Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    I'll be starting a course at BCU next month. Freshers week (aka Welcome Week) is coming closer and I find myself worrying more and more, since I'll be under 18.

Does anyone here know how good my chances of getting into anything are? Has anyone under 18 tried getting in? Would I get ID'd everywhere?
    (I'm not even from around Birmingham so I have no idea what clubs and bars are like).

If that's the case, I won't bother getting the Freshers wristband for 40 quid.

ReputationRep:
    If you go to studenty places, especially on campus bars you'll probably not have much trouble getting in as people will just assume that you're over 18 like the majority of freshers are. If you go to places with more of a mix of students and non/students, they're much more likely to ID people.

Personally, I'd recommend that you just get involved in the freshers activities that don't involve drinking. There are lots of freshers who don't drink and don't like clubs, so you'll not be alone. Besides, pubs can get in a lot of trouble for serving alcohol to minors, and if you do find that places are strict on ID you'll have wasted £40. You've got a lot of time for drinking and partying after you turn 18

Enjoy uni!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your answer! Yeah, I'm excited for the non-drinking events too, obviously. It's just that I'm really scared that I'll be the odd one out for not being able to come out with other people.

ReputationRep:
    hey im a second year at bcu, last year at freshers events took place in different places, some by the uni e.g traffic light party, some elsewhere like bar crawl on broad street. The events that were not on campus you had to show your id to prove your over 18 to get in to, whereas some of the events that were run by the student union your bcu uni card should get you in. For these events im pretty sure I just showed my bcu card and not my driving license. There are also other events that being 17 wont be a problem for, so enjoy

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Glad to hear that there's things I'll be able to do!

ReputationRep:
    What date does freshers start?

ReputationRep:
    It starts on the 14th. You can check the dates for individual events on the website of BCU's student union.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamapanda)
    Thank you for your answer! Yeah, I'm excited for the non-drinking events too, obviously. It's just that I'm really scared that I'll be the odd one out for not being able to come out with other people.
    You definitely won't be the odd on out for not drinking/being able to. I'm of legal age but won't be spending ALL of my time in them :P

ReputationRep:
    wa u gonna do instead then jack

ReputationRep:
    would it be worth it for me to go to on campus events even though i'm gonna be living outside halls?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.