ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustinTiller)
    AS Results

• Chemistry: predicted C/ achieved U
    • English Language & Literature: predicted A/ achieved B
    • History: predicted A/ achieved D
    • Psychology: predicted A/ achieved U

Comments and Reactions
    I knew what to expect but was surprised to get a U in Psychology I thought I'd of scraped an E. History was also much lower than expected. Got an A for ELLA1 which was a real plus but got a C for ELLA2 which again is disappointing for English but is the least of my problems and is still salvageable like History. Not sure what to do about next year at sixth form college and how I'm going to be able to perform to my ability instead of achieving way under it.
    I'd like some advice on what to do for my next year at Sixth Form College. In hindsight I shouldn't of done Psychology, I found the content extremely boring and spent most of my time copying powerpoints down. The original plan was for Chemistry to be dropped at AS because I enjoy it but it is labelled as a hard subject instead I've spent more time on Psychology which has in turn effected the rest of my AS results. Part of the problem is I have no solid idea on what I want to do at University or as a career. My AS level choices weren't particularly linked either, and as the year has gone on my current attainment grades have gone from A/B to C/D and Us. After Easter I made a real effort to boost my grades back up through my own initiative but it was rather too late. I worked hard throughout most of the year putting in the time but it doesn't seem the work was constructive. My main weakness was revision as I hadn't found a system that worked til the exam period. The most immediate problem is whether next year will be salvageable or if I'm looking at a further year at college and more worryingly is how I'm going to start working to my ability again. I have an appointment with my Head of Sixth Form next week and would appreciate constructive advice or other channels which could provide me with some guidance.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustinTiller)
    I'd like some advice on what to do for my next year at Sixth Form College. In hindsight I shouldn't of done Psychology, I found the content extremely boring and spent most of my time copying powerpoints down. The original plan was for Chemistry to be dropped at AS because I enjoy it but it is labelled as a hard subject instead I've spent more time on Psychology which has in turn effected the rest of my AS results. Part of the problem is I have no solid idea on what I want to do at University or as a career. My AS level choices weren't particularly linked either, and as the year has gone on my current attainment grades have gone from A/B to C/D and Us. After Easter I made a real effort to boost my grades back up through my own initiative but it was rather too late. I worked hard throughout most of the year putting in the time but it doesn't seem the work was constructive. My main weakness was revision as I hadn't found a system that worked til the exam period. The most immediate problem is whether next year will be salvageable or if I'm looking at a further year at college and more worryingly is how I'm going to start working to my ability again. I have an appointment with my Head of Sixth Form next week and would appreciate constructive advice or other channels which could provide me with some guidance.
    If you neither enjoy nor find that you're good at Psychology, dropping that sounds sensible to me. To pull up your Chemistry result, you'll likely be looking at more than just a strong performance at A2. It's possible to combine your A2 year with retakes of AS units, but be careful not to overload yourself with too many exams at once - that could have a negative impact on all of those that you attempt next year.

Remember that university isn't your only option beyond A-Level - there are plenty of other options if it doesn't appeal - but equally, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to find a place successfully,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    If you neither enjoy nor find that you're good at Psychology, dropping that sounds sensible to me. To pull up your Chemistry result, you'll likely be looking at more than just a strong performance at A2. It's possible to combine your A2 year with retakes of AS units, but be careful not to overload yourself with too many exams at once - that could have a negative impact on all of those that you attempt next year.
    At the beginning of the year I had three careers I was interested in which is why I ended with such a mismatch of A level choices. Dropping Psychology is definitely the way forward. I hadn't really considered continuing Chemistry because the discouragement from doing so isn't worth it and I don't think continuing it would be wise but it is something I'll suggest to my Head of Sixth Form seeing as I got an A in the Discovery Projects we had to do at the end of term which will support my case, thank you.

(Original post by Illusionary)
    Remember that university isn't your only option beyond A-Level - there are plenty of other options if it doesn't appeal - but equally, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to find a place successfully,
    I want to go to University as it looks a good experience from the open days I've been on and I like learning so what's the harm in dossing around in education for a few more years. I have considered apprenticeships but as I don't know what career I wish to pursue, it could be a heavy handed decision.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.