Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Missed offer by a margin, what do I do now? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had a lowered offer for biochem from imperial (AAB) and considering I resat YR12 I was elated; I got AAC... with the C in chem, I am 10 UMS off a B, so I've asked for a remark of one of my chem papers. Imperial has outrightly rejected me and said that only if my grade is improved will they give me a place. But chem is marked quite accuratley so I doubt there will be any change

Should I just withdraw my whole UCAS application and forget university, it clearly isn't for me... I was thinking I could apply for med (which I hoped to do at grad entry) but my GCSES are not that great, and I'm already one year behind... plus I would have to resit some chem modules..

I don't know what to do... there is nowhere in clearing that I want to go to and I don't want to go to my insurance...

My head is all over the place, someone help me pls

Edit - Misread my result slip.... I've got A*AC... I don't even... SO worried my tutor and I didn't read the papers properly.

ReputationRep:
    AAC are good A level grades, you'll be fine. Take a gapyah and apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    Well, obviously your options are quite clear - you can go through clearing and find a place (which would be easy, considering your grades) or you could take a gap year and pay to resit a module to bring up your Chemistry...
    There's no point giving up on uni, just because you didn't get into your first choice! There are plenty of great uni's around!

By the way, i got the same grades as you this year, but my C was in physics. But anywho, well done on your amazing grades, but don't worry too much about the C in Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are exponentially better than mine were at A-level - but i've got to university and finished with a 1st after first year, there's absolutely no reason you can't do the same.

ReputationRep:
    It's upsetting reading that you missed your offer by 10 UMS, it brings back memories of last year for me. If you are not interested in any of the universities in clearing, I think that you should ask for a remark and see what happens! Then, if you still haven't got the B grade, take a gap year and reapply, resitting one or two exams in Summer 2014.

I was in your situation last year, I missed an A in Chemistry by 1 UMS and remarking made the difference, I hope it does for you too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shootmenow)
    I had a lowered offer for biochem from imperial (AAB) and considering I resat YR12 I was elated; I got AAC... with the C in chem, I am 10 UMS off a B, so I've asked for a remark of one of my chem papers. Imperial has outrightly rejected me and said that only if my grade is improved will they give me a place. But chem is marked quite accuratley so I doubt there will be any change

Should I just withdraw my whole UCAS application and forget university, it clearly isn't for me... I was thinking I could apply for med (which I hoped to do at grad entry) but my GCSES are not that great, and I'm already one year behind... plus I would have to resit some chem modules..

I don't know what to do... there is nowhere in clearing that I want to go to and I don't want to go to my insurance...

My head is all over the place, someone help me pls
    Deep breaths and a good nights sleep are whats needed, AAC are no way poor results, there must be hundreds of courses available to you, its just a case of finding one. Look at off-shoot courses similar to what you would prefer, once you get in somewhere there is always a chance you can switch. Try to have a chat with the schools advisor its what they are paid for and have years of experience working out these situations, but there's no need to panic its only day one. Best of luck and be pleased with your achievement lots of guys would love to swop you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Presumably Imperial was your firm. Do you have an insurance choice and will they accept you with AAC? Have you decided you don't want to go to your insurance after all?

If your insurance have accepted you, I wouldn't make any snap decisions tonight. Just try and calm down.

You have a lot of options-
    -Retake next year and reapply.
    -Reapply without retaking next year for courses where you meet/exceed the grade requirements.
    -Go to your insurance.
    -Decide not to go to university straight away and get a job.

Can you talk this through with a parent or teacher and see what they suggest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Presumably Imperial was your firm. Do you have an insurance choice and will they accept you with AAC? Have you decided you don't want to go to your insurance after all?

If your insurance have accepted you, I wouldn't make any snap decisions tonight. Just try and calm down.

You have a lot of options-
    -Retake next year and reapply.
    -Reapply without retaking next year for courses where you meet/exceed the grade requirements.
    -Go to your insurance.
    -Decide not to go to university straight away and get a job.

Can you talk this through with a parent or teacher and see what they suggest?

Yes, my insurance (Birmingham) has given me a place but I don't want to go, I don't even know why I chose an insurance.

I've spoken to my teachers, and they want me to scramble for places in clearing, but I do not want to go to any of them.....

I'm considering taking the year out and reapplying but whilst resitting some chemistry modules. My parents just want me to go to uni, especially as I already had a year out, they don't care where.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my insurance (Birmingham) has given me a place but I don't want to go, I don't even know why I chose an insurance.
    Birmingham is an excellent university, why are you not keen?

Were you never keen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heizenburg)
    AAC are good A level grades, you'll be fine. Take a gapyah and apply next year.
    Thank you, I really tried my best so I am quite chuffed. But.. 2 gap years in total, won't that disadvantage me?

(Original post by turnip storm)
    Well, obviously your options are quite clear - you can go through clearing and find a place (which would be easy, considering your grades) or you could take a gap year and pay to resit a module to bring up your Chemistry...
    There's no point giving up on uni, just because you didn't get into your first choice! There are plenty of great uni's around!

By the way, i got the same grades as you this year, but my C was in physics. But anywho, well done on your amazing grades, but don't worry too much about the C in Chemistry
    I guess so... but I really had my heart set on Imperial. I think I will just go to bed and my mind will be a bit clearer then.

Nice one, I'm really pleased with my grades still!

I've been on the phone with a couple of unis and have had some verbal offers but I really can't just go to a random uni just like that... it's all too much at once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boundless)
    It's upsetting reading that you missed your offer by 10 UMS, it brings back memories of last year for me. If you are not interested in any of the universities in clearing, I think that you should ask for a remark and see what happens! Then, if you still haven't got the B grade, take a gap year and reapply, resitting one or two exams in Summer 2014.

I was in your situation last year, I missed an A in Chemistry by 1 UMS and remarking made the difference, I hope it does for you too.
    I don't know whether to cry or be happy! As I said above, I'm really really pleased with my grades but seeing as I didn't get into my firm uni...

So chemistry remark grades can change? I'll just wait on the remark I guess, then make a decision from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Birmingham is an excellent university, why are you not keen?

Were you never keen?
    I never was interested in Birmingham for a number of reasons... I just put them as my insurance because I felt I had to.

ReputationRep:
    I never was interested in Birmingham for a number of reasons... I just put them as my insurance because I felt I had to.

As you say - wait for the remark and see where you are at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)

As you say - wait for the remark and see where you are at
    I just took a proper look at my results slip.. I've actually got A*AC, I DIDNT EVEN REALISE :cry:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.