Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, we've all just got out AS/A2 results today and I was wondering whether anybody could help me with my predicament. Basically I'm looking to apply for Geology at Uni next year, and the general consensus is to get A-Level results of around ABB. These are my AS results:

-A (188 Mark Equiv/135 points) Edexcel Geography
    -B AQA General Studies (I know it doesn't really count - but Leicester accept it, and I might apply there)
    -C (201 Mark Equiv/105 points) OCR Biology
    -D (171 Mark Equiv/90 points) OCR Chemistry
    -E (91 Mark Equiv/75 points) OCR Computing

Basically I have 2 questions, does anyone know the Mark boundaries for any subjects, I know that it is out of 200 for Geography as I have a friend who got full marks, unsure about the other subjects. Secondly, I need to obviously make a choice of which subject I'm going to drop out of Chemistry or Computing. I found/find Chemistry extremely hard but I improved vastly from a U in the Jan exam to a C + E in the summer. In Computing basically got D's and below so our teacher is calling our papers back. The subject also laps over next year, so theoretically I should be able to "easily" resit both the exams I did this year and improve. On the other hand I can resit one Chemistry exam, but also have 2 Chemistry exams next year which I will find rock solid! I'm also thinking that Chemistry will look a lot better for Geology so you can see my conundrum!

Now, I've done the research for Geology courses at various Uni's (I'm thinking Derby, Leicester, Portsmouth, Southampton, Exeter, Plymouth) So need ABB really. They all see my subjects as 'science' subjects, but Computing is a little frosty. They also say they need at least 1 science subject but I'll be doing three!

Thanks for reading this wall of text, and I hope you got the results you wanted! I'm quite happy with mine, did a lot better than expected, especially in Geography.

If you were in my boots what would do?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Personally I would drop Computing. Chemistry is an important subject for Geology so it will strengthen your application. Most universities now ask for 2 science A levels for Geology, and as Computing is a bit of a "frosty" one like you said, it's probably going to be less useful to you. You also did better in Chemistry than in Computing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.