Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im really embarrassed and depressed at the moment. Ive let my family down and have lost some confidence in myself. Im desperate to get into a Uni but i really dont want to go through another 2 years of college. I would just really like to know if there any kind of fast track courses available? Secondly is it possible for me to do an access course at age 18?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dammitjustdammit)
    Im really embarrassed and depressed at the moment. Ive let my family down and have lost some confidence in myself. Im desperate to get into a Uni but i really dont want to go through another 2 years of college. I would just really like to know if there any kind of fast track courses available? Secondly is it possible for me to do an access course at age 18?
    Calm down i had really bad a levels too but i got into a good uni now, just take a year or two out and retake or do new a levels and study harder.

ReputationRep:
    I would but ive lost confidence in my abilities, this is after all the second time ive done my as levels. I want to know what kind of fast track course i can do or whether i can do an access course at age 18. I really want to do accounting at University and im worried because I never achieved good grades in maths not because I didnt understand but because I didnt completely revise for it.

ReputationRep:
    When you say you failed, what grades did you actually get it?

There are several options
    - foundation year followed by a three year degree (only available at some unis, for some courses)
    - foundation course / HND followed by a top up year
    - take some time out, work, become focused on where you want to go in life, and then go down the Access Course route when you're focused on where you want to go and how you want to get there. Many people find that taking time out from education is highly effective.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I needed some advice. I'm studying Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics at A-level. I applied for Chemical engineering starting in September 2013 and received offers from UCL (AAB offer), Surrey (ABB) and Nottingham (AAA). Unfortunately I got CCD in August and I'm currently retaking the A2 year.

My mum has been suffering from postnatal depression for the past 18 years (just after my birth) and from a very young age I and my sister's have had to be very independent because of this.

It has been very difficult for me to concentrate on studies while caring for my mother and taking responsibility of household duties such as cooking, cleaning for the whole family etc.. (My mother and father are not educated and my father is always working to provide financial support for his children).

I feel as a result of my childhood upbringing that I didn't value the importance of education as much I should have. And for that reason I left revision very late and ended up with CCD in August 2013.

I then decided that I wanted to retake my A2 year because seeing all of my friends get to university made me wake up and value education a lot more. I applied to chemical engineering again and received offers from UCL (AAA offer) and Surrey (AAB) again.

This year I have revised with a lot more dedication and have been managing the responsibility of household duties at the same time. I am in the middle of my exams and have one more exam left on Friday.

2 weeks ago just after my exams had started my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was really hard to take. I was so confused about what to do about my future.

As a result my exams have gone really bad this year and I do not think I'm going to meet the offers. All my hard work has gone to waste. While sitting the exams I literally went blank in every exam. I think I might get BBC in August 2014.

I really want to do chemical engineering and have a big passion for it. I know I have the potential to do it and I was predicted AAB by my teachers for August 2013.

I don't want to go through clearing for Chemical engineering because the universities that have had spaces in the past have a poor reputation for the course. This would mean with my A level results (BBC) and the degree at a low end university I won't be getting a good job. And it is really important that I get a good job to help my dad pay off the mortgage as he wants to retire in about 5 years.

I don't know whether I should go through clearing and retake a levels alongside my first year at university or retake the A2 year for a second time and apply to a decent university. Would retaking A2 twice decrease my chances of receiving an offer?

And could I transfer into the second year of chemical engineering at a better university if I get good results in the first year of a low end university and good grades in my a level results?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    @ dammitjustdammit - you may feel down in the dumps now, but that doesn't mean that you will feel the same in 2 years' time if you follow the advice given elsewhere.

Also, please seriously consider whether education and further education is right for you. It isn't right for everybody, and schools ram university down people's throats in order to meet targets and look good. You haven't let anybody down with any results you might have got, least of all your family. If anybody tells you different then they're an idiot.

@BT07 - this may be worthy of another thread in itself. You have highly-extenuating circumstances; did you tell anybody at your school at the time? If not, you must do so now. You should also seek advice from your school as to how you go about notifying your university choices. Clearing is not your only option, but the advice you take should be from professionals at school and not us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filthynines)
    @ dammitjustdammit - you may feel down in the dumps now, but that doesn't mean that you will feel the same in 2 years' time if you follow the advice given elsewhere.

Also, please seriously consider whether education and further education is right for you. It isn't right for everybody, and schools ram university down people's throats in order to meet targets and look good. You haven't let anybody down with any results you might have got, least of all your family. If anybody tells you different then they're an idiot.

@BT07 - this may be worthy of another thread in itself. You have highly-extenuating circumstances; did you tell anybody at your school at the time? If not, you must do so now. You should also seek advice from your school as to how you go about notifying your university choices. Clearing is not your only option, but the advice you take should be from professionals at school and not us.
    Thank you for your reply. I don't think my school is going to help much. I go to a sixth form and during my AS level my attendance to lessons was very poor and I ended up with CCCE at the end of AS. The following year in A2 my attendance again was very poor and ended up with CCD. When I asked my head of sixth form if she would let me retake A2 at the same sixth form she initially said no because she felt my results were because of not attended to lessons and laziness and she felt that I would not change in the repeating year. (She was not aware of my circumstances and neither were any of my teachers).

My head of sixth form would only let me come back to retake if my subject teachers wrote to her persuading her that I should be given another chance. My teachers had written the letter as they felt I had potential to a achieve higher than CCD. I was then let back into the sixth form but was warned that I must attend all lessons in the repeating year.

Once again my attendance was poor to college this year even though it was a lot better than last time. At this point all my subject teachers had given up on me especially my head of sixth form. My subject teachers feel as though I'm very arogant and ignorant now because my attitude towards studies hadn't improved even in the repeating year. This feeling became stronger towards me when I hadn't performed well in all 3 end of term tests (showing that I am not studying).

Although my attendance to lessons wasn't great and my results in the end of term tests were not good, after my third end of term test I started working really hard up until my exams (about a 3 months period). And because I was so behind with the rest of the class I used to attend lessons and try and catch up with the class by working independently at the back of the class. My teachers let me do this because they had given up on me and let me do what I wanted.

When it came to the exam I felt as though I was ready and was confident.

Once my teachers see BBC in August 2014 I don't think any of my teachers will help me because they had a feeling that I wasn't going to do well this year after my poor attendance and bad attitude towards studies in the repeating year and my circumstances do not explain my poor attendance to lessons and bad attitude towards studies. I am the only one to blame for that.

This leaves me with two options I guess... either retake A levels for the second time privately (which universities would probably look down upon) or go to a low end university for my course through clearing with the results BBC and retake A level modules alongside my first year at university.

ReputationRep:
    You've mentioned your Head of Sixth Form; if s/he is not willing to help then go straight to Headmaster and ask for help there. Explain your situation. It *may* be that you are not helped further, but if you don't ask then you don't get.

If you're not helped by the teaching staff at all, then approach the board of governors to find out why you are not getting the help you need.

At the same time (not before or after, at the same time) you MUST contact the universities and make them aware of your extenuating circumstances. If you don't then they will reject you without a second thought. If you make them aware at this early stage then they may make additional allowances for you.

I know this is a stressful time, but please be slow to make guesses at what your options are. You don't have to deal with this alone, but you must help yourself to put yourself in the best possible position.

ReputationRep:
    Listen mate, I know how you feel, its completely normal and everyone gets hit HARD by it at some point in their life but Uni is not, and I repeat, IS NOT everything. It is mainly all down to personal preference. I did a year at Aberdeen doing Archaeology, hated it. I loved all the new friends I had made and all the times around it but university IS NOT for everybody. I have left and gone into an Engineering apprenticeship. Mainly, I want to travel the world, and I always wanted a job that could fund that. Engineering is just that, so now I am in an apprenticeship with Terasaki. In 4 years I will be (no word of a lie), earning £80k a year. With no university degree in Engineering. Electrical or mech. It's all about getting experience today and there is no point pursuing a profession that you will potentially be unhappy with for the rest of your life. I went to uni, made amazing friend but started to develop depression and anxiety as work piled up with bills. You have the whole of your life to mould everything, just keep your choices open and there is always a way to do something you love for the rest of your life, and I can understand how hard it can be. Trust me. But now I am home with my family who are supporting me through this apprenticeship and soon enough, I will be travelling the world making a comfortable wage, and living my life amazingly. You should do the same, and there is nothing stopping you. Uni is a waste of TIME and MONEY if you don't enjoy you life in your profession. Just think about the possibilities.
    Good luck.
    x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.