The Student Room Group

AS results - HELP, WHAT DO I DO?

I got my AS results today and I got ABDD.

I was aiming for AAAB and this is a big blow to me and to my dreams of going to a big uni?

My prediction is going to be low and rubbish,
What can I do to still get in?

I'm so sad because I'm scared about next year and not even being able to pass.

I really don't know what to do?

Please help, any advice will be useful tbh.
Original post by doctordee

I was aiming for AAAB and this is a big blow to me and to my dreams of going to a big uni?

Remarks and/or retakes of some of your AS modules are possible if you think you could improve your results. Take a look at the guidance here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2312328

It's also very much possible to boost your overall grade with a strong performance in your A2 modules, so certainly don't lose hope. Also, speak to your teachers about what a realistic set of predicted grades will be - they should be able to offer advice on that. :smile:
Original post by doctordee

You can do it, stop freaking out. I was in this exact same position last year.

I was predicted AAB for my AS levels and came out with ACC. I was absolutely devastated as I wanted to apply for Law at Russell Groups and that seemed impossible with C grades.

I didn't give up, I stopped going out and revised ALL THE TIME. I retook both Cs and turned my AS grades into ABB. Luckily, my teachers had faith in me and predicted me what I needed to apply (AAB). I worked my butt off and got my grades for Law and am now studying LLB Law at Sheffield in September.

Don't give up all hope, for most people, like me, AS level grades are a massive wake up call that you are not working to your full potential. You know you can get A grades because you've already got one, so now work double as hard as you did this year and make sure you re-take the AS grades you need to change. Also, beg your teachers and show how dedicated you are for your predicted grades to be enough to apply for Law.

If you don't get offers, clearing is generally actually pretty good and there's often law courses there. Or apply for something a little less competitive, and use adjustment afterwards.
Low predictions will prevent you from getting a lot of offers. However, you need to speak to your teachers and find out what they're prepared to predict you before you start worrying about not getting into university. Different teachers and schools will have different levels of leniency but your motivation in lessons will work in your favour, as will any decisions to retake. Remember you can retake modules (it might give you a heavy work load but will be worth it if you put in the work) to boost your grade. If you can secure good predictions, you should be fine.

It's really not as bad as you think. Assuming you're dropping one of the D subjects, the grades that your predictions will be based of are ABD - only one 'below average' grade. A and B are both very good and can set you up for potential predictions of A*-Bs depending on your UMS, retakes, motivation for this year, and your teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest