Applying to Vet School's & GCSE results Watch

This discussion is closed.
Brendon
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi,

I am currently in my first year of A Levels and I am looking to apply to read Veterinary Medicine.

I recently attended the open day for the Royal Veteinary School (RVC) and they gave a presentation on applying etc.

They mentioned that the staff responsible for reviewing the UCAS forms and dishing out interview generally look for 5 GCSE's grade A. I only have 4 GCSE grade A, but I am on line for 3/4 A-Levels grade A.

Can anyone offer any advice as to how important this really is etc and if there is anything that I can do to improve my chances/distract away from the fact that I only have 4 GCSE grade A instead of 5.

Many thanks,

Brendon.
silverchaired1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hi there!
Well, my boyfriend is off to Liverpool this year to do vet science. He also got an offer from the Royal Vet College. I don't really know how much the gcse's affect your application but I will say that my b/f's gcses were 3A*, 4A, 3B
Which if you look at some peoples results on this forum is nothing to write home about (he got double A* in science though, which helps). He applied the first time and despite having those results and 5 A's at AS level, he didn't get any offers, not even any interviews. He applied for a second year after getting AABB (bio, chem, physics + maths respectively), got 2 interviews...again no offers. Applied for a 3rd year, after working his arse off even more for a year...and, yes....got 2 unconditional offers. He had a hell of a lot of work experience under his belt...which is crucial. I think that's what must have swung it. So, I say do all the work experience that you can...vet practices, farms, abbatoir, labs..anything you can, everything adds up. (my b/f had over 900 days at a rare breeds farm where he has been working every week since he was 15, he also has had a saturday job at a vets for the past 3 years).
To be honest, I've forgotten the point I was trying to make in this post! But I just want to tell you to not give up, to get all the experience you can, work your arse off and just make sure you have a damn good personal statement. MJF has an amazing personal statement and he got 4 offers for vet med this year, he might let you see it if you ask him!!
silverchaired1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh yeah, and also, if you can manage it..do 4 A levels as opposed to 3.
masterman
Report 15 years ago
I've applied to study veterinary science this year. I have one offer from Liverpool, which is good enough for me. You don't need to be a dazzling academic student, you just have to be very good (look at me, 7 A's and 3 B's at GCSE isn't exactly superb). To get in ahead of others, you must be motivated.
You could get in with 4 A's at GCSE if, as you say, you are predicted 3/4 A's at A level. What you need is a bundle of work experience which sets you out from the crowd. I spent time working in the Outer Hebridies (spelling?) which gave me an edge over people with 10 A*s at GCSE and 4 A's predicted at A-level.
Finally, I seriously recommend 'dropping' an AS subject after one year and getting the grade for it. It takes a lot of pressure off of you, and you are at no disadvantage to those studying 4 A levels.
Just ask if you want to know more. I was in exactly the same position a year ago and am more than willing to help you out or answer any questions you may have.
SlipperyWhenWet
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hi there,
I think they do look at your gcse results but it's not the only important issue. I applied to do vet med this year and now have 3 offers. I got 5A*'s, 4A's and 1B in my gcses but that was definately not the reasons I got my offers. If your A's are in science subjects, then that would be helpful. If not then you've just gotta make sure you work damn hard so that you are predicted 3A's or 2A's and B for your A Levels. I would also recommend dropping a subject at the end of this year. I was doing chem, bio, physics and geog last year but dropped geog because I did not want the extra workload, why bother if it's not necessary?
You do need to stand out though. I have a friend who had perfect grades and all the 'right' work experience but she didn't get any offers. The key thing was she didn't stand out from everyone else. I had spent two days working with vets from DEFRA and spent time in the outer hebrides of scotland (considering I'm from Essex that is pretty unusual) so it showed that I was 100% commited and that I had seen all aspects of the profession.
Just do as much work experience as possible and work hard in your subjects and make sure your personal statement is glowing!! (get as many people to read it as possible!) Feel free to pm me if you want any more info, I'd be happy to help Good Luck with it all

On a side note - masterman - wow you worked in the outer hebrides too then?! did you work with the vets there? Geert and David?
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Brendon)
Hi,

I am currently in my first year of A Levels and I am looking to apply to read Veterinary Medicine.

I recently attended the open day for the Royal Veteinary School (RVC) and they gave a presentation on applying etc.

They mentioned that the staff responsible for reviewing the UCAS forms and dishing out interview generally look for 5 GCSE's grade A. I only have 4 GCSE grade A, but I am on line for 3/4 A-Levels grade A.

Can anyone offer any advice as to how important this really is etc and if there is anything that I can do to improve my chances/distract away from the fact that I only have 4 GCSE grade A instead of 5.

Many thanks,

Brendon.
Vet Med is one of the hardest courses to get into! Thats because theres only 6 Unis that offer it. My freind has offers from Liverpool and RVC. He s predicted AAA (chem,bio,phy). He had few A*, few As and couple of Bs...
But imo it wasnt his grades that got him into vet schools...he did lots of work experience and by lots i mean LOTS....His PS was very well written.
He also had other skills to back up his application e.g. played guitar, knew abit latin, Head of Charity in sixthform...
I;d advice u to do alot of extra activities if ur thinking of applying for this course...because that's much more important than u having 1 more A at GCSE
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Brendon)
Hi,

Many thanks,

Brendon.
Not important, two of my friends have offers from the Royal Vet College. One had AABB for her AS's, one had AAAB.
Jess W
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
Vet Med is one of the hardest courses to get into! Thats because theres only 6 Unis that offer it. My freind has offers from Liverpool and RVC. He s predicted AAA (chem,bio,phy). He had few A*, few As and couple of Bs...
But imo it wasnt his grades that got him into vet schools...he did lots of work experience and by lots i mean LOTS....His PS was very well written.
He also had other skills to back up his application e.g. played guitar, knew abit latin, Head of Charity in sixthform...
I;d advice u to do alot of extra activities if ur thinking of applying for this course...because that's much more important than u having 1 more A at GCSE
If u get good grades at AS that might help overide your gcses. also, getting some unusual work experience might take the focus off your grades, but only if your AS grades are acceptable (aabb or better for vets i would say). as part of the process of looking at applications the unis discard all the applications from people without sufficient grades-they might tell you what the cut off point is but probably not! if you dont make the minimum grade they probably wont even read your application, which is a shame. im sorry, this post is getting a bit depressing; good luck for your exams and applications!

p.s. Hamal, you friend sounds scarily like me! i played guitar, know a bit of latin, was charity prefect etc and i have offers from rvc and liverpool too!
Jess W
Report 15 years ago
just remembered! from next year if u apple to rvc u will have to take the bmat (biomedical admissions test already used for vet med at cambridge). getting a good mark in this should show you are smart enough! its mentioned in rvc's new prospectus on their webpage www.rvc.ac.uk, and i think the website for the bmat is www.bmat.org.uk but not sure. hope this helps!
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jess W)
just remembered! from next year if u apple to rvc u will have to take the bmat (biomedical admissions test already used for vet med at cambridge). getting a good mark in this should show you are smart enough! its mentioned in rvc's new prospectus on their webpage www.rvc.ac.uk, and i think the website for the bmat is www.bmat.org.uk but not sure. hope this helps!
Thank god we got offers this year!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (76)
17.31%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (281)
64.01%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.78%
Not yet but I might (61)
13.9%

Watched Threads