Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    need more information and more guidance on this career....:tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    Post-grad Journalism? Competitive though.

ReputationRep:
    One of my dreams is to set up my own magazine, I've got loads of ideas, but too many other dreams to commit to this one. Cessie's right it is fiercely competitive.

What sorts of mags are you into lulu?

ReputationRep:
    yeah.. it really is a tough competition.. but i wasn't really thinking along the lines of journalism area of it.. more on the analytical editing side... however i do realise journalism comes into that...

magazines that i read are more, i do not like heat, i read glamour. Glamour seems to have more class to it than other magazines... if i could say one magazine that i would like to take over it would be that or Elle..

thats quite a good discussion starter.. which magazines are classed as classier than others? women magazines i mean.

I really despise being preached to about celebrities on every single page of a magazine.. however this is what consumers value at the moment.. complete obsession and the need to know what celebrities are doing, eating etc..

ReputationRep:
    I've never read Glamour, I'm not a fan of women's mags at all though. I guess you've got to be ruthless sometimes to make money and if that means writing about stuff which you think is worthless then er, well it doesn't sound too good to me.

You should try and create something you would want to read, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    i am going to join the magazine at uni when i go in september.. this should give me some experience..

even though i am not interested in this ... we were saying how there should be a market in the magazine industry for the elderly.. with BIG print writing.. as my grandma is perfectly capable mentally to read a magazine at 79.. but finds it difficult with her eyesight.... and the small print.. just a thought

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I knew there would be loads of group uncatered for with mainstream mags: although I'm sure there are lots of subject specific mags out there that cater for the eldery already.

Good luck with the uni mag - I did the same, it was a good laugh.

What are you doing at uni? You would probably have to go to a better uni than Lincoln though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    What are you doing at uni? You would probably have to go to a better uni than Lincoln though.
    media and advertising...

ReputationRep:
    My parents are both journalists. They have degrees in law, and politics. (Neither from especially great unis.) Tis a well paid job once you've been around a while, but it now pays incredibly poorly when you start off, because so many people want to do it, they can pay graduates minimum wage and still have people biting their hands off to do it.
    The advice my mum gives is to do a degree in an MFL, as they're generally more respected than the new journalism courses, and if you're fluent in a language, you can cover stories abroad, which is a)exciting and b)something there isn't as much competition for.
    This is newspaper journalism though, I suppose its a bit different for magazines.

Yea, an academic degree rather than one of the newer ones from a better university will get you so much further if you want to become a magazine editor, its very competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Money will be the biggest problem with launching a magazine (hundreds of thousands required). The next biggest problem is making sure you are not bankrupt within the first month, because as mentioned it is one of the most competitive industries and the majority fail. Hence, you should have lots of financial backing, and a hell of a lot of experience in the industry so you know exactly what you are doing and what niche you are aiming at.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose try and gain as much experience in the industry as possible; easier said than done, though with sheer determination and persistence I'm sure it can be.

It's so bloody difficult to even get a pissing rejection letter of these people.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.