The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Is upper class not techically those with titles?
how do you define upper class? if its in terms of heritage and aristocratic blood then definetly no since nearly all of the aristocracy was wiped out in Russia in early 20th.

on the one hand my dad came from a very very working class family but managed to finish 2 very good Soviet Unis before becoming General Manager of a very big company..

My mum on the other hand used to be a doctor (bah..she still bugs me to the day that i havent continued the family tradition lol) and her parents/grandparents for atleast several generations were either in the medical profession or high up in the military...which in those days was i guess as prestigious as it got.

in terms of finances..well..we have 3 homes..used to have another 3 (1 luxury flat + 2 storey house in Florida + a house in Russia) which we sold (we simply didnt live there/visit lol)..all of which were fully owned (ie not on a mortgage)..have 2 cars (keep trying to conince mum not to buy a new one lol..waste of money imo)..in terms of salary..well..only mum left now and shes been unemployed since meeting my farther..so we live on the interest that we get from having money in the bank..oh well..enough to send me to private school etc.

so in all id guess probably middle class..or "upper middle class"...
ps forgot to mention when we first came to the country we had the chance to buy a "title" of some scottish noble...for very cheap..like 300k or something...included a castle (or an option to buy one..dont rember..i was very young)..if only my mum hadnt stopped my farther agreeing..you people could have been refering to me as Sir...or w/e :frown:
In terms of how much money my family have and the job that my dad has and my attitude to life then I'm working class. But my mum has always tried to make my attitudes more middle class and she despises the fact that I don't do what she wants.
Reply 184
Archkinkist
The very idea of stereotyping a person through the happenstance of their financial or other situation is derogatory and pointless. Class does not exist but in the minds of the misguided and blind. We are one group; the human race. Any further division by above described means can only serve to create a splintering mentality of superiority or inferiority which is perceived but does not exist, and is detrimental to our supposedly egalitarian society.

I believe that you may be a bit misguided. I do not mean to offend you at all, and as much as I wish that a social class system does not exist, it quite simply, and unfortunately, does.

It may not be as simple as lower, middle and upper class anymore, but it is definitely still there - and we see the consequences of it everyday, in housing, diet, and perhaps most importantly health.
I'm sorry but anyone who says the class system is dead is a bit naive. It's perhaps more transient then it used to be, but it still exists. Someone like abrp has mixed roots but to me luxury flats houses in Florida and Russia and private education says to me that you have grown up in an upper class lifestyle. My family lives in a 3 bedroom semi in suburban london, to me that's middle class.
Reply 186
Lib North
My arse it is.

how many claasses would u say there were then. outline it (briefly of course)
HagerVor
Imo, reading a broadsheet is middle class upwards rather than lower working class, irrelevent of what broadsheet it is.

what about the Daily Mail and Chelsea mums?!

I read the FT and Economist - any particular class that is identified with?!!!!

:wink:
ooh i read those as well.

although i admit i hate how huge hte F.T is!

i usually wait to get back home and lay it down on the floor to read it:redface: :redface:
Reply 189
I'm with the Arckhanist.

(a working class hero is something to be):rolleyes: :wink:
I don't really class myself.

I'm certainly not as low as a chav, and certainly not as high as upper class.

Other than that, I don't like to be "boxed".
Your class doesn't box you, it's just who are you are, the way you where raised and what shapes you. It's like the town you where born in you can't change that, that will always be where you came from, but you can move town in later life.
Reply 192
I would say that my family have gone from being working class to lower middle class.
My dads a Royal Marine Sgt Major (Gets around £30.000 - £35.000 a year)
My mums a district nurse for the NHS (and gets around £40.000)

I aim to join the Army as a officer, so I guess that would make me middle class when I start getting paid and climb up the rank structure.
Reply 193
Money is not the main source of grouping social classes is it? You wouldn't say David Beckham is upper class
abrp
ooh i read those as well.

although i admit i hate how huge hte F.T is!

i usually wait to get back home and lay it down on the floor to read it:redface: :redface:

haha, i'm afraid i haven't quite mastered the art of the flick/turn that my father, and probably yours too seem to do so expertly...

My friends all laugh at me (well the girls anyway) - I love Martin Lukes - there are so many people like that it's hilarious - did you know that Lucy Kellaway pens it?
Reply 195
family are middle class
but me iam lower middle class
Reply 196
andy_1989
Money is not the main source of grouping social classes is it? You wouldn't say David Beckham is upper class

oioi david from my area lolol :biggrin:
Reply 197
middle class i think
coz i have only 1 car
my rich frnds have so many cars and money :smile:
I'd say upper middle class for me,
Reply 199
andy_1989

Of course not.

The upper classes are all skint anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending