Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a gap year and applying to uni post A-level in the autumn. My results were BCC, which considering my results last year, I'm quite pleased with. I've decided that I want to do politics and international relations however the required grades are higher than my A-level grades. What sort of places should I be looking at and is there anything else I can do to further my application? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink pineapple)
    I'm taking a gap year and applying to uni post A-level in the autumn. My results were BCC, which considering my results last year, I'm quite pleased with. I've decided that I want to do politics and international relations however the required grades are higher than my A-level grades. What sort of places should I be looking at and is there anything else I can do to further my application? Thanks
    Hi,

What are you planning to do on your gap year?

I would recommend trying to get as much experience as possible, that way you can put it into your personal statement an important part of the application process.

ReputationRep:
    Coventry, Glasgow caldonian, De Montford, UCLan, Manchester met and Kingston all have politics courses for BCC

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdaleeverett)
    Hi,

What are you planning to do on your gap year?

I would recommend trying to get as much experience as possible, that way you can put it into your personal statement an important part of the application process.
    I'm planning on getting a job for the first part of the year to get some money and experience
    For the second part of the year I'm hoping to do some work in France, French was one of my A-levels and I want to continue to improve my French plus I'd like to learn Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink pineapple)
    you could always retake some of your A-Levels? I got BCC and decided to retake rather than going to a random university in clearing and got my grades up to BBB which opened more doors to me.

ReputationRep:
    Plymouth, Nottingham Trent, Coventry and Greenwich all offer politics courses and considering the entry requirements they are pretty high up in the league tables for politics.

However it may be worthwhile retaking some of your exams during your gap year, you'll have a lot more choices.

Good luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You could retake if you want to open up more universities available to you. Alternatively get some work experience. You should have planned your gap year in advance, to be honest. Else, it will be a waste of your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Kenobi)
    You could retake if you want to open up more universities available to you. Alternatively get some work experience. You should have planned your gap year in advance, to be honest. Else, it will be a waste of your time.
    I'm not retaking anything becuase I'm happy with my results. I know what I'm doing with my year out. I'm considering getting some work experience but I need to get a job first. I've had it planned out for ages.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.