if they had trainee examiners who did not know what they were doing?????
Reply 6
Original post by msss777
You're not the only one, I did all 4 Econ units this June, and my overall A2 grade is a "U".:angry: I was actually expecting a "B" or "A" grade, Im going to get them remarked.. what was your unit 4 result?

I got a c for unit 4. This is way off target for my A* that I was predicted and I know I did far better than just a c. I have spoken to others in my class and some of them are also complaining that they have been marked too harshly. What is going on Edexcel????:confused:

Go for a remark if you need it for Uni
Reply 7
Original post by Kutie Karen
I got a c for unit 4. This is way off target for my A* that I was predicted and I know I did far better than just a c. I have spoken to others in my class and some of them are also complaining that they have been marked too harshly. What is going on Edexcel????:confused:

Go for a remark if you need it for Uni

I am going to get a remark done, this may put back my starting of uni by almost an entire semester :/
Reply 8
Original post by lgy05
I'm in the same boat, I was predicted an A* and scored A*s in mocks/class work, I ended up with a D in unit 4! I'm one ums of an A overall and have sent it off for a priority remark. I'm so shocked and angry about this, I came out thinking the exam went well! Just fingers crossed I had a drunk examiner or something haha because I really don't think I got a D. I might be wrong of course, but fingers crossed!

If you are one mark off,then I am confident you will be ok. The edexcel eco 4 unit has been marked down too harshly. I heard they did not have enough economics exam markers and perhaps that explains the strange and drastic drops in this exam.

Keep us posted and good luck:smile:
Original post by lgy05
I'm in the same boat, I was predicted an A* and scored A*s in mocks/class work, I ended up with a D in unit 4! I'm one ums of an A overall and have sent it off for a priority remark. I'm so shocked and angry about this, I came out thinking the exam went well! Just fingers crossed I had a drunk examiner or something haha because I really don't think I got a D. I might be wrong of course, but fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah there is something dogey about Unit 4 marking, if you look through last year's thread it's a similar story. I can't help thinking perhaps it's due to the essay nature of unit 4 so many valid points won't necessairly be on the set mark scheme. Wish you all the best with your remarks though :smile:
Reply 10
Similar story here, got unit 1) 80 Unit 2) 87 unit 3) 66/80 unit 4) 84/120. Did I just mess up unit 4 or is there something wrong caus I got all As In the other units. I'm 2 raw marks off an A and sent it for a priority remark. It's been 10 days and havnt got it back. Did you guys remarks change??? By how
Much?? I hope they aren't doing this to prevent grade inflation. If that's the case my remark is going to come back without change!
Reply 11
[QUOTE="the.cookie.monster;44111878"]Yeah there is something dogey about Unit 4 marking, if you look through last year's thread it's a similar story. I can't help thinking perhaps it's due to the essay nature of unit 4 so many valid points won't necessairly be on the set mark scheme. Wish you all the best with your remarks though :smile:[/QUOTE what are the odds of getting 2 raw marks?
Reply 12
[QUOTE="Karen;44110063" Kutie="Kutie"]
Original post by lgy05

If you are one mark off,then I am confident you will be ok. The edexcel eco 4 unit has been marked down too harshly. I heard they did not have enough economics exam markers and perhaps that explains the strange and drastic drops in this exam.

Keep us posted and good luck:smile:
where did you hear there aren't enough markers, I hope something like that is the case and my grade changes. Got your remark back?
Reply 13
Original post by msss777

Got your remark? What happened?
Reply 14
Original post by Kutie Karen
Hi everyone,

Just got my results for this unit and I am shocked it was so low when I was predicted an A* and have achieved to date top ums marks. Something with this exam or marking has drastically gone wrong:confused: and I wanted to know how others did with this unit and overall. Where people on target for their predicted grades? What is the best course of action? Any advice appreciated as I do feel cheated out of my A*:frown: Help I am so angry and upset.

Did you send it for a remark then? What happened?
Reply 15
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
If we're talking about AQA then....SAME.

I've got above 80 in all my units, yet got 69 UMS in Unit 4.

That may not sound that bad, but I needed 70+ to get an A overall....ONE UMS MARK from an A. I've sent for a priority remark because I need to for uni. :mad:

Something has gone seriously wrong with the way they marked this paper. Lots of people in my school complaining too.

Got your remark back? What happened?
Reply 16
Original post by shaminn
I did it as well, in

Did you send for a remark? What happened???
same here, averaged above 90% in units 1, 2 and 3, thinking I was on for an A*... I got a C in unit 4! I'm still shocked, luckily still got an A overall but I really wanted an A*. I even prefer macro and long answer questions so this is the last exam I thought I'd do bad in, I really am confused. Edexcel in my case btw.
Original post by Huntx
Got your remark back? What happened?

It got marked up by 5 marks and now I'm on an A overall. (But this is AQA, not Edexcel)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by hellomoto170
same here, averaged above 90% in units 1, 2 and 3, thinking I was on for an A*... I got a C in unit 4! I'm still shocked, luckily still got an A overall but I really wanted an A*. I even prefer macro and long answer questions so this is the last exam I thought I'd do bad in, I really am confused. Edexcel in my case btw.

Did you have a remark or are you going to have a remark? In a similar position to you and don't get how the unit 4 was so low in marks compared to my usual performance throughout.

Quick Reply

Latest