Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi basically after getting my results today and exceeding my predictions i have decided to take a gap year an reapply. However i don't know what to do on my gap year and i would like to do something maths based to keep up my skills. I just don't have any ideas and i fear its too late to apply for anything. Plus i don't have enough money for travelling since i stupidly quite my job thinking i was going to go to uni, so i'm now trying find a new one and failing.
    Anyway any ideas would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hello well done :-)
    Well I know that Nationwide and Intel both do really good (unpaid) internships, focussed on the more business side of maths, so statistics.
    There are paid internships available as ell if you need the money, but they are a lot more competitive - but if you start applying now you might get lucky :-)
    OUr teachers always said don't do travelling - that a Uni won't care if we've climbed a mountain, they would rather we had experience in the relevant subject area, showing we are hard workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BumbleB33)
    Hi basically after getting my results today and exceeding my predictions i have decided to take a gap year an reapply. However i don't know what to do on my gap year and i would like to do something maths based to keep up my skills. I just don't have any ideas and i fear its too late to apply for anything. Plus i don't have enough money for travelling since i stupidly quite my job thinking i was going to go to uni, so i'm now trying find a new one and failing.
    Anyway any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    Hey there! I'm also a maths applicant and taking a gap year. I'm planning on volunteering abroad with the International Citizen Service scheme from September to December to start off my gap year. I'm also going to be travelling sometime in the summer before university (I have no money for that yet though, so I'll need to find a job at some point!).

In between all of that I was planning on finding a job, and also getting some maths related work experience in somehow. My old secondary school has also said I could volunteer my time one day a week for the GCSE students who are borderline C/D and with the really bright Year 7-9 pupils who need harder work to stop them getting bored. Maybe ask at your old school and see if you can do something similar. I'm going to be working on a project for them to encourage more people to do the maths challenges, and try to help them prepare. I know it's not the most exciting or challenging work, but it's maths related!

What A Levels did you take? If you didn't do further maths maybe you could do an AS in that to keep your skills up? And read some maths books if you haven't already? I have a list of good ones if you want any recommendations! Just PM me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.