Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've asked a few times on suggestions for a laptop but now i've got into birmingham i've decided to get a laptop
    Price range £300-500, able to play videos/films/ web browse/ multi task with ease, reliability as id like it to last my four years at uni, possibly play games (at most footy manger will do!)

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    I've asked a few times on suggestions for a laptop but now i've got into birmingham i've decided to get a laptop
    Price range £300-500, able to play videos/films/ web browse/ multi task with ease, reliability as id like it to last my four years at uni, possibly play games (at most footy manger will do!)

Thanks in advance!
    Congrats on the uni place

I would go for this personally. A nice meaty processor that will last through a couple of years of standard student fare, plenty of RAM for multitasking, and a relatively nice GPU for any gaming you'd want to do. Lenovo are also a very trustworthy brand :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Congrats on the uni place

I would go for this personally. A nice meaty processor that will last through a couple of years of standard student fare, plenty of RAM for multitasking, and a relatively nice GPU for any gaming you'd want to do. Lenovo are also a very trustworthy brand :yy:
    ill check that out, can i get anything similar ~£400

ive decided gaming isnt key at all, a bonus would be to play footy manager , as ill be getting an xbox one

ReputationRep:
    ill check that out, can i get anything similar ~£400
    You can drop the dedicated graphics (which if the most you're going to be doing is FM won't be a huge loss) and some RAM/HDD capacity (both of which are easy and cheap to upgrade yourself) and get an Ivybridge i5 machine that will retain most of the performance of that one when it comes to anything non-intensive :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    You can drop the dedicated graphics (which if the most you're going to be doing is FM won't be a huge loss) and some RAM/HDD capacity (both of which are easy and cheap to upgrade yourself) and get an Ivybridge i5 machine that will retain most of the performance of that one when it comes to anything non-intensive :yep:
    i made a slight edit, yes fm is this only game ill play on my laptop. any links ?

ReputationRep:
    'a uni for laptop' or a laptop for uni? Definitely go ahead to websites like laptopsdirect and browse a little! Remember to go for fairly small laptops, bigger ones may be a little big to lug around to lectures?

ReputationRep:
    £9000 a year is a lot for a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToLiveInADream)
    'a uni for laptop' or a laptop for uni?
    D' oh!!

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance!
    Football manager easily playable on integrated graphics card.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_...d_1337331.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshi...8_1346510.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshi...7_1346519.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_G580_1385696.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-350V...samsung+laptop

ReputationRep:
    out of those ive read reviews, it seems the lenovo g580 is the best, would you agree?

ReputationRep:
    out of those ive read reviews, it seems the lenovo g580 is the best, would you agree?
    Totally up to you, I picked the above because they are from the top end of the makers who are generally reliable, etc

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Iqbal007)
    Totally up to you, I picked the above because they are from the top end of the makers who are generally reliable, etc
    Any of you guys got the Lenovo G580 and having problems with the trackpad/touchpad? Mine seems to be faulty, the top left corner of the trackpad is quite unresponsive, causing the cursor be clicking/dragging icons, without me intending to.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.