Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got into University of Leicester through clearing!! for Psychology and Sociology. And I have 2 questions:

1. Any advice on which accommodation to get? I want an en-suit and self catered, so any experience on which is best?

2. What is the city itself like?

Thank you!!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igcsecrazy)
    I got into University of Leicester through clearing!! for Psychology and Sociology. And I have 2 questions:

1. Any advice on which accommodation to get? I want an en-suit and self catered, so any experience on which is best?

Thank you!!! xxx
    1. It really depends what you're looking for! In terms of the social side, I found GMS (where I lived) to be the most social of the halls, followed by Beaumont and then John Foster, then Mary Gee, but obviously everyone has different experiences. En-Suite self catered accommodation in GMS is pretty hard to find but if you have a decent loan/financial support you might want to consider Bowder Court- they're en-suite self catered blocks that were recently refurbished and they're lovely inside and pretty sociable too.

2. I think Leicester gets quite a tough time from some people who come to look around without actually giving it a chance- if you look, it's a brilliant little city with loads to do and it's a really good night out. I think of it as small but perfectly formed the people are friendly, there's good shopping, tons of really good bars etc. if you know where to look, and it's really green (Victoria Park is unbeatable in summer). There's also loads of live music and stuff, and alternative things to do if you're not a big fan of your average student club nights!

If you need any more info just ask, I was desperate for information last year and could hardly find any so I know how it feels to be in the dark!

ReputationRep:

Thank you!!! xxx

Anyone looking for accomodation a classic ensuite room has become available in Filbert Village Leicester, through UNITE Leicester 96 pounds a week, 10-15 mins walk from campus. You can research on the UNITE Leicester webpage. Please PM me if you're interested as I need to get a tenant as I'm not going to Leicester anymore. Thanks! (Its aactually for my twin sister so you can PM her on KeepMovingForward or just PM me
    Thanks a million Also congrats for getting into leicester its an awesome place!

ReputationRep:
    Opal Court also have ensuite self catered, but they tend to be a bit more expensive. It's good, I lived there last year, but I found it to be unsociable at times.

ReputationRep:
    What is Digby Hall like? I have just received an accommodation offer from Leicester for the Orange (Black) block of Digby Hall and I didn't see it the first time I looked at the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wellsy77)
    Opal Court also have ensuite self catered, but they tend to be a bit more expensive. It's good, I lived there last year, but I found it to be unsociable at times.
    Hmm... I'm just looking at the accommodation now. Which halls would you say is the most sociable? I'm looking for an en-suite room with a shared kitchen (self-catered).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazinga94)
    What is Digby Hall like? I have just received an accommodation offer from Leicester for the Orange (Black) block of Digby Hall and I didn't see it the first time I looked at the uni.
    I'm pretty sure Digby was actually closed last year for refurbishment unless I just had the bad luck not to meet anyone who was living there all year! From what I heard about it before it was okay but could do with improvement and it's a little bit out of the way compared to the rest of Oadby (but it is closer to ASDA). However in a new and improved state it could be much nicer now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke070)
    Hmm... I'm just looking at the accommodation now. Which halls would you say is the most sociable? I'm looking for an en-suite room with a shared kitchen (self-catered).
    Oadby area is the most sociable. Opal and Nixon are city living so you're closer to the uni but away from the freshers hub. If you could get what you want in Oadby, I'd go for it personally as its known to be more sociable than city living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrybombbb)
    1. It really depends what you're looking for! In terms of the social side, I found GMS (where I lived) to be the most social of the halls, followed by Beaumont and then John Foster, then Mary Gee, but obviously everyone has different experiences. En-Suite self catered accommodation in GMS is pretty hard to find but if you have a decent loan/financial support you might want to consider Bowder Court- they're en-suite self catered blocks that were recently refurbished and they're lovely inside and pretty sociable too.

2. I think Leicester gets quite a tough time from some people who come to look around without actually giving it a chance- if you look, it's a brilliant little city with loads to do and it's a really good night out. I think of it as small but perfectly formed the people are friendly, there's good shopping, tons of really good bars etc. if you know where to look, and it's really green (Victoria Park is unbeatable in summer). There's also loads of live music and stuff, and alternative things to do if you're not a big fan of your average student club nights!

If you need any more info just ask, I was desperate for information last year and could hardly find any so I know how it feels to be in the dark!
    Thank you so much for the insight!!! I'm trying to find the cheapest ensuit room hahaha. Also on campus because I don't want to be travelling heaps everyday. And thats great, the city sounds very chill!! I cannot waaaiiittt ) what course are you doing? xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke070)
    Same here! looking for an en-suite self catered! Which room are you looking into? And do you know which ones are already full? xx

ReputationRep:
    Same here! looking for an en-suite self catered! Which room are you looking into? And do you know which ones are already full? xx
    I have no clue. I just received my place yesterday so it's all still being processed I think. Will let you know though when I can start choosing my accommodation!

Edit: Just found out that I need to wait 48 hours and then I can start applying for accommodation via the website.

ReputationRep:

Hey I just checked the online accommodation and its saying I'm in orange block of Digby too, what floor and flat are you in?

I'm in first floor flat 3!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaLouise093)
    Hey I just checked the online accommodation and its saying I'm in orange block of Digby too, what floor and flat are you in?

I'm in first floor flat 3!
    Hey!
    I'm in Flat 1, Ground Floor, Room E in the orange block, so nice to know someone else is in that as I couldn't find any info on it!

What course are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in digby orange block! Flat 3 room E!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathyw16)
    I'm in digby orange block! Flat 3 room E!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awesome!

What course are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study Ancient History and Archaeology. How about you?

It's all very exciting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study Ancient History and Archaeology. How about you?

It's all very exciting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im studying Ancient History and History so we will be in some of the same lectures!

And I know, I'm really looking forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    Im studying Ancient History and History so we will be in some of the same lectures!

And I know, I'm really looking forward to it!
    That's really strange! :O so similar course and same block!

I'll see you in lectures then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's really strange! :O so similar course and same block!

I'll see you in lectures then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You will indeed! have you seen the accommodation we are staying in? I never saw it when I went to see the uni so I don't know what it's like?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I got my conformation email yesterday (v excited about coming to Leicester!) which said to wait 24 hours before trying to apply for accommodation. Now I'm trying to register it's saying there's an error, has it just not come through yet? I'm getting a bit worried as I want to apply for self catered en-suite and I heard they're quick to run out...? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.