Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically I need some advice. I have got the grades and everything to get into the uni of my choice but I am unsure whether I want to go or not.

The course I would be studying is psychology and although I am interested in the course I am not sure it is right for me.The things that put me off are £9000 a year fees, the fact that lots of people have degrees and still cannot get a job. If I do not go to uni I will obviously need to find a job, and well I've been having difficulty finding a part time job, let alone a full time one.

any advice welcome

ReputationRep:
    it depends on what you WANT to do with your life, do you want the degree or to try and get a job. I went to University and have a yr left and I have a friend who went down the other path but got fired from his job last year and spends all of his time at the gym now, not sure what to do with himself. Uni can open many doors and give you many opportunities. Either way, it'll be tough to get a job so i'd go to uni, learn more and then try and get a job

ReputationRep:
    If you have resorted to asking random students on TSR that life changing question, and are going to take their answers seriously, I highly recommend that you stuff it and go and work in McDonalds, because that attitude will get you nowhere.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Your thread has been moved to the uni admissions forum, and a Clearing and Applications Adviser will be available to reply to your thread as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    But so many people have degrees and still cannot get a job and have wasted £27000 in debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em.de)
    But so many people have degrees and still cannot get a job and have wasted £27000 in debt.
    tht'll be me nxt June haha

ReputationRep:
    Fees shouldn't be a barrier. The loan is the most generous you'll ever have.

Uni also opens so many academic, professional and social doors which you otherwise may not have had previously, going into work. It'll also be a great opportunity to fend for yourself if you don't plan on living at home, as well as make some great friends.

Also, obviously, if you plan to work in psychology, you'll do far better with a degree. I lulled around in minimum wage work between September and December last year before I found a job, and to be honest it wasn't long. As long as you put the 'after uni' graft in during and after your studies, you'll come out flying

Even though I had £3k pa fees, I really didn't consider that I'd wasted the money before I got my job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em.de)
    So basically I need some advice. I have got the grades and everything to get into the uni of my choice but I am unsure whether I want to go or not.

The course I would be studying is psychology and although I am interested in the course I am not sure it is right for me.The things that put me off are £9000 a year fees, the fact that lots of people have degrees and still cannot get a job. If I do not go to uni I will obviously need to find a job, and well I've been having difficulty finding a part time job, let alone a full time one.

any advice welcome

You have to do what YOU want to do. Don't just go to Uni as you feel you have no other choice.

From your post, your heart doesn't seem set on the course so maybe you should take a gap year.

One of the worst things I ever did was not take a gap year just to think "what do I want to do", In the short term it seems like a waste of time + will annoy parents! But in the long term it would have been worth while for me. Also if you have savings- it'll give you a chance to explore the world.

I agree with everything you say in your post EXCEPT for one thing - the fees. You need to forget about the student fees. If you get a student loan, it isn't a 'real loan' i.e you won't get bailiffs coming to your house to demand money. You only pay it back if you've got a job (that pays a certain amount), and despite what others say - it isn't that much from your salary. So if the fees is the one thing that's worrying you - forget about it. It isn't a problem.

If you love psychology and can't see yourself doing something else then go ahead and start this Sept. If not - take a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    University isn't just about the degree, it's about the whole social aspect around it. That's the mean reason I'm going, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em.de)

any advice welcome
    Hi

I understand your worries over the debt you will be getting into after going to University but if it's something you want to do, do it! You only start paying back your loan when your earning £15,795 a year and you pay it back in stages so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Hope this helps,

Rebecca

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdaleeverett)
    Hi

I understand your worries over the debt you will be getting into after going to University but if it's something you want to do, do it! You only start paying back your loan when your earning £15,795 a year and you pay it back in stages so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Hope this helps,

Rebecca
    £21000 for new students.

ReputationRep:
    Would seriously consider taking a year out to decide what you want from your life!

Psychology is a good academic degree to have..... but you'll need to be sufficiently interested/motivated to do the work necessary!

Regarding fees: wouldn't let this put you off - essentially it's a graduate tax.... You only pay 9 percent when you're Earning OVER 21k!

Search for martin lewis and student fees on YouTube - am excellent talk on it.

Good luck!

Gus

ReputationRep:
    I changed my mind about studying in the UK back in 2011 and went to University of Groningen instead. I made the grades to go into a British University and missed my home town in London but that was the best decision I made.

After 3 year I would of paid off my student fees which will come up to 5,500 Euros, I have already paid off the 2 years as I worked part time so really I would of have to pay 1,835 Euros next year and I will end up with a BA International Relations, not only that it has given me the chance to learn languages like Dutch and German, I went to Germany for 3 months for work and learning German.
    Met great people and in the process of finishing internship in USA. I shall return to the UK after I finished and then decide my new venture.

Look at your options, there are many opportunities but I do think that getting a degree would be an advantage regardless of unemployment in Europe.
    Wishing you success what ever you decide.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.