The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Bursaries at Queen Mary

Hi All,

Hope everybody who was expecting results was happy with what they got. I wanted to know whether QMUL will contact me regarding bursaries/scholarships or if I need to contact them. There website says that they will automatically assess my situation with details from Student Finance England but should I just wait? Hope anybody who has information about this can help me.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by naman
Hi All,

Hope everybody who was expecting results was happy with what they got. I wanted to know whether QMUL will contact me regarding bursaries/scholarships or if I need to contact them. There website says that they will automatically assess my situation with details from Student Finance England but should I just wait? Hope anybody who has information about this can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there :smile: the QM Bursary that is based on household income will be allocated to you automatically - you do not have to apply for it. They confirm in around November the amount that you are going to recieve and then it is paid in two parts (I believe February and April). For more information on what level you can expect to recieve http://www.arcs.qmul.ac.uk/students/finances/bursaries-grants-scholarships/qm-bursaries/index.html
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by ChloeElizabeth
Hi there :smile: the QM Bursary that is based on household income will be allocated to you automatically - you do not have to apply for it. They confirm in around November the amount that you are going to recieve and then it is paid in two parts (I believe February and April). For more information on what level you can expect to recieve http://www.arcs.qmul.ac.uk/students/finances/bursaries-grants-scholarships/qm-bursaries/index.html

thanks for the reply. can the bursary not be credited in to my SFE account directly? I mean suppose you get a bursary of £1000 for the first year, do I have to take out a loan of £9000 and then get £1000 in my bank or can the loan just be for £8000? The only reason I ask is that it would save me from paying interest on that extra 1k.
Reply 3
Original post by naman
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

If SFE details get passed onto QMUL, just need to give them your details later on, such as bank details, etc
The bursary usually comes in 2 amounts, one in February and another in April/may.
Original post by naman
thanks for the reply. can the bursary not be credited in to my SFE account directly? I mean suppose you get a bursary of £1000 for the first year, do I have to take out a loan of £9000 and then get £1000 in my bank or can the loan just be for £8000? The only reason I ask is that it would save me from paying interest on that extra 1k.

Yes I see your point but that is very unlikely, the bursaries are paid out in February and April into your bank account (the same one that your SF is paid into) and this is because of the times that the university recieves your tutor fee funding from SFE. (SFE pay them one sum in September and another in around March). You can speak to the university directly about seeing if you can pay this money off early, but I wouldn't worry too much about it - come February you will likely find this money is far more useful for books and food!
Reply 5
Wait, is anyone who is under the £25k a year bracket automatically eligible for the 1.5k bursary?
Reply 6
Original post by yaboy
Wait, is anyone who is under the £25k a year bracket automatically eligible for the 1.5k bursary?

That's what I was wondering, don't queen mary provide different amounts of bursaries which are dependent on household income?
Reply 7
Original post by yaboy

Original post by Rajvir
That's what I was wondering, don't queen mary provide different amounts of bursaries which are dependent on household income?

If you qualify for maintenance grant, etc from SFE then QMUL will automatically know as they pass the info on to them, and then they automatically plan the finance stuff.
Reply 8
Original post by Iqbal007
If you qualify for maintenance grant, etc from SFE then QMUL will automatically know as they pass the info on to them, and then they automatically plan the finance stuff.

So when do queen mary let their students know whether or not they have received the bursary?
Reply 9
Original post by Rajvir
So when do queen mary let their students know whether or not they have received the bursary?

Usually later on, theres plenty of time before they hand out bursaries as they do so in 2nd semester February and April.
Reply 10
Original post by Iqbal007
Usually later on, theres plenty of time before they hand out bursaries as they do so in 2nd semester February and April.

Oh okay thanks. :smile:
Original post by yaboy

It's on a scale, here http://www.arcs.qmul.ac.uk/students/...ies/index.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending