Turn on thread page Beta

which social class are you? watch

• View Poll Results: Which class are you?
    working class
    21.01%
    lower middle class
    21.66%
    middle class
    48.14%
    upper class
    9.19%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    er...I was talking about "rule" by the government after you were going on about the politicians representing the working classes.
    I agree. Politicians do not represent the people at all, they are a load of crooks and villains.

Just like there's profit to be made on all rail routes? :rolleyes:
    Yep, private investment has been a big boost to most railways. More people are using trains now than they ever did under Government control, trains are late far less often, and the companies are keeping on top of the overwhelming demand by shifting huge amounts of passangers in return for a bit of profit.
    Railways aren't THAT profitable anyway, most of the companies in charge are struggling to make ends meet atm. I know that for quite some time GNER was running the massive east coast mainline in negative equity, and as soon as they started making some profit 2 years ago they splashed out on a new fleet of rather nice trains.

Businesses will go for the easy areas where they can maximise profit. It's what businesses do.
    Yes, and?

I have read it, I've also read their leaflets and other propaganda.

but you said:
    "after all, the communist machine makes things like 'deportation' so much easier."

I really don't think the BNP are communist.....
    The BNP obviously aren't communist in the true sense of the word. What I was saying is that, like communists, they use state machinery to achieve their aims.
    I was pointing out that the strength of the State is the strength of the Fascists. If the State was reduced to such a level that Libertarians propose, the BNP's racist, homophobic, arogant policies would simply be impossible to implement.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4976920.stm

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the class system exists today - at least not the way it used to. It's only perpetuated by people classifying themselves like this. It's distingrating with immigration anyway- the influx of people in to this country that don't fit any of the sterotypes that this systems carries. Which is a bloody good thing.

I think the class system is horrible thing anyway: why do people need to do this to themselves?! why does it matter? why should the 'class' of person I am depend on what my mum and dad do - that's nothing I have any control over, I'm not responsible for it, why should it be used to label ME?

the quicker people stop think in these terms, the better. The only that matters is where you're going, where you're from is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say financially and in upbringing: working class, but in attitudes and beliefs: lower middle class.

ReputationRep:
    i dont believe in social class but as im a student i guess that im middle
    social class is just silly and divides everyone up and just cause arugements but then i am a liberal and yeah
    hehe
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Probably upper middle class if I am being forced to classified myself but I don't think that the class system exists any more really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    Upper scale of the middle class but we are really down to earth.

Combined Salary ~ £60,000 and quite a big house
    yeah, I can tell. :rolleyes:

:p:

Why is this thread still going? It's served its purpose of proving me right.

ReputationRep:
    I'd consider myself middle class. My household income is ~£100,000, with a large house (for 8 people though). I've worked since I was 15, I'm paying my way through uni, never went to private school and vote Tory.

ReputationRep:
    As for Thud getting pissy - now that she started this thread she'll just have to deal with it..

I put middle class as that's what my family is like now: Dad's a university lecturer in Economics, mum's a housewife, flat in expensive area of central london. Middle class beliefs and outlook...

However my dad's family is descended from Scottish royalty, we have our own family crest, and at one point had our own coinage. My great grandfather was an MP for the Tory Party during Lloyd George's premiership.

So does that make me middle or upper class...??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucho22)
    As for Thud getting pissy - now that she started this thread she'll just have to deal with it..
    no, it was a joke. I could lock the thread if i wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    Working class 100%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flash6289)
    I'd say financially and in upbringing: working class, but in attitudes and beliefs: lower middle class.
    Ahhh the great attitude and belief divide between the working and lower middle classes!

ReputationRep:
    Wow so many people here have incomes of £60k + are they for real? I'm not sure how I would define myself, possibly lower middle class or maybe middle middle class? Erm neither my parents went to university yet they both have 'graduate' paying jobs- my dad's a paramedic and head of mid wales ambulance and my mum has her own buisness, so our household income is considerably higher than many of my friends' who would probably consider themselves middle class and who's parents went to university etc. In terms of lifestyle, I don't know my parents read The Times and I like The Guardian but I only tried houmous last year...(it tasted yucky- never again)

Hmmm, this isn't even relevant anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Parents grew up on council estates. Dad managed to get to university, now a teacher. Mum managed to work her way up into a fairly senior role at the civil service.

Working class in roots, lower middle class in outlook. I've only seen lower middle class, so this is what I'd define myself as.

ReputationRep:
    Somewhat-educated working class.

ReputationRep:
    how comes under-class isnt one of the options?:p: Im not saying i am but just wondered

:tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    Wow interesting thread! Mine has changed many times since I was a toddler :cool:

I was born in a rather impoverished industrial part of Melbourne, north-west in case blackswan is reading this

But then my mum got promoted to nurse manager and we moved to a slightly richer suburb, and then my DAD got into government so for 5 years we were really really rich!

We ended up moving to Canada and buying a huge house there, I went to school in Toronto it was awesome.

And anyway, then my dad's posting ran out (he had some, boring, wheat industry job) and we moved back to Australia, but Sydney this time, then back to Melbourne when my parents got divorced.

Then, coz the divorce was heaps expensive, we became average/middle class again

But anyway... it doesn't matter that much because I ended up quite comfortably in middle class and am about to graduate at a good uni so it's ok. And Canberra is a very middle-class city so it's all stable now.

If I were a bit more ambitions I'd be at Newcastle uni now studying physiotherapy but maybe I'll do that later.

ReputationRep:
    What's happened to upper middle class?

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My parents originally come from working class backgrounds. One grandad worked fixing trains the other worked down the pit. Where I come from though, class isn't important, it’s like it doesn't exist. My parents have had to work all their lives (since they left school at 15 and they never had the chance to go to uni). My dad now is a supervisory manager for a rail firm while my mum's a homemaker. He’s on a good wage now so mum doesn't have to work. We own our own house (mortgage fully paid) and go abroad often.

I am the 1st in my family to go to University and my family are proud of where I have got to. My LEA can’t pay anything towards tuition fees and I am only entitled to 75% of my student loan due to my dad’s income. I'm studying Biology at Uni and hope to go into teaching afterwards. It’s really confusing because I really have no idea where to classify myself now. I would say lower middle class but I'm not sure.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.