Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

IIFYM Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

What do you guys think of the IIFYM (If it fits your macros) idea?

Essentially you can eat whatever you like as long as you are hitting your macros each day.

I'm going to start trying to build muscle when I return to University and I came across this. What I like about it is that I would know how many calories and my macros that I need to be hitting (without the guidance, my diet is really really bad and I will end up undereating.)

I've spoken to a fair few people that do this and they swear by it.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I like it, just make sure you're getting enough fibre and micronutrients as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross E)
    Hey guys,

What do you guys think of the IIFYM (If it fits your macros) idea?

Essentially you can eat whatever you like as long as you are hitting your macros each day.
    Well, it is pretty much fact. 95% of how your diet affects your body composition is due to the macros you eat - not the foods they come from or any other tenuous details.

Obviously as Areeb points out - for health and so forth - you also have to care about getting micronutrients you need and fibre but to be honest as long as you eat like a grown up this isn't really something that needs thinking about too much.

What I like about it is that I would know how many calories and my macros that I need to be hitting (without the guidance, my diet is really really bad and I will end up undereating.)
    About 0.7-1g of protein per pound of bodyweight
    About .5g of fat per pound of bodyweight

Then fill up the rest of the calories you need with carbs.

The way to find out how many calories you need is through trial and error - simply start counting the calories in the foods you are currently eating and monitor your weight. Adjust the calories upwards until you start to slowly gain weight.

Very simple and doesn't need overcomplicating by any other bull**** as people would have you believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark85)
    Well, it is pretty much fact. 95% of how your diet affects your body composition is due to the macros you eat - not the foods they come from or any other tenuous details.

Obviously as Areeb points out - for health and so forth - you also have to care about getting micronutrients you need and fibre but to be honest as long as you eat like a grown up this isn't really something that needs thinking about too much.

About 0.7-1g of protein per pound of bodyweight
    About .5g of fat per pound of bodyweight

Then fill up the rest of the calories you need with carbs.

The way to find out how many calories you need is through trial and error - simply start counting the calories in the foods you are currently eating and monitor your weight. Adjust the calories upwards until you start to slowly gain weight.

Very simple and doesn't need overcomplicating by any other bull**** as people would have you believe.
    So you don't think it's necassary for me to spend 25 pounds to get a company to work out all my needed macros and calories then?

Some of the people i've been speaking to have simple used the online calculator on iifym.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross E)
    So you don't think it's necassary for me to spend 25 pounds to get a company to work out all my needed macros and calories then?
    Definitely not.

There is no way anyone can tell you the exact figure without you measuring what you eat and your bodyweight and stats over a decent period of time anyway.

If you sent me £25 and I told you to eat 2800 calories, your results wouldn't vary noticeably from whatever figure they tell you as long as you followed the basic principle of measuring and adjusting according to results. That figure is just plucked out of my arse - an honest way to do whatever this company presumably is doing but with less spreadsheets.

You would need to do that with any figure anyone told you anyway - adjust based on experience.

However, my advice is free but if you really feel that you can only be successful by throwing money at things and overcomplicating them - wire me the money and I will put it in a spreadsheet and overcomplicate it more than it needs to be.

Some of the people i've been speaking to have simple used the online calculator on iifym.com
    What you need to understand is that online calculators give you a STARTING POINT. The only way you can tell how many calories you need is through trial and error.

Once you understand this simple point - you realise that it realise that it really doesn't matter what figures you start off with, you just need to adjust them based on experience.

Don't even waste time over thinking this - just pluck a number out of your arse, say 2800 calories, and try that out and monitor your weight and adjust from there. Even better - just carry on eating as you normally do but start to count what you eat and then monitor your results and adjust how much you eat from there.

People put FAR too much stock in online calculators and don't realise that all they are is a VERY rough estimate and that the only way to refine it into a decent workable estimate is through trial and error.

It is really brutally simple but again, people convince themselves to overcomplicate things and waste so much time and thought on things that really don't matter.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.