Turn on thread page Beta

which social class are you? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which class are you?
    working class
    21.01%
    lower middle class
    21.66%
    middle class
    48.14%
    upper class
    9.19%

ReputationRep:
    I would say middle class, but with a strong working class heritage. Theres pretty much no accumulated wealth in our family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_world)
    In terms of lifestyle, I don't know my parents read The Times and I like The Guardian but I only tried houmous last year...(it tasted yucky- never again)

Hmmm, this isn't even relevant anymore.
    I only tried houmous a few weeks ago lol - tried falafel yet? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Is the difference between middle and upper class about money or heritage?

Thanks.
    Heritage definitely. I don't know about where you are, but the upper classes up here are all skint. The number of times I've seen them in shops going through a couple of credit cards, having them declined and finally resorting to the cheque book while the queue behind them mounts are many. One of the marks of being upper class is not giving a toss about money or knowing anything about finances or budgeting.

Unless you wear linen trousers, have a name with at least a territorial designation (ie, Whatever of Wherever), have a car that's at least ten years old and have at least one serious structural problem with your house then you're not upper class in my opinion. Oh, and having a proper job is of course entirely out of the question. Shooting one's ghillie puts one up a notch too, as does having absolutely no regard for political correctness - the most amusing example of this is one local aristo who calls one of his dogs 'Wog'.

It's a beautiful lifestyle.

(Original post by Talya)
    What if you were middle class but then suddenly got a lot of money, are you then upper class?
    Lord, no.

ReputationRep:
    My mum left school with a few GCSE's but was never really academic. I was brought up on a council estate, got upgraded to housing association and we're still there. Could never afford to own our own place where we live (thats central london for you). Mum is in the process of setting up her own business and is back at college. No dad on the scene. Income doesn't hit £10,000 so is subsidised by benefits. I always got free school meals and get the full loan/grant.

I would say i was impoverished, but on my estate people don't pay their rent on time but they all have SkyTV (except us! :p: ). I went to a comprehensive school, there are no grammar schools where i live and the best chance of a good eduation was a religious school, which i didn't get into. High crime/teenage pregnancy rate in my area and a high level of poverty. So i'm guessing based on education and wealth, we're working class.

But then i'm studying medicine. So by definition i go from lower working class to upper middle just like that?! I find it all very strange.

ReputationRep:
    I LIDL class! Hah, Hah!

ReputationRep:
    yep , its not about money at all. You could scrape a living and still be firmly upper - middle class, or you could be rolling in it and be a complete chav. It's about how you see the world and yourself, although money often shapes how you do this.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I'm middle class, but my parents consider themselves working class due to their upbringing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not buying into all this upper middle crap either - just because you want people to think you have more money, just appears crass IMO, and shows how insecure you are
    (
    Lots of sociologists do consider there is an "upper-middle class".

I don´t really know what I am :

* Both parents have a Master´s degree
    * Father is and auditor, Mother an Operations Manager in a big company
    * We own 3 houses, one in France, one in NY and one in Portugal
    * I have a pony
    * We go abroad 2 or 3 times a year (cross-continental trips) and stay at 3/4/5 star hotels.
    * My parents will be able to afford university and living expenses (eg : nice ensuite single room while paying international fees at an english uni) for me without my having to work while studying
    * My great-grandparents on Father´s side were aristocrats
    * Combined income is around 170 k/190 dollars (something like 85k pounds or 95 k pounds) .

Please don´t think I´m bragging, I just want to know what class do you think I am in because I myself don´t know if it´s middle/upper-middle/upper.

SO WHAT AM I ???? ^confused^

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you post that already Manon?

I'd say you're upper middle class but then thats strictly on the information you've given me.

I have no studies or proof to back this up, just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, I didn't actually answer this. I'd say I'm firmly in the middle class camp - of my family, I'm a law student, I don't think there was ever any expectation that I wouldn't go to uni - I have two older siblings, one is a teacher, one is a doctor.

My mother would probably identify with being working class despite a private education and her lifestyle since she is from one of the biggest Labour families to have ever skulked around this area - plenty of provosts (a head of a council in Scotland, like a mayor) and the like amongst them.

Being so dully middle class is incredibly boring to my mind though, but at least I got the advantage of being brought up in probably the most incredible place imaginable, it's only now though that I see how privileged I was.

Anyway, I endeavour to go a bit higher up the class chain than the parents yet.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I linger somewhere in-between working-class and middle-class.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know. I would say upper-middle class.

The British class system is annoying. Like any of it matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    I only tried houmous a few weeks ago lol - tried falafel yet? :p:
    No I have yet to taste this mysterious substance called 'falafel'...

I am middle middle class. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_world)
    No I have yet to taste this mysterious substance called 'falafel'...
    How do you pronounce that?

Fah-lah-fuhl

or

Fa-la-fehl

?

I find the former infinitely more amusing.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say.. I'm at uni.. but now I only have one parent who is out of work for medical reasons, although the house (4 bedrooms, in a quiet village) is ours and I live in uni accommodation during term time.. hmm

then again when dad was still alive and working, the household income was only around £15,000 a year (I think!)..

My mum's parents were quite well off when she was a kid though (in Portugal).. My grandad was a director for singer (the company) but then he got made redundant and now runs the family shoe shop.. which isn't doing so well these days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    How do you pronounce that?

Fah-lah-fuhl

or

Fa-la-fehl

?

I find the former infinitely more amusing.

Well, personally I'd go with the latter with the emphasis on the 'fel' bit, however my austrailian friend would go with the former and emphasises the 'la' but we all know that they don't speak proper english (hides screen...)
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Manon)
    I'm not buying into all this upper middle crap either - just because you want people to think you have more money, just appears crass IMO, and shows how insecure you are

* We own 3 houses, one in France, one in NY and one in Portugal
    * I have a pony
    * We go abroad 2 or 3 times a year (cross-continental trips) and stay at 3/4/5 star hotels.
    * My parents will be able to afford university and living expenses (eg : nice ensuite single room while paying international fees at an english uni) for me without my having to work while studying
    * Combined income is around 170 k/190 dollars (something like 85k pounds or 95 k pounds) .
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    :rolleyes:
    Don't you think it's a bit of a double standard that people can talk about how they grew up in't hole in't road til the cows come home, yet mention some fairly moderate wealth and you're lambasted as some sort of snob.

This is the reason no one around me discusses money or financial standing - but I think that's a peculiarly Scottish thing: if you're piss poor, I don't want to know; if you're filthy rich, I equally don't want to know.

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry if I came across as a ****, I didn´t mean to , just wanted to know where ppl would place me because I don´t consider myself a good judge of social class. And the first sentence was a quote, to which I answered that there is such a thing as upper-middle.

I see there are double standards, but I understand them. Although it is amusing to notice that nowadays it is "bad" to have been born with a silver spoon in one´s mouth, whereas a hundred years ago it was quite the contrary.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.