Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

discount for 'scantily clad girls' to stop them being attacked Watch

ReputationRep:
    Wear a short skirt to get a cheap taxi: Council considers fare discount for 'scantily clad girls' to stop them being attacked

Brentwood Borough Council considering urging taxis to drop fares for women in revealing clothes to prevent them becoming a target

Councillor blames TOWIE for women who 'can't possibly wear any less'

Slammed for emphasising how women dress rather than their attackers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attacked.html

Personally i don't see this working but if it does get implemented i could see this as a good thing if it stops women from being raped because lets face it most women are never going to stop dressing the way they do and if it stops one woman being raped this is a good thing

ReputationRep:
    Lol, stupid idea.

ReputationRep:
    Thats just not smart

ReputationRep:
    Pathetic idea. It's indirectly victim-blaming. And directly rewarding women for looking like sluts.

ReputationRep:
    I think if this came in girls are far more likely to dress even worse to get the cheap taxi!

ReputationRep:
    Taxis should be able to charge the going fare for their service. Why are they assuming that they're being raped because they can't afford a taxi fare? :curious: Their clothes or TOWIE isn't to blame either, it's the rapist.

Stupid suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    One of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, look at Islamic countries where women cover themselves from head to toe and rape is hugely common... or at children, dressed just like a normal child, who are sexually abused.. it's quite clearly not the outfit that draws people to rape or sexual abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dennisraymondsmith)
    lets face it most women are never going to stop dressing the way they do
    Why should they? It's the general societal attitudes that often lead to rape that are to blame for rapists, not the way a woman dresses. In some countries, women covered head to toe in burkhas are getting raped.

If you are out on the street alone at night (never a wise idea for anyone, but that's a separate matter) and someone wants to rape you, it probably has very little to do with how little you are wearing.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty sad in a sense they have to resort to that, however I think the council are in a way rewarding girls for dressing indecently, people are more likely to wear clothes like that for a cheaper fare. Apart from that they're basically saying if you dress like this you'll get raped, but you could be wearing anything and still get raped.

Irrelevant but Brentwood was decent before the clubs and TOWIE came into the picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sloaney Pony)
    Why should they? It's the general societal attitudes that often lead to rape that are to blame for rapists, not the way a woman dresses. In some countries, women covered head to toe in burkhas are getting raped.

If you are out on the street alone at night (never a wise idea for anyone, but that's a separate matter) and someone wants to rape you, it probably has very little to do with how little you are wearing.
    Exactly! rapists will rape regardless of what you wear, it's sad but true.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't they put more money into having more police on duty at night... Target the rapist.

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine a lot of women who work night shift bringing a change of revealing clothes to save on the taxi fare. Anyway its a stupid idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Levingne)
    It's pretty sad in a sense they have to resort to that, however I think the council are in a way rewarding girls for dressing indecently, people are more likely to wear clothes like that for a cheaper fare. Apart from that they're basically saying if you dress like this you'll get raped, but you could be wearing anything and still get raped.
    I think it's a stupid idea, but they're not really saying that, are they?

To use the most tired analogy, your car could get broken into even if it's empty, but the police still have campaigns telling you not to leave valuables visible. (To clarify, I'm opposed to the scheme described in OP, I just don't think your specific point was very logical.)

ReputationRep:
    This will just promote my least favorite activity of girls pushing to the front of the Taxi rank at the end of the night.

I'm very embracing of equal opportunities so they normally get told to 'Foxtrot Oscar' by me and they can take their own chances.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely barmy. I'm a man and I'd star wearing a mini skirt on nights out if it got me home cheaper.

(Original post by Beckyweck)
      I think if this came in girls are far more likely to dress even worse to get the cheap taxi!
      This!
      What a stupid idea.

ReputationRep:
      Even if we take the assumption that scantily-clad women are more likely to be attacked as a fact, this is stupid. By lowering cab fares for scantily clad women,you would encourage more women to dress in this manner, which could potentially increase the rate of attacks.

Basically, his policy would still be crap even if it was based on fact.

ReputationRep:
      I totally agree that this is indirect victim blaming and it sends out the wrong message to young women. Why don't we start to teach boys and young men that a scantily clad women does not equal an easy lay?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Annaaaa)
      I totally agree that this is indirect victim blaming and it sends out the wrong message to young women. Why don't we start to teach boys and young men that a scantily clad women does not equal an easy lay?
      Why don't we not make misandrist comments that put all the blame upon males? Females can commit sexual assault and only cannot commit rape because the UK justice system discriminates against males in the definition of rape. Not all rapists are male and not all rape victims are Female.

ReputationRep:
      What the duck. If anything it would encourage women to wear something more revealing to get a cheap ride home. I can see their point about getting them off the street from any potential danger, but that's not the answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.