Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Juts wondering how people here are going to finance their Access courses?

I only recently caught on the the fact that funding has been withdrawn for mature students, and so the price for most Access courses are in the region of £3000 which is extortionate. If it was half of that or less, I could have paid it upfront in one go, but man, I've got bills to pay, and need to keep my savings for when I (fingers crossed) go on to university.

I've applied for the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan, and have been told I'm eligible for it, and although I was stressing about the cost of the debt (£3k), I was assured that if I go on to successfully complete the degree, it would be written off, and just have the debt from the degree. Not sure how that works if I'm applying for NHS funded degrees?

Anybody else in a similar boat?

ReputationRep:
    Me...

Ive got my 24 plus loan agreed for my Access to Nursing Course.
    Once finished ill apply to do a Nursing Degree which is funded by the NHS as I will be registered to work with them when im a qualified nurse.
    Once I complete the degree my 24plus loan will be written off.

You can apply for a bursary for living expenses whilst at uni which again does not need to be repaid however if you apply for an additional student loan for living expenses you will pay this back once you start work.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing access to nursing too from September and have been approved for the 24+ loan, my understanding is that this will be written off should I complete my degree. I have also got myself a job as a bank hca in a local neurological unit and plan to try and work a couple of shifts a week to have some income while I am studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thatll be great work experience for your personal statement! Do u want to do adult nursing? Im leaning towards childrens nursing atm.

Im working as a carer part time and and have got voluntary work at my local hospital, a local charity for the blind and also st johns ambulance as an events first aider. My access course is part time though so I have more free time than the full time course.

Ao pleased about the 14 plus loan. Would of taken forever to save up the £3000!

ReputationRep:
    I am undecided yet between mental health and adult nursing, am hoping job will help me make my mind up. I am also volunteering with St John's ambulance..it is all getting cery real now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i joined as ive been told its valuable experience for personal statement.
    Alot of competition for places at my chosen uni so im just trying to do as much as I can alongside the access course.
    Im so excited but I know its gonna be hard work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.