Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

finding somewhere to rents more stressful than finding results Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought yesterday/this morning as stressful enough, in the build up to finding out my results. I got into my first choice uni. However I didnt get into halls there. Me and another girl have teamed up to find somewhere to live. We've phoned up maybe 20 places today. About 4 answered the phone and out of that we've been able to book 2 viewings.

Is anyone else finding somewhere to live more stressful than results?

At least I have been looking over the last few days at private accommodation so i'm ahead of some people. But many people either end up at their insurance choice or somewhere else in clearing, somewhere they haven't already looked for houses on the internet even. So I can't imagine what it's like for them, especially if they had to go through the stress of clearing.

ReputationRep:
    If you've never done it before it can be stressful. But you've got a while before you start, so I'd relax and make housing enquiries at your leisure. In somewhere like London, for example, it's actually hard to find private housing if you want to move in more than a few weeks after your viewing.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed!

I just got my place confirmed this morning at Birmingham.
    I couldn't put a deposit on anything before now in case I didn't get in!

And now it seems all the flats in the building I'm interested in have been let.

There's a handful on Rightmove and Zoopla but phoning up and speaking to agents, I soon found out that these are just outdated adverts.

Really frustrating, and quite worrying!

I managed to book 1 viewing for tomorrow morning, so wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely stressful. I'm doing a foundation year, so I can't stay in halls. I only found a place to rent in this month despite me looking since June. NEVER CALL ESTATE AGENTS BECAUSE THEY WILL NEVER GET BACK TO YOU. It's best to go to them but that can be hard if you don't live in the area. Maybe you could try a website called Accomodation for students. That's where I found a place. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.