Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am currently trying to decide if I want to take up an opportunity to study at Hiroshima University in Japan.

I emailed my University asking about the study abroad program, and they said since Hiroshima Uni only offers courses in Humanities, students who are not doing any humanities subjects have to take a gap year and do their study abroad then.

I'm doing a BSc in Computer Animation and Special Effects and anticipated that I would not be able to study this there, however what is throwing me off is the gap year... I'm currently about to enter my second year.

Am I right in thinking that because it is done in your gap year the whole thing has to be entirely self-funded? :confused:

This is the only factor that will decide if I can go or not... I speak Japanese, have always wanted to go, have friends over there I would love to meet... but it all depends on how it is funded.

I have contacted my Uni asking but I don't think I will hear from them for a while, so thought I would ask here for some other insights.

Thanks very much in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorae)
    Hi all,

I am currently trying to decide if I want to take up an opportunity to study at Hiroshima University in Japan.

I emailed my University asking about the study abroad program, and they said since Hiroshima Uni only offers courses in Humanities, students who are not doing any humanities subjects have to take a gap year and do their study abroad then.

I'm doing a BSc in Computer Animation and Special Effects and anticipated that I would not be able to study this there, however what is throwing me off is the gap year... I'm currently about to enter my second year.

Am I right in thinking that because it is done in your gap year the whole thing has to be entirely self-funded? :confused:

This is the only factor that will decide if I can go or not... I speak Japanese, have always wanted to go, have friends over there I would love to meet... but it all depends on how it is funded.

I have contacted my Uni asking but I don't think I will hear from them for a while, so thought I would ask here for some other insights.

Thanks very much in advance!

I'm afraid that I don't know whether you'd have to self fund it (though it certainly sounds like it), so I think you really need to pester your university to find out the full details - just keep calling them.

You might find some people on TSR who can help if you say which university you're studying at, or post your question in the forum for your university.

Good luck, I hope you make it to Japan - it's awesome

ReputationRep:
    If it is a self funded thing, I wonder if there could be a work around like transferring onto a joint honours course with a humanities subject (if your university offers them and you're interested enough).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.