The Student Room Group

Cardiff, Sheffield or Liverpool?! HELP

Unfortunately I missed my offer to study physics at UCL this morning. But to my joy and surprise, I've been offered physics places through clearing to Cardiff, Sheffield and Liverpool. I don't know much about any of these universities, I just applied in blind hope and panic because I knew that they had good reputations.

PLEASE can somebody give me some information about these universities to help me make the choice!

THANK YOU!

And congrats to everybody who is pleased with how today went!
Reply 1
Original post by Jessica123x
Unfortunately I missed my offer to study physics at UCL this morning. But to my joy and surprise, I've been offered physics places through clearing to Cardiff, Sheffield and Liverpool. I don't know much about any of these universities, I just applied in blind hope and panic because I knew that they had good reputations.

PLEASE can somebody give me some information about these universities to help me make the choice!

THANK YOU!

And congrats to everybody who is pleased with how today went!

Congrats to you too

Sheffield is slightly higher in the Times Table (21 with Liverpool 29 and Cardiff 32)

My daughter has just accepted a place at Liverpool (different subject) and I have to say the communication etc from the university has been excellent throughout the process

It may be worth asking on the Physics forum
All fantastic universities overall, though I don't know about their physics departments specifically. Have they all given you offers for integrated masters?

If so, next things to look at are
- what modules are available
- what's the likelihood of getting an accommodation space (Liverpool is highly unlikely, I don't know about the other two)
- what bursaries are available, if you're eligible
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
Have they all given you offers for integrated masters?

Thank you for the advice! The offers they've given me are for BSc but for Cardiff it would also have a year of professional placement which sounds good. I have a feeling that I might be able to upgrade to an MSci once I get to the uni, as most places I went to on open days gave this option - I'm looking into that currently!
Reply 4
I spent a year at Sheffield and I thought it was amazing. It's one of the best univerities in the country in terms of student experience and the quality of the Student's Union.

I have no idea about Cardiff and Liverpool, sorry.

Might be worth a look:
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/Journals/THE/THE/26_April_2012/attachments/THE_Student_Experience_Survey.pdf

Also worth noting that Sheffield offer integrated masters too, which you should be able to change onto if that's your thing.
I have been to Sheffield as a postgrad - it is a very popular uni with students and I think accommodation might be available. It is a high ranked Russell group uni too.

Friends have been to Cardiff and they loved it. Really great city - it is a capital city don't forget.

If you go to either of these two unis your money will go much further than in London.

I actually think that the night life can be better in the more compact cities too.

I don't know anything about Liverpool but I am sure you will also find lots of fans.

Good luck with your choice - you have got some good offers there.

I remember when I didn't get the results I wanted and ended up in Newcastle instead of Manchester - I thought it was the end of the world. I ended up loving Newcastle it was a brilliant uni to go to. I have stuck onmy career path, done a masters at Birmingham and now I am doing a phd. Funny how bad days can turn good :smile:
Original post by Jessica123x
Thank you for the advice! The offers they've given me are for BSc but for Cardiff it would also have a year of professional placement which sounds good. I have a feeling that I might be able to upgrade to an MSci once I get to the uni, as most places I went to on open days gave this option - I'm looking into that currently!

The professional experience does sound good - it will give you contacts and experience that will help you after you graduate.

Do actually check that it's possible to upgrade to the MSci - it is normally harder to swap from BSc to MSci than vice versa.
Reply 7
Original post by ollienbert
I have been to Sheffield as a postgrad - it is a very popular uni with students and I think accommodation might be available. It is a high ranked Russell group uni too.

Friends have been to Cardiff and they loved it. Really great city - it is a capital city don't forget.

If you go to either of these two unis your money will go much further than in London.

I actually think that the night life can be better in the more compact cities too.

I don't know anything about Liverpool but I am sure you will also find lots of fans.

Good luck with your choice - you have got some good offers there.

I remember when I didn't get the results I wanted and ended up in Newcastle instead of Manchester - I thought it was the end of the world. I ended up loving Newcastle it was a brilliant uni to go to. I have stuck onmy career path, done a masters at Birmingham and now I am doing a phd. Funny how bad days can turn good :smile:

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! (I needed it haha). Well done with your successes.
As a Cardiff student I would be biased, but Cardiff is a Russel group university, and has an excellent rep. The physics dept in particular has money thrown at it for research - I have several physics friends who love their course. Best of luck!
Reply 9
Sounds like me, I've been looking at Cardiff and Sheffield as well! I want to do journalism or just an english course. I've had a look at both and I think Cardiff suits my better and is also a Russell Group uni so that stood out for me! What did you decide in the end??
Reply 10
Original post by jbakerSE1
Sounds like me, I've been looking at Cardiff and Sheffield as well! I want to do journalism or just an english course. I've had a look at both and I think Cardiff suits my better and is also a Russell Group uni so that stood out for me! What did you decide in the end??

I also chose Cardiff in the end and am super excited to start in September!
Reply 11
Original post by jbakerSE1

Sheffield is Russell group too :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending