The Student Room Group

OK, now I'm worried!

I have had my place at university confirmed for a month now (did a BTEC) but as the start date gets closer I am really afraid that it won't work out for me. I got Dist,Dist, Dist* in my course but worry how I will cope compared to A level students.
I have got Aspergers Syndrome and although I have some good friends at home I struggle to connect with groups of people especially if they are drinking - just don't get it. I try to be sociable and want to make new friends at uni but am scared they will think I am too weird.
Lots of different people go to university - not all of them want to get drunk all the time!

I went to uni via an Open University course, so different to A-level students. Never really found it a problem!
Hey, firstly well done for getting into uni! :biggrin: It's much easier said than done but please don't be scared - and also know it's extremely natural for people to feel worried about all sorts of things before going to uni. I find though that the main concern is making friends. Not everybody is a drinker and that's no problem. What I highly recommend is joining a few societies that are relevant to your interests as being surrounded by like-minded people will certainly help you. Lastly, don't think yourself differently to A Level students, everybody is on a level playing field and you have as much right to be there as everyone else :smile:

Congrats :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by engiebengie
I have had my place at university confirmed for a month now (did a BTEC) but as the start date gets closer I am really afraid that it won't work out for me. I got Dist,Dist, Dist* in my course but worry how I will cope compared to A level students.
I have got Aspergers Syndrome and although I have some good friends at home I struggle to connect with groups of people especially if they are drinking - just don't get it. I try to be sociable and want to make new friends at uni but am scared they will think I am too weird.

Whilst this isn't directly linked to your social anxiety, if you let your uni's student services know about your Asperger's when you arrive they will likely be able to make accommodations for any special needs you have. It also puts you on their radar so if you do have any problems you will be more likely to get help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending