Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Winter Holidays in Switzerland Watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and my girlfriend would like to go to Switzerland this winter, though I'm finding planning such a holiday to be pretty difficult and daunting..

I have no idea how to even decide where/which city would be ideal to stay in, or how to find what there is to do around the places. Google searches being either holiday packages which are a bit expensive, or just vague descriptions of the area, simply weren't helpful at all. All the holidays I've ever been on either had itineraries already produced, or I was too young to remember how we went about it. We wanted to go somewhere where it would feel more Christmasy than it does here, and we are interested in absorbing the culture, and being more active (such as skiing, perhaps).

Just looking for advice on how to get started with planning this, and hopefully some recommendations from those who have been before. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I went to Adelboden in Bern during summer, we didn't see much in the way of a city - we were doing things like mountain walks and canyoning. There was skiing available there in the winter. It was a lovely place, but maybe a bit rural if you were looking for something more like a city break. Even for a town that size there was plenty to do, although much of what we did wouldn't be possible in winter.

(Original post by FireGarden)
      Me and my girlfriend would like to go to Switzerland this winter, though I'm finding planning such a holiday to be pretty difficult and daunting.
      Go to Genève, Gstaad, Sankt Mortiz or Zürich, Gstaad and Sankt Mortiz are the skiing areas and are beautiful, Zürich is also lovely. Overall though, everywhere is very expensive in Switzerland though. Munich, Germany is a lovely place to go to over Christmas, the Christmas markets :adore: you can also catch the train to Zürich for a day trip and it's also cheaper

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.