Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a place at Plymouth (4 hours away) and Greenwich (2 hour train ride away), I'd rather go to Plymouth because I think I'll be happier there but my parents want me to go to Greenwich because it's closer and they also want me to commute there instead of getting accommodation.

I do want to go to Plymouth but I can't ask my parents to drive me there and back seeing as it's an 8 hour journey and both of my parents are ill and I just can't ask them to do that.

I don't know what to do, anyone got any advice?
    • PS Reviewer

(Original post by iLoveRobSwire<3)
    I have a place at Plymouth (4 hours away) and Greenwich (2 hour train ride away), I'd rather go to Plymouth because I think I'll be happier there but my parents want me to go to Greenwich because it's closer and they also want me to commute there instead of getting accommodation.

I do want to go to Plymouth but I can't ask my parents to drive me there and back seeing as it's an 8 hour journey and both of my parents are ill and I just can't ask them to do that.

I don't know what to do, anyone got any advice?
    You should base your decision on where you think you will be happy for 3 years. Would you not be able to travel between home and Plymouth without assistance from your parents? How about by coach or bus?

ReputationRep:
    It is much better to live on campus, if you don't you miss out on possibly the best experience of your life. If you search around, you can find companies that will deliver your stuff on the cheap plus when it comes down to it, I'm sure there's lots of your things which you don't need to take.

ReputationRep:
    Are these clearing offers? You will need to act fast as they will only stay open for 24/48 hours. Unionview will give you a bit of a pictorial tour of the place, assuming they are on it. Are your parents willing to help fund you living away? Four hours commuting a day is an awful lot and will be pretty expensive. There might not be much between the costs of living away and commuting as Plymouth isn't going to be expensive, in the grand scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
    2 hours and they want you to commute? I wouldn't commute 2 hours to uni, it'd suck every ounce of fun out of freshers.

Anyway can you get yourself and stuff to Plymouth by yourself? If so, I'd go there. Or do you feel guilty about leaving your folks?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Lampeter Harry. Living on campus is the best way to experience the first year of University as you are immediately thrown in with others in the same situation. It really helps you to develop and grow as a person too and it means you have study resources (the University library) close by. Perhaps you should work out the good things about going to Plymouth and the negative and talk this through with your parents? My sister goes to Falmouth University and we live in Brighton but she manages to get there by public transport.

I hope it all works out,

Rebecca

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to say this, and I mean no disrespect your parents, but it's YOUR education! If you can afford the accomadation, I'd say you have to disobey your parents wishes and go to Plymouth. I realize there ill, and I wish them all the best and a speedy recovery, but while it's summer break, find out uni costs regarding accomadation, or accomadation near the campus, and, if everything works, you should just go Plymouth! As I've said, your education friend!

ReputationRep:
    Moreover, this 4 hours of commuting means that you have 4 hours less for learning. Also, I have friend that tried it and in the end to go with us to pubs etc. or when we have deadlines he slept on a sofa in the living room. If you want help, contact with other students etc. I would advise campus or at least, the town where the uni is.

And after 3 years of commuting to highschool that was 30 min away, and waiting on bus stations etc. I can tell that this might be challenging. Especially since uni requires much more work.

I would advise thinking this though very thoroughly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyalimers)
    You should base your decision on where you think you will be happy for 3 years. Would you not be able to travel between home and Plymouth without assistance from your parents? How about by coach or bus?
    They're the ones who are going to drive me there with my stuff then drive home again so it has to be them :\

(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Are these clearing offers? You will need to act fast as they will only stay open for 24/48 hours. Unionview will give you a bit of a pictorial tour of the place, assuming they are on it. Are your parents willing to help fund you living away? Four hours commuting a day is an awful lot and will be pretty expensive. There might not be much between the costs of living away and commuting as Plymouth isn't going to be expensive, in the grand scheme of things.
    Yeah they're both clearing offers. My parents said they will be able to send some money every month but they said I'll save more money if I stay home and commute to Greenwich

(Original post by rockrunride)
    2 hours and they want you to commute? I wouldn't commute 2 hours to uni, it'd suck every ounce of fun out of freshers.

Anyway can you get yourself and stuff to Plymouth by yourself? If so, I'd go there. Or do you feel guilty about leaving your folks?
    I don't drive and my dad is the only one who can. My mum just told me that if there's an emergency, being 4 hours away is gonna be difficult so they both want me to stay at home.

ReputationRep:
    I don't drive and my dad is the only one who can. My mum just told me that if there's an emergency, being 4 hours away is gonna be difficult so they both want me to stay at home.
    I think the honest truth is that no one here can tell you what to do because only you know what your relationship with your parents is. There will be some who say it's your life and some who say you should obey your parents, but nobody really knows anyone else's family dynamics and only you can say whether this is a genuine fear on their part or them trying to put the squeeze on you.
    • PS Reviewer

They're the ones who are going to drive me there with my stuff then drive home again so it has to be them :\
    For a one-off, I'm sure your parents would agree. You wouldn't have to do it again after all!

ReputationRep:
    If you have an emergency, then that's a risk loads of uni students run by going a long way. If you're worried about your parents getting into trouble, then the decision has got to be at your discretion since you know your relationship with your parents better than we do.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the uni that is offering the best course - look at both websites and really ignore everything else whilst you analyse this

Yes Plymouth is a distance but an overnight in a cheap hotel will give them an easier trip and a day at the seaside

ReputationRep:
    As a mother I can understand your parents worry about you being further away but you need to make the best decision for you not them. Have a look at getting the train to the university. It may be a pain taking your stuff on the train but it'll be worth it for you to have 3 years somewhere that you'll be happy.
    All the best with whatever choice you make.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I also think a 2 hour commute every day is going to be a bit difficult. A friend of mine did an hour commute and he nearly quit the course after a year because it of all the travelling (he didn't quit and ended up with a 1st but he had zero life out side of uni and ended up ill and stressed all the time)

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.