The Student Room Group

help, results sheet and ums marks for AS really confused

I have got my results and I am really confused as to what is the raw mark and what is my ums mark on my results sheet. I want to see how far away from a B is was (I got a C in my English lang/lit B course for AS) I know the grade for each unit I did and there is a number next to it but I don't know what it means or stands for. please help.
Original post by tgwktm
I have got my results and I am really confused as to what is the raw mark and what is my ums mark on my results sheet. I want to see how far away from a B is was (I got a C in my English lang/lit B course for AS) I know the grade for each unit I did and there is a number next to it but I don't know what it means or stands for. please help.

The number may well be your UMS score - would that make sense? If not, are you able to post a photo of your results slip for us to look at?
Reply 2
if it my ums mark how do I convert that back to the raw mark I got so I know how far I was from the next grade up? I've attached a word doc with the results in.
Reply 3
Original post by tgwktm

Just out getting some lunch, sorry for the delay.

Thanks for the screenshot. From that, just ignore the "points" column on the right. The "mark equiv" column will be your UMS score. You don't say what exam board this is with, but you should be able to use the tables here to work back to get an approximate idea of your raw mark: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2312329
Reply 5
Original post by Illusionary
Just out getting some lunch, sorry for the delay.

Thanks for the screenshot. From that, just ignore the "points" column on the right. The "mark equiv" column will be your UMS score. You don't say what exam board this is with, but you should be able to use the tables here to work back to get an approximate idea of your raw mark: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2312329

yeah sorry I didn't have enough room in the photo for that. English and psychology are AQA and IT and geography are OCR. I am still having trouble with trying to find the maximum ums mark you can get for each unit for the exams done under AQA, do you know where I can find them, I can't calculate my raw marks without them
Original post by tgwktm
yeah sorry I didn't have enough room in the photo for that. English and psychology are AQA and IT and geography are OCR. I am still having trouble with trying to find the maximum ums mark you can get for each unit for the exams done under AQA, do you know where I can find them, I can't calculate my raw marks without them

You should be able to find the maximum AMS score for each module from here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF
Reply 7
Original post by Illusionary
You should be able to find the maximum AMS score for each module from here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH, YOU ARE FANTASTIC. is it ok if I private message you if I need more help?
Original post by tgwktm
THANK YOU SO SO MUCH, YOU ARE FANTASTIC. is it ok if I private message you if I need more help?

It's probably best to continue to use this thread where possible - that way, others in a similar situation can also benefit from the posts here. :smile:
Reply 9
yeah sure that's fine. I have worked out that I was only 7 ums marks of getting a B. so do you think I should carry on with English for A2 even though in other subject I got a higher grade? (I want to drop IT as I find it really hard already so I think A2 will be too much. also I need English as a full a level as I want to be a teacher when i'm older.)
Original post by tgwktm
yeah sure that's fine. I have worked out that I was only 7 ums marks of getting a B. so do you think I should carry on with English for A2 even though in other subject I got a higher grade? (I want to drop IT as I find it really hard already so I think A2 will be too much. also I need English as a full a level as I want to be a teacher when i'm older.)

Carrying on with English sounds sensible here, especially if its a requirement for your future career aspirations. :yep: Perhaps consider whether it would be worth retaking any modules?
Reply 11
I think I have figured out what went wrong in the exam (the coursework was fine I got 54/64 which was an A) I think cause I was writing so quickly some parts may have been hard to read, so I think it was my handwriting. Do you know any ways that you can teach yourself to have better handwriting?

Quick Reply

Latest