Turn on thread page Beta

which social class are you? watch

• View Poll Results: Which class are you?
    working class
    21.01%
    lower middle class
    21.66%
    middle class
    48.14%
    upper class
    9.19%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    But I have less than £1000 in the bank = very working class.
    Come off it! Have you ever been stuck behind a member of the aristocracy in a shop queue? Typically they have to go through about five different credit cards before they find one that isn't maxed-out.

(Original post by Timeslikethese)
    The class system is archaic.
    I disagree, but I don't think it has anything to do with how much your annual salary is either. It has changed from what it used to be (I'd say there's not really an upper-working anymore - it jumps from underclass and lower-working to lower-middle these days)

(Original post by bohemian)
    Financially lower middle class, both my parents are music teachers but they pay 2 sets of private school fees and shell out a lot for various music things...however, no tabloid has ever been brought into the house, radio 3/4 are the only stations ever on, I was brought up to believe that TV is evil and my dad read me Dickens and simple French books when I was 5. What a snob :p:
    The username is very apt in that case.

(Original post by BellaCat)
    I refuse to be 'classified'.
    Don't worry, that's for other people to do, not you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Segat1)
    :hugs: sweetie
    And you! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on definition really. I'm pretty sure i'm middle class, but i wouldn't know what to say about "upper, middle, lower etc" stuff.

As far as i'm concerned your class isn't really linked to your income, but more the way you were brought up and the way you behave.

Someone with a (decent) degree is pretty much middle class just because they are well educated.

I know some very poor but very clever and pleasant people. and i'd consider then my equals even though i might be a bit richer.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the class system is relevent anymore....You get hideously crass people who are disgustingly wealthy, so 'upper class', yet look at them!! They have absolutely no 'class' whatsoever....They're cringeworthy. It's pretty much extinct in that respect, you only have to watch the revolting people on TV at the moment.

I'm probs upper middle. I went to a boarding school, Prince Charles went to school with my dad, he now works for E&Y and lives in London whilst having a house down here and another abroad. He lives with my stepmum who went to CLC and she has a house in Kensington and many down here. They're both about as old school as you get....

Then again, I live with my Mum and Stepdad. My stepdad is completely self-made in the last 20 years and has 3 clubs, 2 pubs, approx 30 flats and 15 houses. He still speaks with a thick Devon accent, he finds it extremely difficult to write, he doesn't read newspapers and finds it impossible to spend money on decadent things, he hates flashy people and is much happier at our village pub with a pot roast than some city restaurant with a lemon drizzle, he's also never set foot in London and probably never been further than Bristol (where his daughter lives). Having said, he's incredibly intelligent. I don't know many people who can teach themselves how to make millions on the stockmarket through watching Bloomberg on sky...
    Mum didn't go to university, however, she's very intelligent and was a model until she was 21. Her money was made when she divorced my dad Ideal, which is now all in property.
    Me? I hunt, have 3 horses, have had a horse since I was 2, have always had a labrador in tow, live in a 10 bed house in the country, have a 6 bed one on the market...

However, I'm paying my own way through university, I've never taken anything I've had for granted and never expect something for nothing. So despite being essentially 'upper class' I make a conciencious effort to make my own way in life and firmly believe that parents are there to support you emotionally and not pay out every three seconds, though the allowance is nice.

ReputationRep:
    Transcendent.

ReputationRep:
    Both my parents are from working class family's [very much so] but "bettered" themselves so to speak. All their siblings, pretty much, have done the same. My parents now own a 10-bedroomed house with a swimming pool behind gates and lots of land, so I guess we're very middle class in terms of wealth.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hazard a guess and say my family in general are middle class.

As for myself, well, i'm currently at University, am an avid reader of The Telegraph and The Times, very much a Tory voter and I aspire to become an Officer in the British Army. To top it all off I have a very strong Wiltshire accent and a big fan of real ale.

ReputationRep:
    Middle Middle class with one side of my ancestry working class and the other upper middle so i guess they kind of even out.

ReputationRep:
    I thought upper class was the aristocracy such as the lords,ladies and royals of the country, so we have 6 memebers of the aristocracy on TSR ?!!/?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    I thought upper class was the aristocracy such as the lords,ladies and royals of the country, so we have 6 memebers of the aristocracy on TSR ?!!/?:confused:
    Well theres a lot of ambiguity over what exactly constitutes Upper Class as opposed to Upper Middle. Personally i would class the Aristocracy as an entirely seperate class, opposite to the similarly seperate beggars/deliberately unemployed/welfare leechers , which between them sandwhich the Working, Middle and Upper classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)

Well I would be had the title not been revoked!

ReputationRep:
    Like already mentioned,class is a social construction. Those who choose to ignore class, chooses to ignore inequality and power relations.

There is no doubt that some people have more influence and power than others, this is strongly corelated with class, is it not?

Now the real issue appears to be the best mesure of class?

The national child development has tried to objectify classm thye use several categories, 7 or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Financially, middle class.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody read any early Jean Rhys - depicting fallen upper-middle class women drinking themselves to death in Parisian hotel rooms - they illustrate that social mobility cuts both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Come off it! Have you ever been stuck behind a member of the aristocracy in a shop queue? Typically they have to go through about five different credit cards before they find one that isn't maxed-out.
    No, I can't say I've had that pleasure. Was it the Laird of the land?

I disagree, but I don't think it has anything to do with how much your annual salary is either. It has changed from what it used to be (I'd say there's not really an upper-working anymore - it jumps from underclass and lower-working to lower-middle these days)
    That is a result of the scorn poured upon certain members of society for the class into which they were born - a little irrational because, as far as I am aware an individual has no control over the circumstances into which they were born. Unless you know something I don't. Perhaps there was some kind of pre-birth gladiatorial contest, the outcome of which was to determine our status in life.

The username is very apt in that case.

Don't worry, that's for other people to do, not you.
    I'm not worrying. At the moment I am in a position in employment and uni which makes it easy to dismiss the simplistic views of others. What other people think of me is none of my concern.

Besides I spent my teenage years in Youth theatre so, with me, what you see isn't necessarily what you'll get.

ReputationRep:
    I feel confused about my class. My Dad went to Uni on a full scholarship and they have 'middle-class' jobs but after that it gets confusing. I live in a falling apart tiny house, I've never been on holiday, my parents are very uncultured and unaware of anything topical bar their day-to-day lives, I have about 4 outfits in my wardrobe to wear, yesterday my Mum spent the last money she could possibly get out of the bank on cigarettes and so we have no money bar about 50p I have in my purse until she gets paid and their alcoholism/depression stems from their 'troubled' poverty-stricken childhoods (not excusing it by any means). I would probably class myself as working class simply because I haven't had the opportunities and security related to the middle class but I'm sure there would be working class people who would disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Could this be more useful in terms of Demographics? Like a demographic roundup of the people of TSR? A B C1 C2 etc etc...

Just a tiny thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t-a-r-online)
    Could this be more useful in terms of Demographics? Like a demographic roundup of the people of TSR? A B C1 C2 etc etc...

Just a tiny thought!
    More useful? It's already proved its use; I was arguing with someone and I've been proved right.

Demographics? I don't think people would know which letter they are - I certainly don't.

I think there is a slightly worrying ratio of middle:working class people on here (now I see why I get all the "die commie" rep :p: ). But seriously, I wonder why that is. Perhaps that working class people are dropping out of school earlier and so generally don't go on a site like this which is [obviously] full of "geeks"?

I'm genuinely wondering, anyone got any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    erm .. i dont really know :confused:

Never understood classes

ReputationRep:
    Financially, working class. Otherwise, lower middle class.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.