Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had originally planned to study Economics at university. I was predicted AABB, but I had set myself AAAB as I found that when I had begun to settle in more I was achieving higher results. I'm fairly annoyed that I had a good mark in the first paper for Economics and History and rubbish in the other. I'm so confused. Suggestions as to where to go from here? I've already dropped Further Maths.

Results:

AS Economics C 133/200 ums
    Unit 1 A 83/100
    Unit 2 D 50/100

AS Further Maths B 218/300 ums
    FP1 B 79/100

AS History C 126/200 ums
    Paper 1 B 73/100
    Paper 2 D 53/100

AS Maths B 210/300 ums
    C1: C 68/100
    C2: B 77/100
    M1: A 80/100
    S1: D 59/100
    D1: C 65/100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathrg26)
    I had originally planned to study Economics at university. I was predicted AABB, but I had set myself AAAB as I found that when I had begun to settle in more I was achieving higher results. I'm fairly annoyed that I had a good mark in the first paper for Economics and History and rubbish in the other. I'm so confused. Suggestions as to where to go from here? I've already dropped Further Maths.

Results:

Unit 1 A 83/100
    Unit 2 D 50/100

FP1 B 79/100

AS History C 126/200 ums
    Paper 1 B 73/100
    Paper 2 D 53/100

AS Maths B 210/300 ums
    BBCC is still good, it will just mean you will have to retake economics at A2
    You can do well at a2 and get an a in maths.
    Unis want AAB or ABB Good luck and don't fret.

ReputationRep:
    You've done worse on the second paper of History and Economics, was that due to not studying enough or did you find them both hard?

ReputationRep:
    I can only relate to my own experience. I got C in AS history and I wanted to study history at university. My teacher told me to keep my chin up, retake and work harder. That is exactly what I did, and I managed an A* at A2 and got into Warwick. If you want any advice or anything message me, I've been there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orihime)
    You've done worse on the second paper of History and Economics, was that due to not studying enough or did you find them both hard?
    Both papers the second time round were a lot harder than previous exams. I also struggled with concentration as they were both in the afternoon and I had taken another exam in the morning. I was comfortable with the amount of preparation I had done, I could've done a bit more but I believe that would've messed up the balance of revision for my maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generaljonny)
    I can only relate to my own experience. I got C in AS history and I wanted to study history at university. My teacher told me to keep my chin up, retake and work harder. That is exactly what I did, and I managed an A* at A2 and got into Warwick. If you want any advice or anything message me, I've been there.
    Thank you so much for your reply. I'm considering retaking C1, S1 and my Econ 2. I'm not sure whether or not to take my 2nd History paper again. How hard was it to relearn everything again? Next year, the history exam will be very different in terms of essay technique. I'm not sure how I'd cope with practicing both essay styles as I barely grasped the ones this year. Do you think it would be too much to take History on as well, considering I can only take resits in the summer with my A2s now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    BBCC is still good, it will just mean you will have to retake economics at A2
    You can do well at a2 and get an a in maths.
    Unis want AAB or ABB Good luck and don't fret.
    Thanks for your reply. I'm determined to turn it around next year

ReputationRep:

Results:

Unit 1 A 83/100
    Unit 2 D 50/100

FP1 B 79/100

AS History C 126/200 ums
    Paper 1 B 73/100
    Paper 2 D 53/100

AS Maths B 210/300 ums
    If it makes you feel better, in January I was absolutely gutted after achieving CDDE. I made the decision to drop Chemistry and just focus on Maths, Physics and Biology. I started doing 8.5 hour days which was really tough and made me feel like crying half the time! Anyway today I got the results and I achieved AAB (the B only being a couple of marks off an A, so I should be able to make it up in A2).
    Don't give up! I know it is totally gutting - I've been there!

I just thought to myself in March, you know I will do the 8.5 hour days so that even if I fail then I'll know that I tried my best at least!

'Failure can do two things. It can either knock you down, or make you feel so freakin' mad that you try even harder to get the success you know you deserve.'

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your reply. I'm considering retaking C1, S1 and my Econ 2. I'm not sure whether or not to take my 2nd History paper again. How hard was it to relearn everything again? Next year, the history exam will be very different in terms of essay technique. I'm not sure how I'd cope with practicing both essay styles as I barely grasped the ones this year. Do you think it would be too much to take History on as well, considering I can only take resits in the summer with my A2s now?
    Well generally the AS exams are at a different time to the A2 ones. So there should be a comfortable gap between them if you are like me and prefer revising closer to the exam date. I resat both my history papers as I had got 68 in both. Yes for A2 the technique is undoubtedly different. For example, my A2 paper was the OCR Ireland 1798-1921 themes paper which is completely different (focusing on comparative judgements and thematic analyses) to my AS papers - Italian Unification and Pitt to Peel.

You have to work at it. I can't possibly offer you an easy piece of advice that solves everything. I didn't actually find it impossibly challenging to relearn everything, but again it is relative, I knew I was fighting to go to a good university in the subject I was extremely interested in so I put in a major, like next level effort. In fact I think I worked more for the resits and A2s than I have done done for my first and second years at uni.

Think about what you want to resit. It may be difficult to resit everything you don't want to completely burn yourself out. Double check the timetabling, is there a long gap between the AS papers and the A2, if so, then you have time.

Perhaps slighly irrelevant but anyway. What I discovered was that especially for the source paper it was all about a rigid technique of correct comparisons and things and hardly about own knowledge. For A2 technique is still incredibly important but more of your own knowledge and crucially, your own judgement comes into play.

As it happens I did AS maths too, C1, C2 and S1. In my experience, resitting them would be less work than resitting the history papers, but in my opinion definitely possible.

I would consider resitting both AS history papers. Perhaps my views are coloured by the fact it ended well for me (and the fact I wanted to study history), but if you work like hell next year I'm sure you can pull it off.

In terms of how hard I worked, this worked for me but you are a completely different person to take it with a pinch of salt, you know how you operate better than I do. For my AS history I spent like 2-3 days revising before the exam - pretty bad, and it was bad quality revision - like terrible. For my resits I spent 2 weeks solid on one paper - writing notes, reading the notes, mind maps, saying stuff out loud, essay plans etc and a week and a half on the other. Perhaps I was fortunate to be able to do that because of the timetabling. For my A2 paper I was working with a view towards the exams throughout the year. My teacher had the class writing frequent essays and these were invaluable when it came to revision at the end of the year. I volunteered more essays too for him to mark when it came to the exam period. I also wrote essay plans - looked at the ocr mark schemes for previous year, practiced hand-written esays under timed conditions, memorised answers to questions.

Most importantly was exam technique. Get that locked down. Ask your teacher questions, give him practice essays to mark, ask (if he doesn't give you much advice) where you can improve.

I had originally planned on doing an EPQ but obviously I had to focus on my A-levels so I dropped that. So.worth.it.

I have nothing to offer you but sweat, hardwork and hopefully not so many tears (I'm pretty sure I sobbed a bit at some point) but if it pays off you will be the happiest person in the world.

Sorry if this is rambling and incoherant I haven't been to bed yet.

As ever if you need any more help or advice don't hesitate to contact me at any point.

Also, I wish I'd had the presence of mind to do this. But if your able to get your papers back then you can go over it with a teacher and he/she can show you exactly where you went wrong. Moreover, by the time you do your AS resits you will be a year older. Your writing will have matured and become more refined and so undoubtedly your mark will increase second time round.

ReputationRep:
    I was 10 UMS marks off for chemistry for an A. Do you think I should get it remarked? Or does it depend on how I felt about the exam and whether i think i deserved that A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiess)
    I was 10 UMS marks off for chemistry for an A. Do you think I should get it remarked? Or does it depend on how I felt about the exam and whether i think i deserved that A
    I was one or two ums off 70 in my history at AS. I got both papers remarked and the mark did not shift. I would say that you would be unlikely to gain more than 10 marks unless they've cocked up majorly. Though I have heard of cases where it did happen.

To be honest I'm not sure. If you're far enough above the the B boundary (ie theres no chance you could go down a grade) than go for it if you have the cash to do so. But consult your teachers and other people as well.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you'll be able to find 10 UMS marks. One could be possible, but chemistry is a very exact subject to mark, it isn't hugely subjective. If it makes you feel any better, I got CCCC in AS yesterday when I was predicted AABB. Almost nothing is as bad as that (gap year here I come!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynical_Smile01)
    I doubt you'll be able to find 10 UMS marks. One could be possible, but chemistry is a very exact subject to mark, it isn't hugely subjective. If it makes you feel any better, I got CCCC in AS yesterday when I was predicted AABB. Almost nothing is as bad as that (gap year here I come!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah i thought so too- though I could've sworn I did enough to get an A which is really odd. The exam went alright and I could answer most questions with certainty so I just don't know what went wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generaljonny)
    I was one or two ums off 70 in my history at AS. I got both papers remarked and the mark did not shift. I would say that you would be unlikely to gain more than 10 marks unless they've cocked up majorly. Though I have heard of cases where it did happen.

To be honest I'm not sure. If you're far enough above the the B boundary (ie theres no chance you could go down a grade) than go for it if you have the cash to do so. But consult your teachers and other people as well.
    Yeah, i could i guess- just really in denial about my grade cause I felt that chemistry went the best for me, and I got the lowest in that subject.

ReputationRep:
    I got the same grade in AS Economics as well (C), really not happy with it because I was achieving A's in the mocks and was predicted a B. That means TWO Re-takes for me in June. Don't think I can achieve a B/A now for A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peju)
    I got the same grade in AS Economics as well (C), really not happy with it because I was achieving A's in the mocks and was predicted a B. That means TWO Re-takes for me in June. Don't think I can achieve a B/A now for A2.
    You certainly can. If you've read the thread, I got a C in AS History - the subject I wanted to study for university. I retook both papers and did well in the A2 papers and got an A* for A2. I worked hard. If you do the same you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i could i guess- just really in denial about my grade cause I felt that chemistry went the best for me, and I got the lowest in that subject.
    Yeah, It's funny how A levels work. I was predicted A's in both History and Economics and they were my lowest grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.